P/U times

Steelheader

The Fishing UPS Guy
DS, it really depends on the route you do. Not just a business/city pickup route. Some routes literally change daily. Mine is one. I'm in a very tight business route. I have 6 onroute pickups (the other 15 are consecutive pickups done from 330-5). Problem with my route is this. My pickups range (and yes, this is correct) from 250-1,000 pieces picked up a day (yup, have actually loaded that many between TP60 and my P1000). Now, if I'm running mostly smaller stuff, I can get it all in pretty fast and quickly. But the days I'm doing about 350 packages and almost all of them being around 65#'s each, it takes me a bit longer between stops. Funniest thing of all, the days I have the least amount of packages takes me MORE time, since they are heavier and more cumbersome to load. My last two pickups are "end of day" pickups. If I drop air, I simply drop and go about my deliveries and hit those two after I'm done. Sometimes I pick them up at 430-5, sometimes at 7pm (since both want as LATE of pickup as possible). Of course days I work later, I prelim for any air they may have.

Also, on my business route, most of my customers want as MUCH time as possible to process. Funny that the more "on time" I get, the more time they need. Why I give my customers more of an "open" schedule. ALL my customers love this. I don't tell them they all can have a later pickup, but most know that if they need time I can swing right back later and hit whatever they may have left (will prelim what they have ready). Guess who's route is one of the most productive in the center? Mine. When I won the bid on this route almost 5 years ago, it wasn't picking up nearly what it is now. I've grown the volume quite a bit serving the customers needs. I think this window is a very stupid idea. I know they've had a time commitment, but not a 15 minute window (at least not in my 16 years of driving). We've had a time frame we couldn't pickup before, but could pickup almost anytime after. I think this is simply the flavor of the month, and will be gone before you know it (like the mandatory 1 hour lunches).

M

Mrmcq2

i have 2 p/ups... and one is in trace and the other is once a week. My Home depot Pick up has my cell and when they need extra, i give it to them.
thats just the way i work.

25yrvet

Used to be that our customers could almost set their clocks by our del & p/u times. But mgt does't care about that anymore with their new white elephant called 'edd'.

Swing drivers are terrible at this on my area---no respect for me, the rt or the customers. What do they care...they'll be off this rt in a week & maybe get a couple half days next week if they do a 'good job' wink, wink,