Owning and Operating a FedEx Ground ISP

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I know what your saying but I gotta go somewhere else fedex isnt an option anymore. Whos gonna pay my healthcare costs in the future or help me retire. I have put in almost a decade of my life with fedex and it was a great help to me when the economy tanked in 08 when I got the job. Its my fault thou if I let my self become complacent and comfortable. I am very good at logistics, I have a really dense route I am talking 20-30 stops an hour every hour. I live on route so Im close to home all the time, but I need the benefits and time off more now than ever. I wanna start a future, get married and retire. I do my own 401k with fedex and I thank god trump got rid of the cripling healthcare penalty, but I gotta try to see if I can get in with ups. I have talked to all my guys on my areas, I have talked to 3 managers who live on my area and they all say jump ship your too good for them. I know the game and ive played harder than most ups guys for the past 5 yrs already. I asked the guys on my areas and I had more stops then them over christmas consistently. I know what Im getting myself into, and wont quit like alot of these new guys do when they dont realize what they got themselves into, I know alot of service areas as well because of my tenure. My ultimate goal is to do exactly the story you just said move up to linehaul asap. I have No interest in slinging packages for another 8 years.

How many tattoos you sportin

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Yup, I am like you, but I sorta became complacent in my current service area... It's what the brownies call a "retirement route" the trees outnumber my customers by at least 30 to 1 ratio

I have more windshield time than the average suburbia driver as well, which allows me to run around in shorts since I am not in a typical stepvan so I crank that heat towards my feet and let convection do the rest to keep the cab toasty

Yup, I am like you, but I sorta became complacent in my current service area... It's what the brownies call a "retirement route" the trees outnumber my customers by at least 30 to 1 ratio

I have more windshield time than the average suburbia driver as well, which allows me to run around in shorts since I am not in a typical stepvan so I crank that heat towards my feet and let convection do the rest to keep the cab toasty

I run a p550 ford step van, I average about 150-160 stops a day. That takes me about 7 hours to do from first to last stop.

OrioN

Lifer, you should've went to UPS as a seasonal driver first to show management that you can handle that p1000 like a boss, but that's in hindsight.

Then progress from going to inside work if they didn't have any drivers retiring or taking immediate vacations after peak ended.

But as I've seen your other posts, looks like you're at a bigger hub, so your chances of moving up to behind the wheel can be better than others. It all depends if that hub had some good seasonal temp drivers to begin with or not.

Good luck to y'all

OrioN

Sidenote, I knew of 2 cdl a and b drivers that went out there, but didn't like it. They should've spent some side time trying the yard tractors first...

In my terminal we have both the ole sticks and a new sweet push button automatic!

LoL, that thing was sweet when I sat in both, but alas, I know I didn't want step up to the big rigs when I was driving those things around in the yard

Sidenote, I knew of 2 cdl a and b drivers that went out there, but didn't like it. They should've spent some side time trying the yard tractors first...

In my terminal we have both the ole sticks and a new sweet push button automatic!

LoL, that thing was sweet when I sat in both, but alas, I know I didn't want step up to the big rigs when I was driving those things around in the yard

I have talked to every ups contact I have in my contacts just as soon as 5 minutes ago I got off the phone with a 28 yr veteran who is now a feeder driver. I dunno if every building is different but I am being told that right now is the time to get hired on to start the seniority clock. The seasonal drivers from last peak have been let go and now have to either wait for the bid sheet or move on. I just need to go into the interview state my intentions and show my experience said my veteran ups guy. Management doesnt always play by the rules so show them you have what it takes and can do what is asked and just wait for the bid sheet. Goodluck! I trust him so I will do it his way and hopefully end up on top. Wish me luck!

dmac1

Healthcare is unacceptably high last time I paid for it which was in 2013 to 2014. I was paying 140 a month and it jumped to 220 dollars a month over that period (which i never used it once), but I went to Obamacare's website and I didnt qualify for any rebates. So I am playing risky game but 200 a month or a 500 dollar penalty, is where i am at. I usually go to urgent care and pay outta pocket and both times it was 200 with medication. I do know now that I am not in my 20's anymore and if I dont take care of myself I wont be able to deliver anymore and workmans comp is a paycut. Also I made just under 50k last yr.

