Over Dispatches and 9 hour days.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Management loves to harass drivers to perform at unrealistic levels. Our center was told we would be terminated if we didn't maintain the Sphor from our "lock-in rides"

The local's principal officer was down the next day and handed out arbitration decisions concerning this matter.

At that time there had been 3 decisions and all were decided in the "EMPLOYEE'S" favor.

And being arbitration decisions...they became and are now part of the contract between Teamsters and UPS.

A driver cannot be fired for failing to maintain Sphor. The principle of "A fair days work for a fair days pay" is the law.

But that doesn't keep the company from threats, harassment, warning letters, suspensions and terminations.

Grievances should handle the treats and harassment.

Warning letters, suspensions and terminations will be overturned at panel.

But that doesn't keep the company from doing them. They love to throw drivers out on the street, firing them on a Friday, making them sit, unpaid and afraid, until the next panel hearing which could be up to 6 weeks away. Now at panel the terminations are overturned and the employee receives all back-pay and benefits but that doesn't help when the employee is sitting at home with no income.

Remember....management will do anything to harass and threaten a driver into running their guts out to meet a production level that cannot be maintained over the long-haul.

And management does this because they are constantly threatened with terminations and reassignments (via conference calls) on a daily basis.

Management will pull you into the office and go over your "Sparks" report, demanding that you account for any time gap.

So....

Keep good records, insert a letter in remarks before you "Stop Complete" if there's a delay. Let that letter stand for a certain situation...(A = heavy package, B = aggressive dog, C = customers demanded to inspect package....etc

And file harassment grievances as often as necessary.

Once they see that you won't be intimidated they'll move on to someone else.

we have not used "Sparks" reports in years...and the terminations and reassignments via conference calls...ya that is false also.

Anything else I can burst your bubble on?

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Telling someone to do it a certain way and telling someone to do it faster is two different things.

That's why they are called a coach, because they..... coach. Try it sometime.

That's what our new safety paperwork states: Coach...don't believe me ask the Manager to see it, its now part of our audit. I LMAO when I saw it the first time.

Management says the dispatch I received should have me back at the center and punched out with our lunch included at 18:35. I got back at 19:20. Management says it was feasible and I should have been able to do it. I say I had 200 t-shirt boxes to deliver to 10 different business. I can only fit 6 t-shirt boxes on my cart at a time and its heavy. Not only that I am dragging these stupid boxes in a winter storm. Long story short. my question is:

How do we defend ourselves from over-dispatching and rogue managers in regards to everyone being on the 9-5 list after new contract? I put in a hard days work and don't fart around yet I cant make these impossible time tables. I need to be able to defend myself against this.
Next time come back 20:20

Coldworld

60 months and counting
and how do you know you got a "new allowance"...
They did a time study on my route including the surrounding routes and loops... sup came to me and said it looks like you gained a bunch of time on your study, along with the driver who butts up to me on one side...that didn’t last long.... and all of that is water under the bridge now and I am glad I don’t have to deal with any boxes, package cars, Orion, driver follow ups, none of it...btw, I’m not the only one who has had that kind of experience with that sort of thing...

Grey

We haven’t had an OJS in years but they do follow us in the personal vehicles. If somebody sees one they will text the other guys in the loop.

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
you do realize that there are drivers out there who put their breaks and lunch down at the same time they are onroad driving back to the building.
I know a driver that openly admits doing this to management so he can get home to his kids sooner. They just keep loading him up every day cause he gets it done. I’m halfway through progression....learning to take full hour lunch and slow down. Life has gotten a bit easier since this realization.

Round the block again

My area is like that too every day, it’s like Christmas everyday and Orion says im over 2 hours! There’s no one dock stop at office buildings have to go to each office, and apartments which I have to go for a signature. It’s not me it’s the way things simply are !

UPSER1987

Management loves to harass drivers to perform at unrealistic levels. Our center was told we would be terminated if we didn't maintain the Sphor from our "lock-in rides"

The local's principal officer was down the next day and handed out arbitration decisions concerning this matter.

