Out of control!! Inexperienced Maintenance Mechanics Getting Killed by equipment on the job. What is going on Plant Engineering???

DriverNerd

You missed the point completely. Of course.
No I didn't. I understood what you were getting at. Maybe you missed my point again, of course. I'm simply referring to young(er) and inexperienced people dying. I don't put all the blame on these people. We all know UPS, they don't care about safety no matter how much they spew about its importance.

Integrity

Binge Poster
It’s possible that these gentlemen knew the safety guidelines, but chose to disregard them. No amount of management can counteract that.
It is possible, but to draw any such conclusion would require detailed knowledge of the circumstances of the accident is completely unfair and rings of the “blame the worker” mentality.

UPS Plant Engineering management is not very forthcoming with the circumstances surrounding these types of accident.

It has been reported to me that they are downright hostile to any mechanics who have inquired about the details of accidents like this.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Safety violations. Strange. I've watched managers walk up and turn belts on at secured control stations, and turn the belt back on while a corrosive, fuming hazmat was puddling on the floor next to it. Management told a supervisor there at the time to stand over the puddle to "make sure nobody walks in it."
Safety is not the priority. Shareholders are.
Sadly, I can’t disagree with you on this.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Wait a minute. In a thread just down the way, it is commanded that the employee is NOT to say anything about safety or procedures. It is not their JOB! They are not to interfere or comment in any way. Just let it happen. Hyperbole? Well, that can be/is the mindset. It is illustrated here on BC everyday. Matter of fact, folks are belittled for concerns of safety and fatalities.
What thread?

I personally am not concerned if I am belittled or harassed, you?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Ok. How do you account for multi decade employees getting killed? Say Sleeper teams with 60 years experience in the cab? In the end, it is EVERYONE'S "issue".
This thread is specifically referencing 3 specific fatalities all in the Plant Engineering Dept and all related to conveyor equipment.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Safety is everyone’s personal responsibility but if new employees in particular keep getting killed it reflects very poorly on the training/management.
I agree, everyone is responsible for following all UPS safety training as part of their job or they should be fired.

Managements job is to train and ensure compliance with all UPS training and to identify and fire employees who refuse to follow all UPS Safety training.

I agree on your last point as well newer guys getting killed clearly points to a problem with the Safety Culture of the Plant Engineering Dept.

Integrity

Binge Poster
OK. So team up with some of your fellow part-time supervisors and send that message up the corporate chain of command where there are people who can actually do something about it.
It has been a long time since I was a UPS Part-time supervisor. I don’t understand your post. ????

Integrity

Binge Poster
No I didn't. I understood what you were getting at. Maybe you missed my point again, of course. I'm simply referring to young(er) and inexperienced people dying. I don't put all the blame on these people. We all know UPS, they don't care about safety no matter how much they spew about its importance.
Sadly, I agree.

quad decade guy

What thread?

I personally am not concerned if I am belittled or harassed, you?
I believe it's called "What's a driver to do?".
The belittling harassment illustrates the culture/attitudes employees can have towards safety protocol, methods and us vs them mentality. This is the first link in the chain of events. Add UPS MGTS part and a tragedy is all but assured. Yet, highly preventable. Off topic? Shrug.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Oh? Death is death. The question he proposed was open ended/not exact /vague. Most fatalities have similar chains of cause. Not exact facts but SIMILAR. All can be teachable moments. And are applicable.
This thread is meant to be for discussion about the specific incidents mentioned as they relate to probable safety deficiencies in the UPS Plant Engineering Dept.