overworked husband

beentheredonethat

Tooner I agree with a lot of what you said.. But it's real hard financially to walk away from a pension that isn't far away. So long as he is willing to be a door mat, he will get all walked over. He needs to stand up for himself and not let it happen. Do his job well and make it to retirement. All the while, he needs to Cover his ass.

rod

Retired 22 years
Maybe he needs to start screwing things up on a grand scale. That was always a sure fire way to get promoted back when I was working. (And no I'm not kidding)

He's really not a doormat, he is however a father of four children, and, he is the kind of man who feels like he has to do what he has to do, to protect his family. Insurance is of course a great concern, and we would never make a move without knowing that part is ok. I really think he is at the end of his rope, he either has to begin to make changes with his current situation, or look elsewhere for change.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Tooner I agree with a lot of what you said.. But it's real hard financially to walk away from a pension that isn't far away. So long as he is willing to be a door mat, he will get all walked over. He needs to stand up for himself and not let it happen. Do his job well and make it to retirement. All the while, he needs to Cover his ass.
I agree, but I was in management, albeit pt, and we had absolutely no protection. At least with the union as hourly I have some. As for the time he has in he will still get that part of his pension. And he may find something to do for another 10 or so, and get something from that. Like regain his life and dignity. I know I will leave as soon as some of my leads come through, if they dont I will stick it out, but I will fly like an eagle if a door opens. With at least 25 in, if you get a 10 buck an hour job and are able to draw at 55, you are even.
Yes it is hard financially, but I know I lived on a lot less and was 10xs happier. Many of us, me included, enjoyed the big bucks, and for it we might get to retire, but maybe when we do we will die early, who knows? What they have managemnt pay for their healthcare is a crying shame. My pt guys and gals,(supvs) and oms would be better off at mickey d's, than to have the responsibility, of the job they have for the comp they get.

beentheredonethat

I agree, but I was in management, albeit pt, and we had absolutely no protection. At least with the union as hourly I have some. As for the time he has in he will still get that part of his pension. And he may find something to do for another 10 or so, and get something from that. Like regain his life and dignity. I know I will leave as soon as some of my leads come through, if they dont I will stick it out, but I will fly like an eagle if a door opens. With at least 25 in, if you get a 10 buck an hour job and are able to draw at 55, you are even.
Yes it is hard financially, but I know I lived on a lot less and was 10xs happier. Many of us, me included, enjoyed the big bucks, and for it we might get to retire, but maybe when we do we will die early, who knows? What they have managemnt pay for their healthcare is a crying shame. My pt guys and gals,(supvs) and oms would be better off at mickey d's, than to have the responsibility, of the job they have for the comp they get.
I'm not an expert on the mgmt pension yet. (I still have about 9 years to go to get to 55). But if you leave early, you take a big hit on your pension, and you can't start withdrawing until 65. (NOT 55). From what I recall the penalty was 3% for every year. So for example.. If you left at 54. You have to wait for another 11 years before you can start to withdraw and the amount you would get is 33% less then what you would have at 55. Plus factor in the inflation impact of the money too.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm not an expert on the mgmt pension yet. (I still have about 9 years to go to get to 55). But if you leave early, you take a big hit on your pension, and you can't start withdrawing until 65. (NOT 55). From what I recall the penalty was 3% for every year. So for example.. If you left at 54. You have to wait for another 11 years before you can start to withdraw and the amount you would get is 33% less then what you would have at 55. Plus factor in the inflation impact of the money too.

You can link to a Retirement Calculator off UPSers.com to exact implications.
The 3% is only if you start drawing before full retirement age which is 65 unless you have 35 years credit then it is 60.
The penalty to your retirement monthly payments is much higher than 33% - best case is 40% less and the penalty increases from there.
The vast majority of pension benefits accrue after the age 49.

So, good advice on the impact except it's even worse.
Make sure you run the scenarios on the retirement calculator to understand.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The OP said her hubby was a few years short of retirement and he had been there 25+ yrs, so thats why I suggested what I did.

I have advised my husband to visit this forum, seems like what is happening to him is in fact happening all over. Such a shame. He has put his life into UPS, and he is just being crapped on. I know that he has a lot of info that could be damaging to others, just holding on to it in case he needs it....Thank you all for the advice and support.

PackageManager

You have to live with the choices that you make! There is not one reason that would make feel sorry for any supervisor.

That is completely sad. I think most us (management and hourly alike) have compassion for each other. Think of your best bosses and/or subordinates -- they all cared.