Overtime pay and salaried employees

FedExer267

600 too 1000 is not exactly a specific number. Now bbsam 1000 dollars a week is unheard of in my building, most Contractors pay 500 to 550 a week with no bonus and I live in one of the most expensive states. I would personally like to know what kind of areas you have to be able to pay drivers a 1000 a week in the midwest. 1000 a week in the midwest we could live decently but that cracks me up you can afford to pay that when our IC's in CA say they dont make enough to give us a raise. So based on your input the Contractors are definitley lying to us on how much they make. So now you understand why they get what they pay us for and not a penny more.
Are you down to let the class know what exactly Contractors get paid per piece, per stop, and per piece picked up. Our is it paid diffrently to each Contractor with the Contractors in the Mid West making more than the ones on the Coasts.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
600 too 1000 is not exactly a specific number. Now bbsam 1000 dollars a week is unheard of in my building, most Contractors pay 500 to 550 a week with no bonus and I live in one of the most expensive states. I would personally like to know what kind of areas you have to be able to pay drivers a 1000 a week in the midwest. 1000 a week in the midwest we could live decently but that cracks me up you can afford to pay that when our IC's in CA say they dont make enough to give us a raise. So based on your input the Contractors are definitley lying to us on how much they make. So now you understand why they get what they pay us for and not a penny more.
Are you down to let the class know what exactly Contractors get paid per piece, per stop, and per piece picked up. Our is it paid diffrently to each Contractor with the Contractors in the Mid West making more than the ones on the Coasts.

Where I live, most of the contractors pay between $600-$750 per week in salary to Ground drivers. The walk-in drivers are the low end, and the straight truck drivers are the high end. All of these people work right around 60 hours per week, and their contractors tell them the same thing, that they "cannot afford raises". bbsam says he pays more, yet still makes a very decent living. That would make me tend to believe that most contractors lie about their cut of the profits, which makes perfect sense, because every penny they pay over and above current wages comes out of their pocket. Simple human nature= greed.

All of this plays right into the basic scheme of the Ground plan, which is for FedEx to pass off as many costs as possible to the ISP, who has a natural incentive to maximize his own profits. FedEx doesn't care if you are paid peanuts, as long as the packages get delivered. However, they do care when you show-up to work, if you are in uniform, and that you observe FedEx rules and regulations to the letter.

This is why you see dirty Ground trucks full of dents, that are poorly maintained and driven until they fall apart. bbsam, smart guy that he is, pays above the normal Ground average and also maintains his fleet, because it makes sense to do so in the long run. Other contractors don't work that way because they think short term about their business.

The only reason FedEx bought RPS in the first place was for this set-up. I remember when RPS still ran it with single vehicle contractors, and those people were lucky if they netted $30,000 per year for 60 hours per week. FedEx bumped those numbers up a bit, but the essence of the scam remains. Pay below market level wages and expect above average performance from non-employees who are held to employee standards. Scam.

FedExer267

Simple human nature is indeed greed well said. The thing is the business these guys own are driven by the employees, its pretty much that way in any company. The sad thing is the guys that stand out infront of Home Depot will not touch a job for less than 15 a hour, kinda funny when most Ground drivers that bust their butts all day make less.

The funny thing is most of these Contractor's wouldn't know Customer Service if it bit them in the nads. Its the drivers that keep them well fed while they scrap to get by. Here is a example of My Contractor-

I took a day off awhile back and he covered my route well he shows up to one of my pickups a hour early and says what do you have the reciever says your here to early. My boss informs them that he still has a ton to do and he will take what they have ready and their regular driver will get the rest tomorrow. The guy finishes up the box my boss scans it jumps in the truck and drives away.. (without the box)

My boss gets a phone call a little later and has to call this shipper to calm him down. So he talks to the guy on the phone and tells him on the phone I know what driver your talking about, I will talk to him, I get complaints on this guy all the time, but you should have your regular guy back tomorrow and all will be good. Kinda of ironic he was talking about himself you should of seen the customers face when I told them the guy that covered me was the boss. They were in shock.

I guess we are not worth a raise my bad especially when the boss himself cannot do our job.

bbsam

Staff member

California has always been a strange land.... Any idea when you'll become a state like the rest of us?:wink2::peaceful: