over under

U

ukworker

There's no allowance for a drivers age. Over/under relates to wether or not you went out with enough work. Time is allowed for travel to/from delivery pick up area, so apex driver will have good time allowance, not so healthy for baseline driver. Extra time is also allowed for residentials, COD deliveries, and other stuff like no. of packages at any given stop. But be careful as my centre is reasonably new only the runs being delivered when the centre was set-up were time studied. All the new runs since haven't so these guys bonus payments are always messed up.

D

dammor

Dear Danny,

If you think a 29 year old gets a break just imagine what sort of break is given to someone that is 47. Hell, most days I head down to the doughnut shop and spent 2 or 3 hours and still run at least 2 hours under. They don't expect me to do anything but just show up. :-)) Point is, it doesn't change. Just do your best.

D

dannyboy

HE is the 29 year old, I have 30 years in.

Thing is, when have you ever gotten a print out of EXACTLY the same route, same EVERYTHING. Just different driver. On the same day. I had them print me out the stats the following day for my records. That is when I noticed the .42 difference.

I realize that trying to compare the same route over a long period, you can come up with some good data, but it is never EXACTLY the same, might be one more mile etc. THis was the same days work just with two different SS#'s.

d

D

dammor

Danny,
You have been at UPS for 30 years? I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time believing that. I may be wrong, but if you have 30 in you should think of getting the hell out of there. I also wonder about your knowledge of the workings of the company. Like I said, I could be wrong.

D

dannyboy

Due to a glitch in the contract that we were under in the late 70's to mid 1980's the first five years of my service are not recognized, thanks to the Teamsters being in bed with the company. I was employed there during the strike of 1976. As to the workings of the company, what do you want to know?

d

D

dammor

I guess my first question would be what happened in the strike of 1976?

T

tieguy

Wow dannyboy interesting story. Your saying you worked here for 5 years and received no credit for it?

D

dannyboy

Not much went on. Since the Center was in Virginia, we went out on strike. The Tennessee portion of the deliveries were still made, but by managment. Of course that was BEFORE we went nation wide. IF I remember correctly, it lasted almost three months or so. Strike benifits were $6 and of that they took $9 in dues every month. It paid to stay home, going to the center to walk the picket line was a losing endevour.

Dont really remember what it was suppose to be about, of course no strike is ever over what it is advertized to be. I think the union stated it was wages and benifits, but that couldnt be.......
biggrin.gif

Yes Tie, an interesting little glitch that the Union states the company pulled over on them. Like any years worked before the age of 25 dont count towards retirement. We are in the process of looking at a class action, but it is too early to tell how it will go.

d

D

dammor

Sounds like you are what you say you are Danny. Sorry if I gave you a hard time. I have also heard the under 25 age hurting one's retirement. I am not real clear on the details though. What I know of it makes very little sense to me. If a person is working then it should count. Seems simple, but very rarely is. Good Luck.

D

dannyboy

No problem. I have the bad back, knees, ankles, dog bites and a few scars to remind me that I am getting old.
biggrin.gif
But there is still fight left, so until it is settled, its I owe, I owe, and off to work I go. hehehe At least for 5 more years.

Oh, I could opt out at 25, the retirement is 27,500. But at 30 it is 40,000. Not to mention the insurance! So what would you do?

d

U

upsdude

"Wow dannyboy interesting story. Your saying you worked here for 5 years and received no credit for it?"

A couple of drivers in my center face a similar situation. I dont know if this is a regional deal or company wide.

S

slyguy

Hello UPS employees!! Do you deliver dangerous goods? If so, did UPS make any safety changes to the vehicles, mostly P5',since there tendency to bounce can't be good for these DG(packages).

S

slyguy

Hello there! Keep track of your numbers and you'll find a difference every week. This formula used to create SPORH is not brilliant only simple and can, has and will be manipulated to who they like or don't like.

Also please keep track of your hours worked since I think they could cheat the majority of those who don't complain or check their pay stubs.
Imagine, 5 min a day for every driver = a nice bonus or savings for UPS and that center(lookout people it's your money)

D

dannyboy

Sly, it can be manipulated by the dishonest driver too, dont forget that aspect!

d

D

dammor

Same as you Danny. I deliver. I would head out at 25 in, but need and can't afford the insurance. It's been a good job, but I am getting tired.:-))

D

dannyboy

I really have enjoyed the Job also. Enjoyed it more during the "ownership" phase that the company went through. I really believe, and the volume numbers bear me out, that when you empower employees to take the gloves off and go get business, we are second to none. When the front line can take care of the customers needs, IE Walmarts one stop shopping(and they are NOT the lowest price)then the customer selects UPS and stays with UPS.

Currently it takes an act of congress and two to three weeks to get a customer rep out to sell a new account. In that amount of time, FDX has moved in and gotten the business.

Driver on the route next to me noticed that FDX was picking up 250-500 NDA per day at a shipper. Talked to them about using us. Was told send someone by. He filled out the lead card and followed up with management. He would check on the progress of the sales lead every morning on the center computer. On the 10th day, the note "not sold" appeared on the update. WHen he went by there he asked about the sales reps visit, and was told NO ONE from UPS has been here.

So the Rep lied about going by there, and it was almost 2 weeks before he finally did. We started getting the volume, and lost it because of the lack of followup on the cust account exec. He would not return calls, and would not even visit them after the first day. Because of this they went back to FDX. Donald tried to help out, but without the allowance that they used to give for that work, we just cant take the time to do it any more. I think with the empowerment still in place we would still have that volume.

d

S

slyguy

How can deliveries to the 2nd or higher not be considered for more time. It takes about 30-60 seconds (return trip) per floor on average to deliver a package. Why does the time it takes to the first delivery and the time from the last delivery to the center included in the SPORH.

Comments welcome.

U

ups_vette

Mr SLYGUY...You are right...It does talke longer to deliver to the 2nd floor and higher..That's why the alowance is higher for those stops. It also depends if you have to take the stairs or use an ellevator. SPORH..Stops per On Road Hour...You are ON ROAD from when you leave the building till you return to the building, thus Stops Per "On Road" Hour. This concept is not dfficult to understand. YOU ARE CORRECT,,,Just Imagine every driver (ft/pt) takng an EXTRA 5 minutes on their lunch or break. That act would be a lot of money paid in VIOLATION of the contract you are so passionate in enforcing.

W

wvbrown

SPORH is from leave building time to return to building time minus lunch (1 hour not 1hour 10 minutes)When the rt. was t/s all the walks,floors,elevators,4wheeler,2wheeler,bulkhead door,rear door,select,stop signs,redlights,railroad crossings,traffic delays,alternate delivery,and (to-from time)(dr and sig.time), are set they don't change.The number of COD,sig.,miles,over 70 or anything you place under special are the only thing that changes the O/U. Might have missed some but you get the drift,it was all up to the driver that was time studied,did he follow the methods! Correct Methods Very Important

R

rushfan

I've had pretty good luck with sales leads, except one time. I turned in a lead card to get someone to talk to one of our shippers. They had shipped with us for 20 years. I followed up with the office daily. I was told by our office assistant that they were visited. I went to the shipper and asked him if anyone had visited with him..He said no and in the meantime fdx had taken our business. Being lied to, I was a bit upset.

The excuse from the acct. executive was they couldn't find the place. If I returned a package saying I couldn't find the address, It would be the end of the world. All the acct. executive told me was, and I quote, Maybe they will come back when they find out how many fdx people they have to deal with..(example, ground, express, etc.)

That was a year ago, and the shipper still hasn't returned.