Out of control!! Inexperienced Maintenance Mechanics Getting Killed by equipment on the job. What is going on Plant Engineering???

Integrity

Binge Poster
I believe it's called "What's a driver to do?".
The belittling harassment illustrates the culture/attitudes employees can have towards safety protocol, methods and us vs them mentality. This is the first link in the chain of events. Add UPS MGTS part and a tragedy is all but assured. Yet, highly preventable. Off topic? Shrug.
This thread is not actually about drivers but I still don’t follow your line of reasoning.

One thing for sure is if any UPS employee driver or maintenance mechanic refuses to follow any UPS safety training, (protocol) they should be fired.

quad decade guy

I understand the thinking behind putting safety on management, and creating a "safety culture". The problem is, and I think everyone knows this, management is incompetent.

When they tell us we are the person most responsible for our own safety, it is true, except they mean that we are responsible to be safe "the UPS way", which is not true. I am responsible for my safety, keeping myself safe, in the way I know to be best, is my responsibility. The only things I can put on others is not intentionally doing something to hurt me, or making me aware of otherwise unknown hazards, but even those I don't take for granted.
Ok. But then, we watch a whole fleet of pkg cars leave the building each morning. Some, not all will speed through work zones, school zones and break every rule/method/law in the book. All easily monitored virtually/visually. Driver knows it, mgt knows it. Hub operations, PE, Automotive all relative. It's called cutting corners. All first links in the chain of events. THIS can be stopped. It takes all involved.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Ok. But then, we watch a whole fleet of pkg cars leave the building each morning. Some, not all will speed through work zones, school zones and break every rule/method/law in the book. All easily monitored virtually/visually. Driver knows it, mgt knows it. Hub operations, PE, Automotive all relative. It's called cutting corners. All first links in the chain of events. THIS can be stopped. It takes all involved.
Any safety concerns should first be brought to the work group hourly Safety Representative?

If Safety Committee fails, file a grievance.

If grievance fails, report UPS to OSHA or other outside authority.

Last edited:

FEGuy

These incidents need to be analyzed and any and every finding needs to be communicated to every UPS Maintenance Personnel Worldwide. Especially the Mechanics.
True, and I am sure that everyone agrees with your statement. As with all industrial accidents/incidents such as this, especially serious injuries and fatalities, various government agencies, such as state and federal OSHA and often local/state law enforcement are obligated to investigate. Likewise, the company involved is required to cooperate. They also must not tamper or alter in any way the conditions that were present at the time of the incident, and immediately afterward. Often, they are also compelled NOT to discuss the incident in any real detail until the investigation is fully completed. Once complete, they are REQUIRED to disclose the details of the incident with their workforce and/or the general public. Perhaps this is why UPS has not, yet, discussed these tragic incidents with their workforce.

UPSER1987

This thread is not actually about drivers but I still don’t follow your line of reasoning.

One thing for sure is if any UPS employee driver or maintenance mechanic refuses to follow any UPS safety training, (protocol) they should be fired.
Yeah sure. So some uneducated turd steward can file a grievance so the employee isn’t fired? You have employees brag about how many times they have been fired. And we wonder why there are so many 💩 employees.

UPSER1987

Not true.

Many employees have had the courage to report UPS to OSHA and other authorities and have forced UPS into corrective action. That is a fact that is definitely found in reality.
But no employees have the balls to report a safety concern regarding a “brother”, even when it’s right under their nose. Bunch of cowards.

Integrity

Binge Poster
True, and I am sure that everyone agrees with your statement. As with all industrial accidents/incidents such as this, especially serious injuries and fatalities, various government agencies, such as state and federal OSHA and often local/state law enforcement are obligated to investigate. Likewise, the company involved is required to cooperate. They also must not tamper or alter in any way the conditions that were present at the time of the incident, and immediately afterward. Often, they are also compelled NOT to discuss the incident in any real detail until the investigation is fully completed. Once complete, they are REQUIRED to disclose the details of the incident with their workforce and/or the general public. Perhaps this is why UPS has not, yet, discussed these tragic incidents with their workforce.
My experience is that UPS as a whole, and in particular the UPS Plant Engineering Dept. lacks integrity when dealing with incidents like this.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
They sound young or inexperienced, or both. Do you have any examples of 20 year service guys getting killed?

Not sure about the contractor but skill position hires typically have some years in their field before employment at UPS. In my automotive shop all except one of us had 10 plus years in the field the one exception is a trailer mechanic with about 5 years.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Not sure about the contractor but skill position hires typically have some years in their field before employment at UPS. In my automotive shop all except one of us had 10 plus years in the field the one exception is a trailer mechanic with about 5 years.
Not in Maintenance.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Yeah sure. So some uneducated turd steward can file a grievance so the employee isn’t fired? You have employees brag about how many times they have been fired. And we wonder why there are so many 💩 employees.

BS.. I have seen management including upper management gloss over obvious safety issues to keep production going. Recent examples include encouraging employees with covid type symptoms to come to work and spreading misinformation about needing a positive test to get paid.. ohh and where are the posters explaining not to come in to work sick without a test.