Package Cars

vwbajabug

I have seen different package cars mentioned and I was wondering what's the difference among the package cars? The only one that I know for sure is a P600.

bugman74

i have two trucks a one thousand and an A2 van, so how is the size firgured on the A2 van? It is freaking big, that is for sure!

J

johnny lightning

An A2 is a 26 foot straight truck that has been converted with roller balls in the floor and side access doors so that it can haul 2 air cans (igloos). Thus A2. There is an air valve that can lower the roller balls below the level of the floor so it can be used for bulk delivery and pickup. An A4 is a 40 foot trailer with four positions for bringing air cans back to hub from airport. There is an A5 which is 53 feet and holds 5 cans. Old bubbletop econoline vans were p31's, Mid nineties there were new p32's. 60's and 70's had p400, p600, and p800's. The 80's brought p1000's, p1200's. Now there are a new p57 to relace the p500's. The sprinter vans are p47's.

govols019

You smell that?
A P500 was a good truck. Only thing you had to remember was to duck going out the rear doors. I chipped a tooth one time when I forgot.

browniehound

The bigger the number, the bigger the car. Usuallly that's true anyway.

Cement,
I don't think that's the case anymore. We have p12's with numbers like 132453 and p10's with a number like 141223.

On a side note, does anyone know how long its going to take to replace the fleet with new automatic, powel steering diesel vehicels?

New Englander

Cement,
I don't think that's the case anymore. We have p12's with numbers like 132453 and p10's with a number like 141223.

On a side note, does anyone know how long its going to take to replace the fleet with new automatic, powel steering diesel vehicels?

Nope, it's not perfectly the case anymore but for all general chatting. It still holds true and makes sense.

brownrodster

Cement,

I think we have at least 3 p12's with drasticaly different numbering schemes. Quite a few p10's that start with 141. A bunch of p5's and a ton of p7's. Not sure if we have any p6's. Also have a bunch of those huge straight trucks that do huge bulk stops and pickups. My absolute favorite trucks are the p7's. We have at least 3 different models of automatic p7's, maybe more.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Some bean-counting maroon from I.E. made a rule that UPS must get 30 years of service out of each vehicle, no matter what. We had a P-600 that threw a rod when it was 29 1/2 years old. The mechanics had to install a completely new engine in it...after which it got driven once or twice as a shop spare before they hauled it off and crushed it.
We currently have P-1000's in service of early 90's vintage with no power steering, 3-point seat belt etc. UPS will continue endangering the lives of its employees with these deathtraps for at least 10 or 15 more years. UPS...the company that cares.

satellitedriver

A P500 was a good truck. Only thing you had to remember was to duck going out the rear doors. I chipped a tooth one time when I forgot.
I still drive one, forgetting to duck coming in from the back door will leave two indentions in your skull from the two pointed door latch points on the header of the back door.
I have never been knocked out in my life, but twice I have gone done to my knees while climbing into my P5 from the back bumper.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Sober. Now with the new P7's they are just hoping to get 10 years out of these vehicles.
The best truck I ever had was a 1996 International P700 with the 5-speed trans and Powerstroke diesel. It was gutless, but it was a very good work platform. Low to the ground, plenty of legroom, etc. They took it away from me and sent it down to Eugene about 6 months ago, it was running just fine with a tad over 200,000 miles on it. I'm quite sure they could get 30 years or more out of it as long as they are willing to replace the engine a couple of times.