Out of control!! Inexperienced Maintenance Mechanics Getting Killed by equipment on the job. What is going on Plant Engineering???

Integrity

Binge Poster
BS.. I have seen management including upper management gloss over obvious safety issues to keep production going. Recent examples include encouraging employees with covid type symptoms to come to work and spreading misinformation about needing a positive test to get paid.. ohh and where are the posters explaining not to come in to work sick without a test.
Part of the UPS Plant Engineering Culture, then when something bad happens it’s simple. Blame the worker.

Very little integrity in that department.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Managements job is to train and ensure compliance with all UPS training and to identify and fire employees who refuse to follow all UPS Safety training.

Management's job is to produce the number that is set forth by the management directly above them by ANY means necessary. I cant think of any life form that lacks integrity like ups management. I could write a book about the crooked crap I've seen in 30 years. It's all about hiding numbers and shifting blame to someone else.

FEGuy

My experience is that UPS as a whole, and in particular the UPS Plant Engineering Dept. lacks integrity when dealing with incidents like this.
What experience with UPS Plant Engineering in particular do you have to hold this opinion? I have dealt with them extensively and closely for over 25 years and don't find your statement to be true.

Integrity

Binge Poster
What experience with UPS Plant Engineering in particular do you have to hold this opinion? I have dealt with them extensively and closely for over 25 years and don't find your statement to be true.
My experience is comparable to yours. Possibly exceeds yours.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
If employees don’t follow all safety training they should be fired. It is that simple.

In regards to the annual hazmat certification training.... why does the company give everyone the correct answers ?

If the company "truly" cared about safety, they would demonstrate it though their daily actions.

Integrity

Binge Poster
In regards to the annual hazmat certification training.... why does the company give everyone the correct answers ?

If the company "truly" cared about safety, they would demonstrate it though their daily actions.
I agree.

The Company lacks integrity, the Plant Engineering Dept. really lacks integrity.

IMO The Company knows this, counts on it, and therefore doesn’t truly care .

quad decade guy

So wrong.
So right. With all respect, this IS reality. I've tried to cite anecdotal examples of the UPS "style" of management to you but either your method of thinking or just being obtuse doesn't connect the dots....I guarantee what is happening in PE is happening in every other department. From house keeping to aviation. There are safety protocols being broken EVERYWHERE. And yes "turning their backs" until something happens. I have seen these practices from Coast to Coast - LA to Jersey. Being peak, how about contractors? They don't follow ANY yard rules. Stop signs, speeding to no vests. Yet, NOTHING is said or done. New temps at our building simply ignore yard rules and do what they want. Mgt. being scared "they'll just quit..." I don't know what happened with the fatalities in PE. I DO know that there was a chain of events leading to the tragedies. Guaranteed. Lack of supervision, experience of the employee and/or mgt. etc. Failure to follow procedure on and on. No? You simply, aren't paying attention. Just stand around some day. Observe what is happening around you(at a building). It won't take long to see dozens of unsafe work practices. Go out to the yard hell even the parking lot. Now, lot's of folks(especially here on BC) will dismiss these things as "none of your business" "you're not a supervisor" etc. But they are links in the chain of events that lead to tragedy. Witness the airport tug fatality as an example. No? It is and in plain sight.

Integrity

Binge Poster
So right. With all respect, this IS reality. I've tried to cite anecdotal examples of the UPS "style" of management to you but either your method of thinking or just being obtuse doesn't connect the dots....I guarantee what is happening in PE is happening in every other department. From house keeping to aviation. There are safety protocols being broken EVERYWHERE. And yes "turning their backs" until something happens. I have seen these practices from Coast to Coast - LA to Jersey. Being peak, how about contractors? They don't follow ANY yard rules. Stop signs, speeding to no vests. Yet, NOTHING is said or done. New temps at our building simply ignore yard rules and do what they want. Mgt. being scared "they'll just quit..." I don't know what happened with the fatalities in PE. I DO know that there was a chain of events leading to the tragedies. Guaranteed. Lack of supervision, experience of the employee and/or mgt. etc. Failure to follow procedure on and on. No? You simply, aren't paying attention. Just stand around some day. Observe what is happening around you(at a building). It won't take long to see dozens of unsafe work practices. Go out to the yard hell even the parking lot. Now, lot's of folks(especially here on BC) will dismiss these things as "none of your business" "you're not a supervisor" etc. But they are links in the chain of events that lead to tragedy. Witness the airport tug fatality as an example. No? It is and in plain sight.
I agree with your statement.

When I said “so wrong”, I was referencing the behaviors commented on. I was not disagreeing with @BigUnionGuy’s comments.

IMO You have described a Company that has a Safety Culture the clearly lacks integrity.

Arguably criminally negligent in many ways.

quad decade guy

I agree.

The Company lacks integrity, the Plant Engineering Dept. really lacks integrity.

IMO The Company knows this, counts on it, and therefore doesn’t truly care .
It is interesting to watch. My immediate mgt. team seems to be in some sort of neutered waiting game. Don't ask don't tell sort of. The ORS's seem frightened. Managers seem like they are about to be fired or demoted. Of course it's always been like this. Just worse now it seems. Anything that will incur an expense is ignored. Example: our carwash has been closed down for a year. Why? Their solution? Here's a bucket and brush.....for a 150 person feeder department. We have people driving well over 50 mph(a lot more probably) in the parking lot. Mgt's take? Shrug."We don't recognize the parking lot". What? I don't know what mgt. does all day but they sure don't pay attention to what is happening at work.