Overmanagement

Braveheart

Hello everyone,This is a great site,and I've been reading the threads about 2 years and finally decided to join,I have been a supervisor at ups for a few years now,and I think ups wastes a lot of money with all the paperwork involved in overmanaging employees to the point where it makes them resentful towards the company.
I have been reproached a few times for refusing to discipline employees for insignificant mistakes.I have about had it with the being screamed at for things that I can't change due to cutbacks.I have about had enough,

Do not listen to Tieguy.

We need more managers like you. Point out little mistakes sure, but to write up a driver and threaten their job over rare and tiny mistakes is overkill. Work with your employees to correct the small stuff and focus the majority of your time preventing the big stuff.

Try not to micro-manage them. Good luck.

brownedout

As I understand it, the massive paper trail they are creating is just now moving up the east coast, so I'm curious about where you are.
Many of the "mistakes" we are being accused of are bogus. Example: we are told to pull off any know closed businesses, so on Fridays there are many dentists', etc packages left in the building. A couple weeks ago we all got written up for no delivery scans on multiple packages. We were told to pull them off, NOT to deliver them. Error my arse. Not on my part.

This especially is very troubling to me. Most of us have stopped doing this in my building, with management's blessings. Trouble was you would note the 1, or few known closed at a particlular address, but the whole friggin' address would be pulled. It was thought to be caused by incomplete consignee lists, but that has not been the case for the most part. So to avoid the service failures that result from this, we will live with the send agains. Anyone else have this problem?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This especially is very troubling to me. Most of us have stopped doing this in my building, with management's blessings. Trouble was you would note the 1, or few known closed at a particlular address, but the whole friggin' address would be pulled. It was thought to be caused by incomplete consignee lists, but that has not been the case for the most part. So to avoid the service failures that result from this, we will live with the send agains. Anyone else have this problem?

I deliver to a medical office building which has individual suites within the same address. One of the doctors told me and our OMS that he was closing for a few days and asked me to put his packages on hold. The OMS took it upon herself to put the address on hold rather than let me simply Future his packages so we had to dig through the Hold pile to get the rest of the packages OFD. The dispatch sup took the stop off of hold and let me do my job. He told me that the system does not allow for pkgs to be put on Hold based on suite # and that he has to go through EDD after the sort is done and designate that suite #.

We are told to use CLO H for any known closures that are not pulled from the car.

over9five

Staff member
That was one thing I noticed after returning from an absence in Package. We used to have that same problem with multiple consignee addresses. One consignee would be closed, and they'd hold the whole building!

It is sooo much better now. We can tell them what company is closed, and the system will only hold that company. As Upstate said, it is not done by suite but by company name. The only time it misses is when there is no company name on the package. I would say it is darn near 100% effective now.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I meant what I said and that was absolutely nothing about "managements fault". It is coming from the executive level and, as I said, management is being harassed as well.

I work by the procedures I was taught, which included not dr-ing a signature required package in a high traffic, low income area. So having a send again Is not an error.

Creep.

hubrat sorry did not mean to offend you, you are right, a send again is not an error.

Prickle

Is it overmanagement or a drastic change in management styles? The mgt. style I first encountered at UPS was one of a team mentality. As a mgt team they would do what was best for the company and their team, from top to bottom. If a team player had a problem reaching a number, other mgt. people would work with that player until the problem was fixed. They were also given the chance to lead their people with an individualized style of mgt. They were able to tweek and fine tune their style for each individual employee. They knew that one driver is motivated differently than another driver. The team worked hard together, they would go out for drinks together, they would play golf together, and they would become rich together. All in all they would be recogonized for a job well done, with a at-a-boy, a toast at the club, a cool UPS trinket. (not a perforated cardboard letter)!

My how things have changed!! If a mgt. person doesn't achieve their goal or number, it is no longer, how can we help you get to that goal. Now it is; if the goal is not met we are going to fire you, you must not care about your job, your leadership skills are not good, why have you failed to follow instructions, we don't need you if you can't make your number. The mgt. style of today is fear and intimidation. This style has led to a mgt. style based around the individual and not the team. The style is not, I am going to recognize what has been accomplished, but rather I am going to focus on every thing negative, and pound you and punish you until it gets fixed. Study after study shows praise and not punishment motivates people.

Now back to the original problem of a driver(service provider) feeling overmanaged. The style from the top is going to roll all the way down to the bottom. Upper mgt has decided to use intimidation and fear as their style to control lower management. They also expect lower mgt. to control their people in the same manner. That includes warning letters for picking your nose with your left finger and not your right finger. (you know what I mean).
Instead of mgt saying lets work with the drivers, they are told to produce warning letters, and dicipline. Forget that the drivers have many many many factors affecting their day.

I conclude this rant by saying. IE get off of the computer, get on a car, work with the clerks, help a customer,

Is it overmanagement or a drastic change in management styles? The mgt. style I first encountered at UPS was one of a team mentality. As a mgt team they would do what was best for the company and their team, from top to bottom. If a team player had a problem reaching a number, other mgt. people would work with that player until the problem was fixed. They were also given the chance to lead their people with an individualized style of mgt. They were able to tweek and fine tune their style for each individual employee. They knew that one driver is motivated differently than another driver. The team worked hard together, they would go out for drinks together, they would play golf together, and they would become rich together. All in all they would be recogonized for a job well done, with a at-a-boy, a toast at the club, a cool UPS trinket. (not a perforated cardboard letter)!

