Pardon me while I go puke

kenco80233

Not to sound cold hearted, but what exactly would you have liked them to have done with the vehicle other than what they did?
It should have been red tagged until an accident investgation was done to determine if it was a driver error,or a mechanical problem,which was parialy responsible for the accident,parlking brake out of adjustment and transmission would pop out of park..When OSHA arrived the next day,they had some choice words for the boss that instructed us to use it before it was checked out. I used that yard shifter for several years afterword with no problems.I learned long ago,that it is a bussiness,with very little consern for your personal feelings.As a boss once told me,leave your touchy feelings at time clock when you punch in.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have to admit that I didn't even think that the vehicle should have red tagged and put out of service until the investigation had been completed. I apologize for my post as I did not think before I typed.

Fnix

There could have been a mechanical problem that caused the driver to die, so when they put someone in the truck afterwards they could have died from the problem as well.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
That Safety Committee guy is coded over to 76 "UPS School" so it doesn't count against your buildings numbers. I would suggest joining the safety comittee so you can help put stickers on windshields.
No thanks, I prefer to earn my money doing something that actually matters.

soberups

But, You've said many times that the retrofit would cost $30 but now you admit that was a deceivingly low price compared to actual cost.
I have never stated that it would cost $30 to do a refit. I have always consistently stated that UPS "made a business decision that the life of the driver was not worth the $30 that it would have cost to equip the package car with a 3-point seat belt". Please feel free to go back and show me a post where I have stated otherwise.

soberups

The only reason automatics were introduced into the fleet is because its now cheaper to maintain an automatic. I was not only told this by one of our mechanics but by two different IE guys. You need to stop kidding yourself about UPS's "good intentions".
Wow a mechanic and two I.E. Couldn't you find a porter or carwasher to support your theory?
Its not a theory. The Allison Duramax automatic transmission has been on the market for about 8 years now. Unlike previous automatics, it has an extreme-duty life expectancy of about 200,000 miles before requiring removal and overhaul. The Spicer 5-speed manual transmission that it replaced has a 250,000 mile life expectancy, but it needs a clutch rebuild every 15 or 20 thousand miles. Also, the newest generation of electronically controlled 4 cylinder diesel engines perform better when the engine management system can control the shift points for the automatic transmission to match engine output, RPM's etc. This wasn't necessary with the older PowerStroke and Cummins engines from the 90's. If you dont believe me, Tieguy, ask one of our mechanics.

McBrown

Slave To The Grind
As someone who went to safety meetings for the free food then was tricked into the safety committee non-management co-chair, I don't know what to do with the whole safety committee!!

I realize that in the past, UPS didn't care about drivers safety or anyone's safety for that matter. It's a real tough sell and I don't know why they try to make me push it so much!

In my opinion, UPS should make sweeping changes to make safety the number one priority and not just an afterthought when something serious goes down.

A few years ago, we had a driver t-boned in an intersection. The truck was tipped over onto it's side and the driver of the other vehicle (passed out at this point) had their foot on the gas and drove into the cab of the package car. Luckily for our guy, the truck laid on the passengers side and the other vehicle was struck on the passenger side of the cab.

When the "investigation" was complete, management determined that it was avoidable because our driver failed to clear the intersection. These types of decisions cause everyone to think twice about how much of a priority safety is. It seems more like a blame game than a way to correct at risk behaviors!

I have not gone to the extreme of having my co-workers pick a Baby Ruth up off the floor. I have chosen to focus on what and who we are all working for. It takes the focus off of trying to avoid accidents and injuries to keep management off our case and puts it squarely on the set of big beautiful blue eyes my daughter meets me at the door with when I come home at night without having any accidents or injuries.

Some managers get ideas in their heads about a "unique & fun" way to spread the word about safety, but we all know what we're supposed to do! We all work in the parameters of the job and know what we can do and where our breaking points are. Dignity would be appreciated when it comes to safety. We're not all immature kids with our hands out for the next safety donut reward!

tieguy

Banned
Its not a theory. The Allison Duramax automatic transmission has been on the market for about 8 years now. Unlike previous automatics, it has an extreme-duty life expectancy of about 200,000 miles before requiring removal and overhaul. The Spicer 5-speed manual transmission that it replaced has a 250,000 mile life expectancy, but it needs a clutch rebuild every 15 or 20 thousand miles. Also, the newest generation of electronically controlled 4 cylinder diesel engines perform better when the engine management system can control the shift points for the automatic transmission to match engine output, RPM's etc. This wasn't necessary with the older PowerStroke and Cummins engines from the 90's. If you dont believe me, Tieguy, ask one of our mechanics.

your in a different arena , that response was directed to griff who is trying to deny the switch to automatics had anything to do with safety.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
As someone who went to safety meetings for the free food then was tricked into the safety committee non-management co-chair, I don't know what to do with the whole safety committee!!

I realize that in the past, UPS didn't care about drivers safety or anyone's safety for that matter. It's a real tough sell and I don't know why they try to make me push it so much!