At that time there had been 3 decisions and all were decided in the "EMPLOYEE'S" favor.

And being arbitration decisions...they became and are now part of the contract between Teamsters and UPS.

A driver cannot be fired for failing to maintain Sphor. The principle of "A fair days work for a fair days pay" is the law.

But that doesn't keep the company from threats, harassment, warning letters, suspensions and terminations.

Grievances should handle the treats and harassment.

Warning letters, suspensions and terminations will be overturned at panel.

But that doesn't keep the company from doing them. They love to throw drivers out on the street, firing them on a Friday, making them sit, unpaid and afraid, until the next panel hearing which could be up to 6 weeks away. Now at panel the terminations are overturned and the employee receives all back-pay and benefits but that doesn't help when the employee is sitting at home with no income.

Remember....management will do anything to harass and threaten a driver into running their guts out to meet a production level that cannot be maintained over the long-haul.

And management does this because they are constantly threatened with terminations and reassignments (via conference calls) on a daily basis.

Management will pull you into the office and go over your "Sparks" report, demanding that you account for any time gap.

So....

Keep good records, insert a letter in remarks before you "Stop Complete" if there's a delay. Let that letter stand for a certain situation...(A = heavy package, B = aggressive dog, C = customers demanded to inspect package....etc

And file harassment grievances as often as necessary.

Once they see that you won't be intimidated they'll move on to someone else.

Is your center still living in the 1990s? Or did you retire then? So much mis information in this post. I know for a fact there is no such thing as a “sparks” report. Let us know the next time they pull that out! Love the little ABC index!

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Is your center still living in the 1990s? Or did you retire then? So much mis information in this post. I know for a fact there is no such thing as a “sparks” report. Let us know the next time they pull that out! Love the little ABC index!
No disinformation here #1987. I've always known the generated reports detailing a drivers day as a "Sparks" report.
Whatever they call them now, the purpose is still the same.

And you can check panel decisions for the past decade. It's all on the record.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
we have not used "Sparks" reports in years...and the terminations and reassignments via conference calls...ya that is false also.

Anything else I can burst your bubble on?
The generated reports detailing a drivers day were known as "Sparks" reports to me.

So whatever they call them now, the purpose is still the same.

And I know from center managers and on-road supervisors and preload supervisors that the threat of termination and reassignments are ever present. If you want to pretend they don't exist that's up to you.

I've been allowed to listen in on multiple conference calls, between various centers and division.

And it ain't pretty.

Also I noticed that while you pointed out the outdated "Sparks" reports, you never mentioned the harassment drivers are put through regarding "Stops Per On Road Hour" threats.

So why don't you check the panel decisions regarding this topic for the past decade. Its all on the record and those decisions are now part and parcel of our Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Or as we call it...the "CBA"

By the way.....enjoy your next conference call.

UPSER1987

No disinformation here #1987. I've always known the generated reports detailing a drivers day as a "Sparks" report.

And you can check panel decisions for the past decade. It's all on the record.

What record? Is that posted somewhere? All this stuff has changed since you been out the game. Go enjoy your retirement.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I know for a fact there is no such thing as a “sparks” report.

Well;

That is because it was SPARCS.... not sparks.

It goes all the way back to DIAD 1.

I've always known the generated reports detailing a drivers day as a "Sparks" report.

Telematics, provides the company with what is a "virtual time study".

Same thing.

So why don't you check the panel decisions regarding this topic for the past decade. Its all on the record and those decisions are now part and parcel of our Collective Bargaining Agreement.

I would have to respectfully disagree.... unless, you have specific examples.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
My area is like that too every day, it’s like Christmas everyday and Orion says im over 2 hours! There’s no one dock stop at office buildings have to go to each office, and apartments which I have to go for a signature. It’s not me it’s the way things simply are !
Get your sup out there to demonstrate how to do it.... they won’t take you up on the offer....