$220 a month is going to seem cheap if you break an ankle, or develop colon cancer. Without insurance, you are risking everything you own. If you don't have any assets, that may only be an issue for 7 years until the debt comes off your credit report. I was paying more than that for worse coverage even at age 30. But I was a homeowner, and also owned rental property so I had assets worth protecting. I think people need to look more at the asset protection value of health insurance in addition to taking care of your health. Taking care of your health means more than just seeing a doctor when your sick. And the asset and credit protection for $220 a month isn't bad since it includes office visits, lab tests, cancer screening, etc..

bacha29

$220 a month is going to seem cheap if you break an ankle, or develop colon cancer. Without insurance, you are risking everything you own. If you don't have any assets, that may only be an issue for 7 years until the debt comes off your credit report. I was paying more than that for worse coverage even at age 30. But I was a homeowner, and also owned rental property so I had assets worth protecting. I think people need to look more at the asset protection value of health insurance in addition to taking care of your health. Taking care of your health means more than just seeing a doctor when your sick. And the asset and credit protection for $220 a month isn't bad since it includes office visits, lab tests, cancer screening, etc..
Yes indeed. Hospitals are turning unpaid bills over to collection agencies Yes, health insurance is costly but compared to the alternative it's money well spent. Obama tried his best to improve access to health insurance and make it more affordable. As Obama pointed out one of the driving forces behind the creation of the ACA was that 86% of all personal bankruptcies in this country was attributed to medical bills. Sadly, in keeping with the GOP's most basic ideology you know.....if you're not rich it's your fault..... the ACA will disappear ,nothing will replace it scores of small community hospitals will go below the Mendoza line and with or without the ACA healthcare costs will just keep on their steep upward climb.

bacha29

Now your just being antagonistic don't you think? I stated I needed to get my cdl and this is why the way I chose to go is the way it is. I can go get my cdl and then tell you yes if youd like. Whats your credentials by the way? Where you in with UPS? Or just bitter because I made more than you and now Im trying to better myself by stemming the tide.
This morning UPS released it's last quarter results. Missed on both earnings and revenue. UPS CEO Richard Peretz was on CNBC this AM and talked about their plans to eliminate line sort package handlers at hubs. When a box comes off a trailer the bar code scan will immediately send it to the trailer going to the box's next destination. The only human handling will be the guys in the trailers and they are experimenting with robots in a effort to eliminate them as well. If successful thousands of package handlers will be eliminated. The only people who will remain are the ones with enough seniority and it might take a lot of that as well as the skills needed to operate, maintain and repair the new technology. If it works you'll have a handful of guys in the control room similar to power plants plus a few on the floor maintaining the equipment.

It will be fine

This morning UPS released it's last quarter results. Missed on both earnings and revenue. UPS CEO Richard Peretz was on CNBC this AM and talked about their plans to eliminate line sort package handlers at hubs. When a box comes off a trailer the bar code scan will immediately send it to the trailer going to the box's next destination. The only human handling will be the guys in the trailers and they are experimenting with robots in a effort to eliminate them as well. If successful thousands of package handlers will be eliminated. The only people who will remain are the ones with enough seniority and it might take a lot of that as well as the skills needed to operate, maintain and repair the new technology. If it works you'll have a handful of guys in the control room similar to power plants plus a few on the floor maintaining the equipment.
That's not how their hubs run now? No wonder they are slower than us.

Good then I dont have to be a package handler and be hired on experience and performance history.

bacha29

Good then I dont have to be a package handler and be hired on experience and performance history.
It all comes down to seniority pal and if this goes the way Peretz says it going then there will be thousands of former package handlers with seniority trying to go on the trucks the same place you want to go because they'll have nowhere else to go So park your ego and completely undeserved sense of self importance at the door because the numbers may not be in your favor.

It all comes down to seniority pal and if this goes the way Peretz says it going then there will be thousands of former package handlers with seniority trying to go on the trucks the same place you want to go because they'll have nowhere else to go So park your ego and completely undeserved sense of self importance at the door because the numbers may not be in your favor.

Dont worry I Surveyed Adjusted Forcasted and Excecuted a Safe backing environment and now I am safely parked at the door.

