Package car drivers in there sixties?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You keep running all them miles HANSOLO youll last 8 years instead of 16. You better protect them knees son. Im not dogging you trying to stay in shape but commonsense would tell me if im beating the hell out of my knees everyday at work why the hell would I beat the hell out of my knees outside of work. Outside running aint paying your bills UPS is. You want to run all them miles I got a better one for ya and will get plenty of exercise doing it. Its called a stationary bike. Live it, learn it, love it. Just saying dude in my opinion its idiotic to beat the hell out of your knees on top of doing this crazy job everyday. This job is a marathon you aint going to win that race in 1 day. Take care of your body and use commonsense.
exercise bike is a great suggestion

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You keep running all them miles HANSOLO youll last 8 years instead of 16. You better protect them knees son. Im not dogging you trying to stay in shape but commonsense would tell me if im beating the hell out of my knees everyday at work why the hell would I beat the hell out of my knees outside of work. Outside running aint paying your bills UPS is. You want to run all them miles I got a better one for ya and will get plenty of exercise doing it. Its called a stationary bike. Live it, learn it, love it. Just saying dude in my opinion its idiotic to beat the hell out of your knees on top of doing this crazy job everyday. This job is a marathon you aint going to win that race in 1 day. Take care of your body and use commonsense.
Agreed.....save your knees, you'll miss them when they're gone.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have three package car drivers who run on a daily basis and neither have complained about the added stress to their knees.

Indecisi0n

I would be more concerned with how they affect the body.

homer-doh.gif

JL 0513

There's a number of guys still driving package cars in their '70's. It can be done. Of course by then, you get the easiest route available.

As for running on the side? That's crazy to do as a UPS driver. Running is one of the highest impact things you can do to your knees. It's fine if you don't do a job like ours, but you're just compounding the likelihood that you'll need knee replacements. If you want to make it to retirement, don't run.

I'm just 34 and my knees are feeling old already. Kinda concerning.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
In life many people think about the now not the later. I don't understand why people think like that. I guess some peoples mental preparation and awareness are alot stronger than others. Got to think outside the box, some people just don't have the mental capacity to do that. It all correlates back to how stupid it is to run on top of killing your knees already on this job. I just don't get it what people are thinking. I guess im just never amazed about how stupid people are without thinking out their actions and the consequences they may have on them physicaly or mentally and financially.

TheKid

I will be eligible at 57 (we need age 57 and 30 yrs for full pension) , I am shooting for 60 because we get a bonus if we stay 'til 60. . . . . we'll see when I get closer.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In life many people think about the now not the later. I don't understand why people think like that. I guess some peoples mental preparation and awareness are alot stronger than others. Got to think outside the box, some people just don't have the mental capacity to do that. It all correlates back to how stupid it is to run on top of killing your knees already on this job. I just don't get it what people are thinking. I guess im just never amazed about how stupid people are without thinking out their actions and the consequences they may have on them physicaly or mentally and financially.

I think you missed the fact he was in feeder.

I do agree most runners have structural issues later in life.

Raw

Raw Member
In January I will turn 53 years old and have 26 years in. Last week I went to YMCA all 5 days on lunch to work out with one day I hit the gym before work for a workout then swam laps for 40 minutes that day on lunch break. I have no aches or pains and average about 185 stops a day at 21.5 stops per hour. Age is only a number!

JL 0513

In January I will turn 53 years old and have 26 years in. Last week I went to YMCA all 5 days on lunch to work out with one day I hit the gym before work for a workout then swam laps for 40 minutes that day on lunch break. I have no aches or pains and average about 185 stops a day at 21.5 stops per hour. Age is only a number!

Wow, never heard a guy hit the gym at lunch. That's a lot to do within 60 min. Change out of your uniform then back in, workout, eat,...

Never mind that a lot of guys sort their trucks/slide packages up at lunch, although many guys refuse to do this on their own time. This takes about 10 minutes and I'm afraid that if they see me stopped for 80 minutes then "I'm stealing time". This is my first year so I still do it.

The drivers I know with knee problems have never been runners. Meanwhile, the runners are doing just fine. I don't see the evidence that running WILL wear out your knees, or cause "structural issues", whatever that means.

Wow, never heard a guy hit the gym at lunch. That's a lot to do within 60 min. Change out of your uniform then back in, workout, eat,...
I have a gym on route. I am in and out in 30-35 minutes, targeting just the exercises I need. No need to change out of/into uniform.
It's a nice air-conditioned break in the summer.