overworked husband

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
tell him to start sending out resumes to other jobs, help him out finding them, its not gonna get any better in operations

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
You have to live with the choices that you make! There is not one reason that would make feel sorry for any supervisor.

Does this apply to only UPS supervisors or or do you feel no sorrow for any supervisor in any company or industry? Does the lack of sorrow extend to a supervisor's family members? This is very interesting and disturbing.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Isn't 54 1/2 the severance age for management? I believe that is what SoberUPS said. ;)

My understanding...and Hoax please correct me if I am wrong...is that if a management person waits to retire until age 55, the company picks up the cost of their medical benefits until they are eligible for Medicare at age 65. 10 years=120 months, assuming a $1k COBRA payment per month just to make the math easy, that equals a $120,000 incentive for staying until age 55 vs retiring earlier. It also puts a bullseye on the backs of those management people who are approaching age 55, there is big money to be saved for the company by whacking them just before they reach eligibility. That is how it was explained to me (by a management person) so if I am wrong let me know.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
My understanding...and Hoax please correct me if I am wrong...is that if a management person waits to retire until age 55, the company picks up the cost of their medical benefits until they are eligible for Medicare at age 65. 10 years=120 months, assuming a $1k COBRA payment per month just to make the math easy, that equals a $120,000 incentive for staying until age 55 vs retiring earlier. It also puts a bullseye on the backs of those management people who are approaching age 55, there is big money to be saved for the company by whacking them just before they reach eligibility. That is how it was explained to me (by a management person) so if I am wrong let me know.

Generally correct. In addition, retirement benefits are delayed until 65 if a management person leaves before the age of 55. I estimate the cost/savings to be closer to $500,000 for the 10 years of (55-65) retirement and health benefits.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Do either of you really think the company is that vindictive?

"Vindictive" is an emotional state. Emotions have nothing to do with the profitable operation of a business. The simple, brutal, mathematical reality that all long-term UPS management people face is that they work for a company that stands to save up to half a million dollars by succesfully terminating their employment prior to reaching the age of 55.

I would not at all be surprised to find out that there is some sort of a "bounty" system whereby the individual who was able to find a way to terminate that 50+ yr old management person received a share of the $500K that they saved for the company, although this is purely speculation on my part.

I am personally aware of 3 successful terminations of long-term management people in my division in the last decade on what were, in my opinion at least, grossly trumped-up charges. All three of these individuals were at least 53 years of age. We are also seeing multiple examples in my division and district of long-term management people going out on "stress leave" which is pretty much the only card they have left to play if they are just trying to survive until 55.

I reach PEER 80 eligibility in 4 years, 9 months and 26 days (assuming I do not hold any vacation weeks over and choose to work until my seniority date in order to gain 7 additional vacation weeks prior to retirement) and the only question for me is whether my body will hold out for that remaining time. I'm glad that I dont have to worry about one of my "partners" sticking a shank in my back so that they can kick me out the door a year or two early and generate half a million in additional profits for the company.

overit

There is life outside UPS. I, along with all the other friend/T sups and Mgrs. were going thru the same thing. It's not worth it. You must make it your ambition to update his resume, and apply for him. He does not have time. That's what my wife did, (she also works full time). I left after 26 years, 19 in friend/T mgmt. You both must sincerely put faith in God, send out the applications, and let go of the fear of change. Ah, the feeling of walking in with your uniforms, AMEX, and keys in a box and saying your good byes immediately after the PCM, and prior to another 14 hour day. I just pray that all the ones I left behind can get some relief or get out. ----overit

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Amen overit! its good to hear those things. From people who have done it. My favorite dream, is when they ask me for my uniform, and I have on my fanciest thong undies, and take it off right there. isnt that sad?. But perfection. :beautiful-female:

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
If he is indeed a pre load supervisor the ONLY reason I can see him working so late is because he is shuttling Misloads to drivers.If the hourlies in his center file grievances over this he'll be home way earlier.

Buck Fifty

"Vindictive" is an emotional state. Emotions have nothing to do with the profitable operation of a business. The simple, brutal, mathematical reality that all long-term UPS management people face is that they work for a company that stands to save up to half a million dollars by succesfully terminating their employment prior to reaching the age of 55.

I would not at all be surprised to find out that there is some sort of a "bounty" system whereby the individual who was able to find a way to terminate that 50+ yr old management person received a share of the $500K that they saved for the company, although this is purely speculation on my part.

I am personally aware of 3 successful terminations of long-term management people in my division in the last decade on what were, in my opinion at least, grossly trumped-up charges. All three of these individuals were at least 53 years of age. We are also seeing multiple examples in my division and district of long-term management people going out on "stress leave" which is pretty much the only card they have left to play if they are just trying to survive until 55.

I reach PEER 80 eligibility in 4 years, 9 months and 26 days (assuming I do not hold any vacation weeks over and choose to work until my seniority date in order to gain 7 additional vacation weeks prior to retirement) and the only question for me is whether my body will hold out for that remaining time. I'm glad that I dont have to worry about one of my "partners" sticking a shank in my back so that they can kick me out the door a year or two early and generate half a million in additional profits for the company.

Seen it first hand with quite few Upper Mgmt persons. It generally ends with pictures of him going into a hotel room with an hourly, or maybe a part time supervisors wife. You get the picture. That is the company you work for ! Believe it !

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Amen overit! its good to hear those things. From people who have done it. My favorite dream, is when they ask me for my uniform, and I have on my fanciest thong undies, and take it off right there. isnt that sad?. But perfection. :beautiful-female:

What is the difference between a regular and fancy thong? Thread count?

I have to agree with most of the posts here, what your husband is facing is company wide, maybe not to that extent (14-18 hr days), but everyone is getting squeezed, and squeezed hard! I use to love working for this company but not anymore, I am currently looking for another job myself! Help your husband find another job, e should be fully vested in the retirement plan, so anything he has earned he will keep.