Overmanagement

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
In my opinion Intimidation and harrassment was actually much more prevelant during the casey days when a delivery sup would step on the back of your heels if you walked too slow. Back then we were not so sensitive.

Today that would be considered assault.

pretzel_man

Lots of impressive sounding gobbledygook there, but its pretty much a fancy way of saying "UPS--we add 10 miles and 20 minutes to a route in order to manufacture whatever pickup compliance or stops-per-car metric is being demanded by a genius in a cubicle someplace."

There is probably a lot of intelligence at UPS's corporate offices. Too bad there isnt any wisdom.

Its your right to play Monday Morning Quarterback. You have the right to call hard working UPSers idiots and unwise.

Of course, you are not responsible for the game plan. You are not accountable to the shareowners.

You don't need to make the tough calls in an imperfect world.

I do recognize that you are a professional. That you do your job very, very well. I cannot do what you do.

Then again, I spent more time doing your job than you have doing mine. I've created many metrics. You can dismiss them as "gobbledygook". Its your right.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Its your right to play Monday Morning Quarterback. You have the right to call hard working UPSers idiots and unwise.

Of course, you are not responsible for the game plan. You are not accountable to the shareowners.

I do recognize that you are a professional. That you do your job very, very well. I cannot do what you do.

Then again, I spent more time doing your job than you have doing mine. I've created many metrics. You can dismiss them as "gobbledygook". Its your right.

I'm sure Sober will have an interesting rebuttle....in several hours after his excessive 13 hr shift.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

As I have stated before, there is nothing wrong with setting goals and the easiest way to express those goals is often by quantifying them into metrics.

The problem....which has pretty much reached epidemic proportions among UPS management...is when we make counterproductive and downright destructive business decisions for no reason other than to generate those metrics.

You now have an entire generation of otherwise bright management people who are totally incapable of applying any tologic or common sense into a given situation. To them, the only way to survive is to genearate the metric that is being demanded them.

As I have stated before, there is nothing wrong with setting goals and the easiest way to express those goals is often by quantifying them into metrics.

The problem....which has pretty much reached epidemic proportions among UPS management...is when we make counterproductive and downright destructive business decisions for no reason other than to generate those metrics.

You now have an entire generation of otherwise bright management people who are totally incapable of applying any tologic or common sense into a given situation. To them, the only way to survive is to genearate the metric that is being demanded them.
BAM there you have it +1

JustTired

free at last.......
Now comes the "it's not a perfect system" speech.

I'll let P-man give that speech.

But, in my view, it isn't a perfect system. Never was and never will be. I would contend that the more the company strives to make it a "perfect system", the further it is from being one.

It's really a simple job. Pickup pkgs, route pkgs, and deliver pkgs. The more layers of processes added to the mix....the less simple it becomes.

The concept (I suppose ) of these processes is to get more done with less. That's not a bad business plan and it is being employed by many companies. But, there is a tipping point. And I think (quite possibly) it has been reached. The harder the company tries to achieve the "more for less" goal......the less achievable that goal becomes. JMO

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Anyone who thinks they can attain perfection in this world is delusional. PIMMs: Paranoid Incompetent Micromanagers.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Anyone who thinks they can attain perfection in this world is delusional. PIMMs: Paranoid Incompetent Micromanagers.

I disagree. In anything, you can come pretty close to perfection with perfect practice. I think what you meant maintain those expectations from everyone.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I'll let P-man give that speech.

But, in my view, it isn't a perfect system. Never was and never will be. I would contend that the more the company strives to make it a "perfect system", the further it is from being one.

It's really a simple job. Pickup pkgs, route pkgs, and deliver pkgs. The more layers of processes added to the mix....the less simple it becomes.

The concept (I suppose ) of these processes is to get more done with less. That's not a bad business plan and it is being employed by many companies. But, there is a tipping point. And I think (quite possibly) it has been reached. The harder the company tries to achieve the "more for less" goal......the less achievable that goal becomes. JMO

You are spot on my friend...

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
I disagree. In anything, you can come pretty close to perfection with perfect practice. I think what you meant maintain those expectations from everyone.

No. I meant what I said. If you attain something, it is accomplished. If you come close, well, don't be a sore loser. Expecting perfection from anyone or anything in an imperfect world is a waste of energy.

Blakely656

Originally Posted by JustTired

The concept (I suppose ) of these processes is to get more done with less. That's not a bad business plan and it is being employed by many companies. But, there is a tipping point. And I think (quite possibly) it has been reached. The harder the company tries to achieve the "more for less" goal......the less achievable that goal becomes.

Perfect!