In my opinion, UPS should make sweeping changes to make safety the number one priority and not just an afterthought when something serious goes down.

A few years ago, we had a driver t-boned in an intersection. The truck was tipped over onto it's side and the driver of the other vehicle (passed out at this point) had their foot on the gas and drove into the cab of the package car. Luckily for our guy, the truck laid on the passengers side and the other vehicle was struck on the passenger side of the cab.

When the "investigation" was complete, management determined that it was avoidable because our driver failed to clear the intersection. These types of decisions cause everyone to think twice about how much of a priority safety is. It seems more like a blame game than a way to correct at risk behaviors!

I have not gone to the extreme of having my co-workers pick a Baby Ruth up off the floor. I have chosen to focus on what and who we are all working for. It takes the focus off of trying to avoid accidents and injuries to keep management off our case and puts it squarely on the set of big beautiful blue eyes my daughter meets me at the door with when I come home at night without having any accidents or injuries.

Some managers get ideas in their heads about a "unique & fun" way to spread the word about safety, but we all know what we're supposed to do! We all work in the parameters of the job and know what we can do and where our breaking points are. Dignity would be appreciated when it comes to safety. We're not all immature kids with our hands out for the next safety donut reward!

great post, safety and trying to put fedex out of business should be what this company should be focusing on., thanks for your input!

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I always thought the switch to automatics was because less and less mechanical manual transmission knowledge and ethic has been transposed over the years and has been phased out, more or less....could be wrong!

The switch to auto tranys is basically because of fuel economy and improved reliability of the automatic. Better MPGs has been a well advertised point by automotive mfgs since the advent of automatic tranmissions. Granted the MPGs are not that much better vs. a manual shift, but better IS better. All the other things mentioned here are just pluses to add to the attractiveness of auto Ts.
Oh, another thing. Someone mentioned that maintaining an Auto T was cheaper than a manual shifter. Not so, the manual tranny, baring any out of the ordinary event, will last years and years before needing to be overhauled. You'll be dang lucky to have an auto last more than three years, if that long. Clutches, release bearings are much less expensive to replace than torque converters and shift valves.

HazMatMan

Speaking of safety, how is this for irony:

A long time ago (in a galaxy far far away), our sort had the usual safety meeting during break time and gave out some recognition awards. One of the guys they were giving an award to stepped down from the small platform he was standing on, slipped on a pallet and busted his butt in front of the whole operation. He didn't get hurt, but it sure was funny... and ironic.
That's funny. Did he still accept the safety award??

tieguy

Banned
No thanks, I prefer to earn my money doing something that actually matters.

I don't know sober. Bet you would do a nice job sticking those stickers and would not say anything to any of the bosses:happy-very:

I think the poster is right though. You have so much venom your spraying about the safety committees that you probably should join and help put in the fixes.

Griff

Didn't you understand his post? He denounced my post because apparently mechanics have no idea what they are talking about! He claims a janitor knows as much about trucks as a mechanic does. I'm glad he's in management, we need bright minds like this propelling the company forward. :happy2:

Griff

your in a different arena , that response was directed to griff who is trying to deny the switch to automatics had anything to do with safety.

Even if safety did play a part, it wasn't a very big one and most certainly was an afterthought. This is UPS, a buck comes before safety every time. You know it and I know it, stop fooling yourself. When speaking with those 3 people I never once heard anything safety related, it's all about efficiency and saving money. Hey, I'll be the first one to admit that saving money is great for the company, just stop parading around town claiming it was all in the name of safety.

tieguy

Banned
Even if safety did play a part, it wasn't a very big one and most certainly was an afterthought. This is UPS, a buck comes before safety every time. You know it and I know it, stop fooling yourself. When speaking with those 3 people I never once heard anything safety related, it's all about efficiency and saving money. Hey, I'll be the first one to admit that saving money is great for the company, just stop parading around town claiming it was all in the name of safety.

notice griffs response. he states that even if he is wrong he thinks he was still right. Griff does not understand that the evil greedy company he despises but works for may actually have made safety improvements. This is very confusing and disruptive to his goon training and will require reprogramming down at the hall.

Griff

notice griffs response. he states that even if he is wrong he thinks he was still right. Griff does not understand that the evil greedy company he despises but works for may actually have made safety improvements. This is very confusing and disruptive to his goon training and will require reprogramming down at the hall.

Yes, please notice my response and take the time to actually read it with an unbiased mind which this person is incapable of doing.

tieguy

Banned
Didn't you understand his post? He denounced my post because apparently mechanics have no idea what they are talking about! He claims a janitor knows as much about trucks as a mechanic does. I'm glad he's in management, we need bright minds like this propelling the company forward. :happy2:

poor griff. He does not understand that the design of package cars does not necessarily filter down to the grass roots.

Hey griff using your example a mechanic and two IE guys told me you go home and have sex with billy goats. Guess that makes it the truth huh bud?:peaceful: