Package car drivers who give out dog treats

Yes, I do. I'm a dog lover to begin with and it makes me smile every time I see a dog watching my approaching truck, tail wagging a million miles a minute. The dogs on my route know they are going to get a treat and they can't wait to see me. Some will even climb into the truck if I'm in the back looking for a package. Those dogs can really cheer you up if you're having a bad day.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Nope. I've actually had a huge bag sitting in my garage for over a year now. It's a pain when your a cover guy to drag it around all the time. Oh and by the way it's against company policy.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
I still had out dog treats even though I was told not to. I guess I don't listen to well or I'm just plain stubborn. O well the dogs on my Rte appreciate it and the owners.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I used to but I would prefer if the dog stays where it is so I can be on my way. Kind of like people. The less contact the better.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
My wife fusses every week when i buy a big bag of treats for dogs that arent ours .I love tossing them out to the sweet pups on my route

bigblu 2 you

customer on my route has a bull mastiff.that dude is huge.im afraid if i dont give him a treat he will treat himself to me.been training him since he was a pup.

rod

Retired 22 years
I did for many many years. I bought them at the feed store out of a bulk container. They were dirt cheap that way. I kept a bag of them on my dash at all times. Dogs don't care if you buy the cheapest treats possible--in fact the cheaper they were the better they liked them.

barnyard

KTM rider
I used to and decided not to anymore about a month ago.

Why???

Handing out treats teaches dogs to come running for the truck. I don't need to hit one of them or make it harder to arrive or leave a delivery point. I will scratch a dog, talk nice and all that, but no more treats.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I go through $10 or $15 worth of dog treats per month. I try to stock up on the big 5lb bags whenever they go on sale, right now I have 2 full bags in my truck and another one in my locker. Gotta give treats to my buddies!

clarnzz

As a cover driver, I give them out if they are in the truck, but do not bring my own which can really suck if they are used to the route driver giving them treats.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
No, I don't like dogs running up to my truck under any circumstances. I talk to them and pet them, thats it. I've tried throwing treats to vicious dogs before, usually didn't work. I had a bad dog grab a 20 lb. box out of my hands yesterday and run around shaking it. I got a DR Bag empty cardboard tube and took the box back....

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
No, I don't like dogs running up to my truck under any circumstances. I talk to them and pet them, thats it. I've tried throwing treats to vicious dogs before, usually didn't work. I had a bad dog grab a 20 lb. box out of my hands yesterday and run around shaking it. I got a DR Bag empty cardboard tube and took the box back....
I don't deliver to any house with a dog that I don't feel 100% safe being around. Needless to say I now have customers that come to the street as I beep the horn as I approach the stop. I'd also add that if a dog has some sort of intolerance to soy or wheat in the biscuit, dies or becomes ill, or just gets sick from eating something else that day and you happen to be seen giving him a treat, be prepared to have a few weeks off mininium. UPS has stated over and over, for the above reasons and others mentioned in this thread, we are not to give treats to animals.