Package car driver from S.m.a.r.t hub?

LOLLaLa

So I just started working at the new smart hub in Atlanta and was wondering if years down the road I would like to be a package car driver, would this be possible since our hub is only for tractor trailers? I'd hate to put time in here, have to transfer to another one and start from the bottom to get a shot at driving the package car. Thanks!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I thought Atlanta and Forest Park sent package car routes to the Smart Hub? @scratch what say you?
West Forest Park Center sent 25 routes to the original Atlanta Hub with the Marvin Miller Drive address where I first started. I do know some Forest Park Feeder drivers who had their runs moved to the new SMART Hub, I just don't know how many.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I don't think that the SMART Hub is completely finished. When I walked through it on opening day they were still installing conveyor belts in certain parts of the building. My understanding is that there will be several hundred package routes running out of it eventually.

If you are working in a building that doesn't have package or feeder bid jobs, I think that you can bid on those jobs in the nearest building. An example would be the part time workers at the Atlanta Airport Gateway could bid on full-time jobs at the nearest Package Center like the two in Forest Park. This may fall under certain Regional Supplements like a lot of things do.

Last edited:

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Like OP the airport part time operations/etc herehstill can bid a master list twice yearly to package car positions anywhere in the local. There will probably be similar language for the smart hub.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
There are 2 centers in SMART with two more coming so yea package is healthy there
If all the buildings are in the same local can’t any driver within those buildings bid into open feeder jobs??? I assume that would also go for pters who wanted to go package car driving .... @scratch ???

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Local 728 covers the whole state of Georgia and my understanding is that a part-timer can bid on full-time jobs in the nearest building if his building doesn't have FT work. Like a Gateway at the airport. SMARTA apparently is now running package cars out of it like I was told it would.