Out of package cars...REALLY?

Lobofan5

Any other center completly out of package cars? We have to wait to get trucks back from air drivers..air drivers going out with cars pulled from the belt...

no rentals in sight.

Wondering whats up.

We ran out yesterday (Houston Sweetwater). Today we had a couple of Ryders in the building. Don't know if they found enough to cover the deficit. Our package volume yesterday surpassed last year's highest day. I'm a preloader and in the last 3 weeks our start times have gone from 3AM to 11PM.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Any other center completly out of package cars? We have to wait to get trucks back from air drivers..air drivers going out with cars pulled from the belt...

no rentals in sight.

Wondering whats up.

Accountants making decisions in a centralized, top-down decision structure? :wink2:

outta hours

My hub had loads piled on the ground because there were no trucks to put them in. They did go get some rentals yesterday morning to put the piles into.

wornoutupser

My building has old P-5's on the line that have been off road for quite a while. Our mechanic was told to get them back on the road.
The only thing worse than a P-5 is one that has been sitting for a year. We had 3 breakdowns this week. I am glad to be out of one of those deathtraps.

We've been using rentals off and on since May. Our geniuses at district office decided that our fleet was getting too expensive to maintain so they started scrapping the old P5s, p6s and p8s. However they forgot one little thing, to get replacements for them...FIRST. Now, when new trucks come into the district they stay at the hub in the same city as the district office and we get their handmedowns, meaning their crap cars.

Our biggest problem isn't having cars to load into, it's having people to deliver out of them. Part of that problem is our current manager evidently thinks we can hire someone for seasonal driving, inside or helpers and work them just one day or two shifts out of a two week time and have them hang around. They claim that 3 of 5 hired for seasonal driving have quit and one of them fell out of his truck and dislocated his shoulder. Then there is the people out on workers comp, eight with various injuries some for as long as 3 months out and at least two out on disability.

chev

Nightcrawler
:happy-very: They said there was no way we would be getting rentals this year. Well, that was before they had 10,000 extra pieces hit them on Monday. They missed a crap load of pieces that day simply because they had no trucks or drivers to run then. Tuesday we had Ryders and they were calling all air drivers to help out. What a fiasco. :wink2:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We were short of Package Cars this week too. I got back to the building Wednesday night at 6 and another driver took my P7 to go back out and help another guy. We have no rentals either, but we did get a couple of unused P1000s from the Atlanta Hub. I had to pull a Package Car that was still being loaded out of the lineup to run EAMs all week. That really gets people ticked off, but why do we offer this service and not have enough vehicles to do it? We didn't get any rentals until a couple of days before Christmas last year, it was too little too late. We have been delivering packages for over a hundred years now, I have never understood the thought processes of whoever plans this stuff.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Last tues ,we had late airs. So every car available was used & some stayed out all day, when 4pm come the pm air drivers had no cars, the only thing around was a 24 ft truck.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
sorry about those late airs baba the donut truck came late to Logan and held up all the feeders!!!! forgive us!!:happy2::happy2:

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
We too ran out of cars this week. I ran the bulk truck and at 3:00 i was told that a driver needed help with buisnesses. I asked ods if a supe was going to shuttle me out a car and they said they were out of cars. I asked if they were crazy sending me in to residental areas in the bulk truck to hit commercial stops.

kingOFchester

My building has old P-5's on the line that have been off road for quite a while. Our mechanic was told to get them back on the road.
The only thing worse than a P-5 is one that has been sitting for a year. We had 3 breakdowns this week. I am glad to be out of one of those deathtraps.

I drove a p5 2 days this week. It had a birds nest with eggs right behind the monitor. On the shelf in the back was a tote with a gatorade bottle full of smoke butts. I don't smoke, and am not bothered by those who do, but it was obvious that who ever used the truck last was a chain smoker.

Found it weird that the window in the p5 was only an inch or two away from the steering wheel. With just a lap belt, I could only imagie what a accident would be like in that hunk of junk.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
From the above posts, it is apparent that UPS didn't do a very good job this year at planning for Christmas. Our building have issues too.

It depends on who is defining success and how success is defined.
Over the years I have seen some total disasters defined as successful. Kind of amusing after awhile.

iowa boy

From the above posts, it is apparent that UPS didn't do a very good job this year at planning for Christmas. Our building have issues too.
Remember, this is first peak that UPS has had to go thru. December only comes around every 11 months or so, and every 11 months this is something new to the company:happy-very::happy-very::happy-very:.

drewed

Shankman
Well in a way every peak is different, we were planing on peak being like the average day from last year, but we ended having DHL go under, im not saying thats the root cause of the issues just saying everypeak is different

upsgrunt

Well in a way every peak is different, we were planing on peak being like the average day from last year, but we ended having DHL go under, im not saying thats the root cause of the issues just saying everypeak is different

Once again Drewed, in your 3 year tenure at UPS you have such a vast knowledge of past experiences and now are even using "we" like you are part of the decision making team. Sometimes you are so full of yourself and what you think you know that you can't see the forest for the trees. It's ok to be intelligent, but do you really know everything, about UPS anyway?