Package Dispatch

uncle tom

What The Hell Is It? I Was Offered A Promotion And Have To Interview For It. Just Wondering What A Package Dispatch Supervisor Does And What Not. I Just Wanted To Know Before I Get Myself In To Something I Will Regret Later. Thanks

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
What The Hell Is It? I Was Offered A Promotion And Have To Interview For It. Just Wondering What A Package Dispatch Supervisor Does And What Not. I Just Wanted To Know Before I Get Myself In To Something I Will Regret Later. Thanks

I'm surprised you have to interview for it. If you're already a member of management, don't they just tell you where you're going and you just have to step to? I'd be surprised if they put a just-promoted supe into this position. However, the fact that you have to interview for this position suggests there is more to the story, such as qualifications and/or personality traits. Then again...what do I know? I'm a "grunt" sorter in a hub. -Rocky

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
isnt UNCLE TOM a derogatory name for black people ? Is everyone ok with this name just wondering if I was the only person who noticed this ? am I making a mountain over a mole hill ? if so please slap me and put me back in my place I`ll shut up no prob.

HazMatMan

isnt UNCLE TOM a derogatory name for black people ? Is everyone ok with this name just wondering if I was the only person who noticed this ? am I making a mountain over a mole hill ? if so please slap me and put me back in my place I`ll shut up no prob.

No, Uncle Tom is not derogatory for all black people, only those who seem to side with Mr. Whitey himself were called Uncle Toms... And it's making a mountain OUT of a mole hill, not OVER a mole hill. Uncle Tom is a pejorative for an African American who is perceived by other blacks as subservient to White American authority figures..

uncle tom

My name is Tom and i just recently became an Uncle sorrry if i offend anyone. I am not currently in management im just a sorter but was offered to take an intervirew for a package dispatch supervisor, i just want to know what they do if they are supervisors for load site or unload or do they work in an office? what do their tasks and responsibilties consist of?

brownieboy

Package Dispatch... Hmmm you know when there are two hills close together? The area between thes two hills is like Package dispatch. **** runs downhill and you will catch all of it. Drivers hate you for sending them out heavy, management Rips you if you dont send drivers out heavy. Couldnt pay me enough to deal with all the BS.

Last edited by a moderator:

under the radar

A Trained Professional
"I Was Offered A Promotion And Have To Interview For It. Just Wondering What A Package Dispatch Supervisor Does And What Not. I Just Wanted To Know Before I Get Myself In To Something I Will Regret Later. Thanks"

Dude, Why don't you ask THEM!

JustTired

free at last.......

My guess is that you will regret it. brownieboy is pretty close to being right. If the PAS/EDD system had been set up right in the first place, the job might not be near as bad.

First off (if I understand the job correctly) you will get a report with the amount of pkgs and stops that are projected to reach your center that day (for some reason these projections are almost always low). Then you will be told how many cars you can have on road. Then it's up to you to spread the dispatch out over these cars. Oh, by the way, there will be 2-6 more cars worth of work than you are allowed to dispatch. You will have to make moves (add/cuts) to even the dispatch. The work moved will most likely make no sense, but that's not your problem. The problem lies in the system itself. But you'll be the one catching the crap.

Unless they're going to be paying you a boatload more money, I think I'd pass. Of course you won't know how much you're going to make until you take the plunge. As a driver I make pretty good money. But I'm afraid they'd have to pay me twice what I'm making now to even think about it.

Good luck, no matter what you chose to do.

C

Cali

The name "Uncle Tom" kind of stops me right in my tracks. And then I read on. I know you are a "Tom" but one can't help but think of it as a racist term first and then get past it. I am sure not everybody thinks this way, but I agree with UK on this one.

upsgrunt

The name "Uncle Tom" kind of stops me right in my tracks. And then I read on. I know you are a "Tom" but one can't help but think of it as a racist term first and then get past it. I am sure not everybody thinks this way, but I agree with UK on this one.

I'm white and enjoy Saltine crackers- if I had chosen cracker for my screen name would you find that offensive too? Sometimes people read into things waaaayyyy to much. I'm all against racism, but where do we draw the line?

tieguy

Banned
hmmm. lets try something different and stop being offended.

Good advice from radar. Go talk to a package oms to find out what they do every day.

pretzel_man

Tom,

The real question is whether you want to go into management or not. Its not whether being a PDS is right for you.

BTW, I'm surprised that they're offering you a PDS as your first assignment. Its supposed to be targeted at seasoned supervisors.

In order to be effective, a PDS needs some technical skills as well as a thorough understanding of the dispatch methodologies. You'll need to know how to analyze and plan and would be held accountable for some tough decisions.

Again, the real question is whether you want to go into management or not. Your first assignament is just that, the FIRST assignment. I made that decision almost 30 years ago, and am glad I did.

We need the right people to get us through the next 30 years.

Best of luck,

P-Man

JustTired

free at last.......
Tom,

BTW, I'm surprised that they're offering you a PDS as your first assignment. Its supposed to be targeted at seasoned supervisors.

Yeah....and we see how well that's working!:wink:

In order to be effective, a PDS needs some technical skills as well as a thorough understanding of the dispatch methodologies. You'll need to know how to analyze and plan and would be held accountable for some tough decisions.

Oh....nevermind...... now I understand the problem!:wink::wink:

raceanoncr

I am offended by the names: RockyRogue, UK Guy, over9five, HazMatMan, Brownieway, Under the radar, JustTired, cali, Upsgrunt, Tieguy, and Pretzelman, so please stop using these.

kasaroo

Take this job only if you love pain! You will be hit from all directions--the drivers, supervisors, center managers,.....and have tons of reports to read and follow and correct every day! You will never be able to keep everyone happy.
Best of luck to you!

over9five

Staff member
Pretzel Man, long time no see!

Why does it say Pretzel Mans only had 3 posts? I seem to remember many more than that (tho long ago).

HazMatMan

I agree.

pretzel_man

Pretzel Man, long time no see!

Why does it say Pretzel Mans only had 3 posts? I seem to remember many more than that (tho long ago).

Hi,

thank you. I don't know why it says only 3 posts?? I did post here often before.

I still read things here regularly... Often everyone has already said the important things, so posting additional comments seemed redundant.

In this case, I thought the person has an important life decision to make and firgured weighing in would be appropriate.

thanks,

P-Man