Jesus Christ I love your wild conjecture, unless you are someone who has inner knowledge at Ups Ie a corporate employee of high standing. Im gonna follow the only believe half what you see and none of what you hear rule with you.

Ps Pertez is CFO not CEO, and I thought this thread was over between me and you?

Last edited:

bacha29

Dont worry I Surveyed Adjusted Forcasted and Excecuted a Safe backing enviorment and now I am safely parked at the door.

Jesus Christ I love your wild conjecture, unless you are someone who has inner knowledge at Ups Ie a corporate employee of high standing. Im gonna follow the only believe half what you see and none of what you hear rule with you.

Ps Pertez is CFO not CEO, and I thought this thread was over between me and you?
Have you tried backing doubles? For a guy who is a self proclaimed "logistics expert" your spelling needs a bit of work. Believe me pal, if I had quarter for every person I talked to who had exactly the same strategy you have and that's to get on with UPS and all your problems are solved I would be living at Pebble Beach owning a house that is second to none.

Have you tried backing doubles? For a guy who is a self proclaimed "logistics expert" your spelling needs a bit of work. Believe me pal, if I had quarter for every person I talked to who had exactly the same strategy you have and that's to get on with UPS and all your problems are solved I would be living at Pebble Beach owning a house that is second to none.

Thanks I fixed that spelling for you. Well I hope I get to keep my quarter snd not have to give it to you. My wife and 5 children need that money.

Also if I need help in spelling you need help in attention to detail, My username doesn't dictate I am an expert, nor did I claim to be one. I am a professional thou with alot of time in. Also the CFO to CEO thing Chief Financial Officer vs Chief Executive Officer

To be Continued......... Gotta go sling packages for a living ;)

bacha29

Thanks I fixed that spelling for you. Well I hope I get to keep my quarter snd not have to give it to you. My wife and 5 children need that money.

Also if I need help in spelling you need help in attention to detail, My username doesn't dictate I am an expert, nor did I claim to be one. I am a professional thou with alot of time in. Also the CFO to CEO thing Chief Financial Officer vs Chief Executive Officer

To be Continued......... Gotta go sling packages for a living ;)
Just exactly what profession are you in? The term professional is a title that is reserved for the people who truly are. Doctors, Teachers Lawyers Professors etc. So cut the B.S. What you're doing is blue collar unskilled labor . Deal with it. I've seen scores like you. You wanted the "American Dream". Nice house in a good neighborhood. Family and kids . Picket fence, minivan and a dog and wrongly assumed that the money to pay for all this would come easily. WRONG! Now if you are lucky enough and I mean extremely lucky to get in with UPS and even luckier to get into CDL school and you walk into that classroom on the first day and you can't explain the difference between a twin screw and a dead axle or the difference between a drop deck and a walking floor you're behind the curve. Moreover the instructors will see right away if you have the eyesight , the ability to judge distances, the quick reflexes and the ability to manage the sky high stress The point I'm getting at is that there is no correlation in terms of driving environment between that little 6 wheeler you're running and those 40 ton behemoths. You say "stop", it says "when". You say "turn" it's says "does it matter which direction".The task in front of you is to learn as much as you can about those rolling coffins ahead of time in order to be prepared if that lucky chance comes along. Here's an idea. Some night, you don't have to work the next day and the weather is bad ask your line haul guy if you can ride along. You might have a chance to learn an important fact about Class A truckers It's not their body that goes first. It's their nerves.

Packageguy82

If you are ok with looking at FedEx being your sole customer and those you deliver to are FedEx's customers you can do great in there model as long as you put the work in and have a process that can be duplicated. Problem most have is they want to view FedEx as their business partner, this view point will not get you far and it will feel like you have no control in how your business operates. Figure out the balance between profitability and keeping your customer happy.

dmac1

Regarding getting rid of package handlers- I can see where UPS can get huge lifts that will pick up and shake packages from the trailer into a hopper, at a pace that the automated conveyors can handle. One employee could oversee a whole lot of these 'trailer shakers.'And there are already machines that can calculate how to load a box with smaller various sized items. Upscaling to trailer sized is only a matter of scale.