"over allowed...."

Hedley_Lamarr

That term is really starting to piss me off. The other day I did three vans. One had about six hundred pieces, two stops. I could barley close the door when I got to it. The second had five stops five hundred pieces, the third had four hundred pieces two stops. I had to hump all this off myself, and I'm an old guy (43.) Then I did a PM air route. When I came in the next morning I was told that I was three hours "over allowed." I don't understand how they come up with that. I would LOVE to see the supervisor that told me that to do it any faster. The next day I had a van in the morning, two stops, 550 pieces. Then I had a split car with 130 stops, then a PM air route. I came in the next morning to be told "I really don't know what you're doing out there, you were three hours over allowed again." I didn't even take a lunch that day. And I had mis loads I had to deliver, and I had to cover another drivers pick ups because her kid was sick. Is it me, or does this happen to everybody at UPS??

tvick

Gravy Boat Captain
next time they bring it up, look at there printout, way over on the far left side next to your name is the number of hours you got paid for that day, explain to them that this number is the only one you give a rats ass about!! it is not your fault that the computer which figures allowed time was programmed by a college educated idiot

Fnix

Look at it this way. You probably wont get three vans again, and if you do, more money for you.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I came in the next morning to be told "I really don't know what you're doing out there, you were three hours over allowed again."
My response to that statement would be..."its understandable that you wouldn't know what I'm doing out there. I work in the real world. You sit at a desk." Sometimes, your management just needs to be reminded of this simple fact.

Hedley_Lamarr

My response to that statement would be..."its understandable that you wouldn't know what I'm doing out there. I work in the real world. You sit at a desk." Sometimes, your management just needs to be reminded of this simple fact.
I could accept that from somebody who was never a driver, but for a guy that was out there doing the job, and is now a sup....

Hedley_Lamarr

Look at it this way. You probably wont get three vans again, and if you do, more money for you.
I got no problem doing three vans, but to expect me to do it WITH taking lunch and finish by two O'clock with a nine O'clock start is just plain retarded....

Ghost in the Darkness

I could accept that from somebody who was never a driver, but for a guy that was out there doing the job, and is now a sup....

You're forgetting that many a sup were at one time drivers and either a). couldn't handle the workload, or b). didn't want to have to work that hard anymore. So they decided it would be an easier job to command other people do the work to company standards :happy2:.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
But he isnt out there any more. If he was a good driver, then let him come out and demonstrate to you just how its supposed to be done. My guess is that he cant....so its a lot easier to just hide behind a desk and fantasize about numbers.

SmithBarney

Once upon a time(ok only about a year ago +) my sup got in my face about numbers..
I calmly said, "maybe I need more training, please come drive my route and train/show me how to do it that fast."
Works like a charm everytime.

Griff

And why in the world would you work all day and not take a lunch like you are supposed to???? not much difference in 3 hours over or 4

The same reason why he uses his personal cell phone to make calls to the center. I would say it, but my post would get deleted for *gasp* name calling.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

most mgrs know that the numbers are jacked up beyond belief. I wish they would just get rid of the bonus system anyway...its a joke.There hasnt been much talk about overallowed in a long while. maybe its time to recalculate the different aspects of the allowance. you know, back in the day everybody had cash or checks ready, or knew a cod was comming....not anymore, and they dont care if they make you wait. Heavier traffic, more hectic neighborhood layouts, more aggressive customers and traffic...times are, and have been changing, but the allowance gets worst...ha.Ups has totally twisted around what the original purpose of bonus was.

mikestrek

That term is really starting to piss me off. The other day I did three vans. One had about six hundred pieces, two stops. I could barley close the door when I got to it. The second had five stops five hundred pieces, the third had four hundred pieces two stops. I had to hump all this off myself, and I'm an old guy (43.) Then I did a PM air route. When I came in the next morning I was told that I was three hours "over allowed." I don't understand how they come up with that. I would LOVE to see the supervisor that told me that to do it any faster. The next day I had a van in the morning, two stops, 550 pieces. Then I had a split car with 130 stops, then a PM air route. I came in the next morning to be told "I really don't know what you're doing out there, you were three hours over allowed again." I didn't even take a lunch that day. And I had mis loads I had to deliver, and I had to cover another drivers pick ups because her kid was sick. Is it me, or does this happen to everybody at UPS??
I'm almost 2 hours late each day. Once a year I get a three day ride then they ignore me. Same Ol'

Hedley, there's been some good views posted on this and then one or two that are demeaning to you. Don't let the latter get to you.
A few times (ok many times) in the past I have had sups give me the same crap you outlined. The reason you are being hounded is because your sup is accountable for your "over allowed" to the center manager. He's just wanting to look better on paper. Next time he even mentions you being over, tell him to brown up, get in the truck and observe. Then if he rides with you and he even as much as holds a door open for you or turns a box label up, anything that will help you out,tell him to stop. Be sure you take your required meal time. Don't ask him to demonstrate or train/show you how it's supposed to be done, most anyone can work like wildfire for 15 minutes but can't keep that pace up all day. Then at the end of "the ride" calmly ask him to tell you where you did anything wrong. The AM harassment will stop......... for a minute.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
'''I'm doing the best I can as safe as I can'' thats all you tell e'm when they reply with something stupid,and they will, tell e'm have the computer go out and do it or maybe you can do it and I''ll observe!!!!!
:angry::angry:

I've been 6 hours over allowed before. The hardest working driving days I've had. As long as you know you put in a fair days work, don't let it bother you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The same reason why he uses his personal cell phone to make calls to the center.

Hence the term "personal" as it is his concern as to how he chooses to use his "personal" cell phone. If you choose to either not carry one or to not use it for UPS business, so be it. Some of us choose to do so as it makes our day easier so that we can come home to the reason(s) that we all work so hard each and every day. This is not to say whether I am right or whether you are right--it is up to each of us how we choose to use the tools available to us to make our days go that much smoother.