My how things have changed!! If a mgt. person doesn't achieve their goal or number, it is no longer, how can we help you get to that goal. Now it is; if the goal is not met we are going to fire you, you must not care about your job, your leadership skills are not good, why have you failed to follow instructions, we don't need you if you can't make your number. The mgt. style of today is fear and intimidation. This style has led to a mgt. style based around the individual and not the team. The style is not, I am going to recognize what has been accomplished, but rather I am going to focus on every thing negative, and pound you and punish you until it gets fixed. Study after study shows praise and not punishment motivates people.

Now back to the original problem of a driver(service provider) feeling overmanaged. The style from the top is going to roll all the way down to the bottom. Upper mgt has decided to use intimidation and fear as their style to control lower management. They also expect lower mgt. to control their people in the same manner. That includes warning letters for picking your nose with your left finger and not your right finger. (you know what I mean).
Instead of mgt saying lets work with the drivers, they are told to produce warning letters, and dicipline. Forget that the drivers have many many many factors affecting their day.

I conclude this rant by saying. IE get off of the computer, get on a car, work with the clerks, help a customer,

Welcome to the Brown cafe El lobo nice first post.

Dragon

Package Center Manager

Great first post, Welcome to BC.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Can someome explain this more to us.........

I wish someone would explain it to me better. All I know is that my mugshot is in the wall and I am/am not a member of "clubs" I never asked to join. Example: until Monday I was a member of the "Injury Club" but since I got injured my pic will be removed and my name put on the "Drivers Whose Help I Need List". Still have figured out who the I is. In addition we had to sign some sort of commitment, the contents of which I don't remember and was not allowed to copy. We get written up for everything whether it is actually an error or not. Every day I sign a piece of paper with the previous day's performance on it, in addition page(s) containing whatever "errors" they perceive to be mine, ie every service failure, including send agains, is now the drivers' fault.
We now receive warning letters for late air, and loaders get warning letters for misloads.
Sups signed an SSPVE commitment. In this order it's Safety, Service, Profitability, Volume, Employee. They are graded on 13 components representing these, so that if they have 100% on 6/13, they are 46% effective. This, as well as their mugshot and those of their driver group are displayed in the sups' office. Everything that they are graded on is based on drivers' performance rather than on their own. They and the managers and some higher
ups are constantly being threatened with termination.
There is a lot more to it I'm sure. Whatever, most of it looks like harassment from my vantage point.
Oh, and according to the latest rumor they are going to lock each driver into a set SPORH, and we all have to be running scratch by next September.
It's supposed to be moving up the East Coast now and then sweep throughout the country, so you'll see it soon enough.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Don't get hurt trying to chase a "number"that was never intended to be halfway fair in the first place....I'm serious. Someone who is stressed out and not thinking properly is going to push the limits...this job is a marathon,not an all out sprint. It would not be good if you hurt your back so bad that you can't work anymore at any job.

over9five

Staff member
I wish someone would explain it to me better. All I know is that my mugshot is in the wall and I am/am not a member of "clubs" I never asked to join. Example: until Monday I was a member of the "Injury Club" but since I got injured my pic will be removed and my name put on the "Drivers Whose Help I Need List". Still have figured out who the I is. In addition we had to sign some sort of commitment, the contents of which I don't remember and was not allowed to copy. We get written up for everything whether it is actually an error or not. Every day I sign a piece of paper with the previous day's performance on it, in addition page(s) containing whatever "errors" they perceive to be mine, ie every service failure, including send agains, is now the drivers' fault.
We now receive warning letters for late air, and loaders get warning letters for misloads.
Sups signed an SSPVE commitment. In this order it's Safety, Service, Profitability, Volume, Employee. They are graded on 13 components representing these, so that if they have 100% on 6/13, they are 46% effective. This, as well as their mugshot and those of their driver group are displayed in the sups' office. Everything that they are graded on is based on drivers' performance rather than on their own. They and the managers and some higher
ups are constantly being threatened with termination.
There is a lot more to it I'm sure. Whatever, most of it looks like harassment from my vantage point.
Oh, and according to the latest rumor they are going to lock each driver into a set SPORH, and we all have to be running scratch by next September.
It's supposed to be moving up the East Coast now and then sweep throughout the country, so you'll see it soon enough.

Grieve that your picture is posted like some kind of felon at the post office, and REFUSE TO SIGN THAT BS.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Grieve that your picture is posted like some kind of felon at the post office, and REFUSE TO SIGN THAT BS.

How did they get your picture...ha makes you feel pretty good to be part of such a great organization that treats people like that...over9five is right that's not right in any way..

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
How did they get your picture...ha makes you feel pretty good to be part of such a great organization that treats people like that...over9five is right that's not right in any way..

They took all of our pictures. I protested and was told by management and other drivers and a shop steward that I had to submit. When they put our photos on display I protested again, saying that I never gave them permission to publish my picture. Again, management and other drivers and a steward told me that I did when I got hired. I must have amnesia because I certainly don't remember that.

Returntosender

I would take a picture of that wall and release it to the media. The late night talk shows will have field day with that. UPS abu gharib pictures. You mess up we management at ups will show everybody. We harass and humilate everyone not in the management ranks

over9five

Staff member
They took all of our pictures. I protested and was told by management and other drivers and a shop steward that I had to submit. When they put our photos on display I protested again, saying that I never gave them permission to publish my picture. Again, management and other drivers and a steward told me that I did when I got hired. I must have amnesia because I certainly don't remember that.

Stop protesting and file. You don't need permission from your shop steward to file a grievance. He is WRONG about this. This is a clear example of harassment. Have a bunch of people sign it, and give it directly to your BA.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I would take a picture of that wall and release it to the media. The late night talk shows will have field day with that. UPS abu gharib pictures. You mess up we management at ups will show everybody. We harass and humilate everyone not in the management ranks

Hate to break it to ya but mgt gets harassed also...see it everyday...but I understand what your saying