Package car ad

U

upsermom

Did you all see the jet engine package car? My son would like that to drive to the airport on Saturdays. Much better than the 60mph his tops out at.

T

trickpony1

I assume your son gets paid by the hour.
He should slow down to a safe speed of 50-55 mph and enjoy the trip.
The company has a proud legacy of safety to uphold.

O

over9five

I don't believe we're properly licensed to operate a jet engine package car either...

O

over9five

Even if we were so licensed, UPS would deny all comp claims resulting from unsafe use of that car...

Oh yeah, they do that anyhow.

U

upsermom

It was a joke!
That's why he likes saturday driving. It is easy money. One hour on the interstate each way. That's four hours plus his 20 some packages.

F

fredly00

60... damn yours gets up and goes.
I drove to the airport the other day
I was lucky to get 35 on a steady hill.
out of one of our 700's. Of course
we have a 47 that does 60... but thats
only if you can hold on to the steering wheel
It shakes so bad, you think your gonna fall out the door with the seat.

M

mattwtrs

Do we work for the same company? I have a favorite 500 that will go over 80 mph on the interstate if I want to! The steering is perfect and there is no vibration. I guess it depends on who you have for a mechanic!!

F

fredly00

Well I should follow up by saying my
p1000 is perfect, as it should be with
only 60,000 on the clock.

And the majority of our smaller cars
are used for rural dirt roads etc etc etc.
so they get beat good.

D

dannyboy

Matt

I guess it depends on who you have for a mechanic!!

Not really. I would pit our mechanics against any in the nation. But if all they are allowed to do is patch older package cars because they are not worth fixing.....

We have cars out every day that would make the Uhaul fleet look brand new.

They do what they can with what they have.

As for the shaking, that is mostly tires, and I have had as many as 6-8 sets in a row daily before they found a set that did not shake.

As for 80MPH, corp has decreed that all package cars be throttled down so hard that most will not hit 65 much less 70. Theoreticallly it is to save on fuel, but it provides many instances where the driver needs pick up and go, but the car is sadly lacking.

Interestingly they can screw around with the engine all they want to get what they want out of it, but yet they can not lower the hand rails so the driver can use it properly.

d

T

trickpony1

I drove a feeder truck recently that had 1.5 million miles on it.
It didn't shake but the gutted out engine had trouble pulling the over-weight triples up hills.

I

isdrone

I had a 60' something model package car. Manual clutch, manual brake and no power steering. I thought I was wrestling a bull when I drove it.

Then I got a new 700 (96' or 97'). It would fly! Rode like a dream. I think it would top out around 80. I never pushed my luck though. I would have rather had my job than flying in a package car

Q

quebec_driver

My p7 will peak at 65mph, The new 47s from mercedes are locked at 85mph, I`ve seen p5 go 70mph in my center, i cuess it really depends on your mechanic, I`m more interested in the heater working on cold days than speed