Package Car Driver Bonus

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
The suck asses get good time studies.

No one gets good time studies. The suck asses figure out ways to game the system.

Makes you wonder what kind of bonus they could be making if the odds weren't always in favor of the "house".

I'll take the o/t. It's always been easier to make than bonus.

Sent using Two Tin Cans Connected with String

Bottom rung

Finish your route under what the Ouija board says and you get paid for your plan day. sups don't like the "paid over report" so if you're under allowed, you're in the good graces of management....well until you make a mistake.

No one gets good time studies. The suck asses figure out ways to game the system.

Makes you wonder what kind of bonus they could be making if the odds weren't always in favor of the "house".

I'll take the o/t. It's always been easier to make than bonus.

Sent using Two Tin Cans Connected with String
I agree. I made over 100k last year the old fashioned way.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Does anyone know how the bonuses work for a package car driver, specifically in the bonus centers?
If you run under your planned day you get paid for the planned day instead of your hours worked, the amount that you run under is the bonus. So for instance you had a 10 hour planned day and finished in 9 hours, you be paid 8 hours straight time, 1 hour OT and 1 hour bonus. Some centers pay bonus as straight time, others pay it at OT rate.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Is the so called "bonus" really that good when they skip lunch and work for free?

I'm really surprised the lawyers have not got involved yet blaming this system for all sort of things?

upschuck

From what I was told, don't remember by who and a long time ago, but they said it is the union that tells which centers are bonus centers, and which are not; that at a meeting, a membership vote could change this, is this correct?

Rainman

Its all good.
From what I was told, don't remember by who and a long time ago, but they said it is the union that tells which centers are bonus centers, and which are not; that at a meeting, a membership vote could change this, is this correct?
Years ago we were allowed to vote whether or not to become a bonus center. We were told that the union didn't recognize bonus, only overtime. This way the union didn't involve itself with standards, which can be very slanted depending on the route. I think we were told that we could vote bonus back out too, but that never happened. Bonus can help with family life by helping you get home earlier without losing money, but when people take unnecessary chances it can be very bad for all involved.

Sent using BrownCafe App

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Bonus centers are where guys bust their ass to be paid under. Then UPS, ups the stop count where the driver cannot scratch. Then expects them to live up to impossible numbers. Am I correct? Safety first guys -------right

oldngray

nowhere special
Years ago we were allowed to vote whether or not to become a bonus center. We were told that the union didn't recognize bonus, only overtime. This way the union didn't involve itself with standards, which can be very slanted depending on the route. I think we were told that we could vote bonus back out too, but that never happened. Bonus can help with family life by helping you get home earlier without losing money, but when people take unnecessary chances it can be very bad for all involved.

Sent using BrownCafe App

My center voted bonus out because of all the problems involved with it. The only unhappy people were the few bonus babies that more about doing anything to get done early instead of doing the job correctly. Some issues were the bogus time allowances that kept changing to make it harder to scratch and unfair time studies. And if a driver was too far under plan the company would pull out its magic pencil and arbitrarily change the numbers.

Rainman

Its all good.
My center voted bonus out because of all the problems involved with it. The only unhappy people were the few bonus babies that more about doing anything to get done early instead of doing the job correctly. Some issues were the bogus time allowances that kept changing to make it harder to scratch and unfair time studies. And if a driver was too far under plan the company would pull out its magic pencil and arbitrarily change the numbers.
We have had the company alter standards on high bonus routes a number of times over the years. Most routes can't bonus anymore, especially since Orion. It's nice to have bonus for the days when you really need to get off early. At least you can get back part of what you give up.

Sent using BrownCafe App

didyousheetit

We have guys that regularly make, 2 to 3 hours of bonus a day. Probably half the center makes it. It's much harder to make it now days. To wally: in our state they can't force you to take a lunch, so the runners work through it but theyare still on the clock.

Sent using BrownCafe App

EmraldArcher

If you run under your planned day you get paid for the planned day instead of your hours worked, the amount that you run under is the bonus. So for instance you had a 10 hour planned day and finished in 9 hours, you be paid 8 hours straight time, 1 hour OT and 1 hour bonus. Some centers pay bonus as straight time, others pay it at OT rate.

I think we should be fighting to stop being assigned planned days of 10 hours rather then trying to get bonuses for finishing a egregious amount of work early.

Overpaid Union Thug

Bonus is nothing more than a scam to get drivers to violate the contract and methods to get done earlier. In the end WE ALL pay the price for it with tighter time allowances and more work as a result of those tighter allowances. The only way bonus would be good would be in a fantasy land version of UPS where all time allowances are fair and accurate.

ncupser82

Finish your route under what the Ouija board says and you get paid for your plan day. sups don't like the "paid over report" so if you're under allowed, you're in the good graces of management....well until you make a mistake.
Amen! The work you have to put in to make bonus these days puts you at risk for accident or injury! There's no sense in forcing yourself to work a system that will eventually get you fired!

Sent using BrownCafe App