Pardon me while I go puke

Griff

poor griff. He does not understand that the design of package cars does not necessarily filter down to the grass roots.

Hey griff using your example a mechanic and two IE guys told me you go home and have sex with billy goats. Guess that makes it the truth huh bud?:peaceful:

It's more than you're bringing to the table at this point. Those 3 people know more about the issue than you do. Care to prove me wrong? Throw some hard numbers out here that you've been shown due to your high ranking status within the company. End the discussion right here and now, tell us all about how many injuries and accidents this move will reduce per year. Let me guess, classified information???

This guy is so biased and anti-union, he probably actually believes that the company would have put power-steering in new trucks without the contract demanding it. What a sad little man he is.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I don't know sober. Bet you would do a nice job sticking those stickers and would not say anything to any of the bosses:happy-very:

I think the poster is right though. You have so much venom your spraying about the safety committees that you probably should join and help put in the fixes.
I dont have any venom. I just feel compelled to call B.S. when I hear it.
Actually, I have nothing against any committee that invents acronyms, hands out cookies, grades papers and distributes stickers. I merely ask that we not refer to it as a "safety committee" and instead call it what it really is...a Keter Audit Committee.

tieguy

Banned
I dont have any venom. I just feel compelled to call B.S. when I hear it.
Actually, I have nothing against any committee that invents acronyms, hands out cookies, grades papers and distributes stickers. I merely ask that we not refer to it as a "safety committee" and instead call it what it really is...a Keter Audit Committee.

And while we are honest lets be honest with you. You have not ever had anything positive to say about anything at UPS. Ever see if the wife could get you a job with her since they do everything the right way?

soberups

And while we are honest lets be honest with you. You have not ever had anything positive to say about anything at UPS. Ever see if the wife could get you a job with her since they do everything the right way?
A rather ignorant statement from someone who has never spoken to me in person.
Funny thing is, I actually will be getting a job at my wife's company....in 8 1/2 years when I can retire at the age of 50 and my Teamster-negotiated PEER 80 pension kicks in. Its going to be a good pension. There, I just said something positive about UPS:happy-very:

tieguy

Banned
A rather ignorant statement from someone who has never spoken to me in person.
Funny thing is, I actually will be getting a job at my wife's company....in 8 1/2 years when I can retire at the age of 50 and my Teamster-negotiated PEER 80 pension kicks in. Its going to be a good pension. There, I just said something positive about UPS:happy-very:

I don't think its ignorant. I judge you by what you post here. You tell me you are the guy that does his job and has no problems. But everything you post here reeks of someone who is a loud crying complainer. You have definitely bought into the goon mindset and bash the company with every posted breath.

soberups

But everything you post here reeks of someone who is a loud crying complainer. You have definitely bought into the goon mindset and bash the company with every posted breath.
I dont complain about anything. I merely point out the instances where UPS's actions contradict its words. Such as safety. And service. Hey, its a great-paying job and I'm glad to have it, but I have this uncontrollable urge to call B.S. when a steaming pile of it is handed to me on a platter. All I ask of UPS is that management quit trying to insult my intelligence by handing me a turd and telling me its a rose.

tieguy

Banned
I dont complain about anything. I merely point out the instances where UPS's actions contradict its words. Such as safety. And service. Hey, its a great-paying job and I'm glad to have it, but I have this uncontrollable urge to call B.S. when a steaming pile of it is handed to me on a platter. All I ask of UPS is that management quit trying to insult my intelligence by handing me a turd and telling me its a rose.

thats my point apparently you think everything is a steaming pile of crap. And when you do for instance see something other then a steaming pile of crap you seem to ignore it or miss it. Good example the thirty dollaar seat belt upgrade. You sell that here like ups still has you driving horse and buggy when you have package cars now that have had many of the safety improvements drivers asked for. My point again you only talk about the crap you never talk about anything else. I'm tired of reading about your wifes hr company doing things the right way. Tell her to start a package handling service and then tell us how to run our safety programs.
the perspective you sell here is very anti company. you don't want to join any committees and fix anything no you just want to stand on the sideline and tell us how screwed up we are.

It shouldn't be our safety program that makes you puke but your perspective.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
There are some ugly truths, and some rose colored truths.

Truth #1.....One of the original reasons UPS began (and invited the union into the safety issue) safety committies is to relieve themselves of several huge Osha fines that were being leveled. Some of the issues were petty I am sure, but there were also many issues that needed fixed. After 28 years without any safety team or focus, I could tell a book full. Osha was needed in the USA, and especially at UPS, because they really did not think about many of the things they asked us to do.

Truth #2.....about the union forcing the company to start with automatics? Really. And you believe in santa and the tooth fairy as well. Get real. The auto deal was something UPS was getting ready to do anyway, and allowed the union to look tough and chauk up a win on a new and improved contract. Thats all.

Truth #3......Injuries on the job are very expensive for UPS. Next to wages, the highest cost, more than fuel etc. Any way to improve those numbers will improve the over all financial picture for UPS. Its that simple.

Truth #4.....Even though UPS makes changes at some centers to package cars to ease safety issues, the refuse to do so nation wide. It is more of a center or district thing vs a nation wide. Take hand rails on the outside. Pretty much standard in many places, but here they refuse to put them where the driver can reach them. For many drivers they are too high and in the wrong place to use. Three point seat belts are another issue that there should not be a discussion on.

Truth #5.....And speaking about 3 point restraints, If you really believe that the teamsters won automatics in the contract, then why not really win a serious issue and mandate retro fit 3 point seatbelts? Now that would really be something. But of course, that would not feather the Teamster wallet now would it?

Truth #6....Unless the company sells safety to the masses, it will be a lost cause. The harder they push, and the less the drivers feel involved, the less the idea will accomplish.

And lastly Truth #7.....Men and women that are professionals like to be treated as such. I and I am sure I speak for the rest of the UPS employees who are professionals, want to be recognised as such by our employers. Little preschool skits and games might seem like a good idea in your management meetings, but it is degrading for you to talk, act or treat us in such a manner. I would suggest talking to the whiteboard guy to give you some ideas......not some master preschool teachers aid.

So while I have issues with Sober and his method of posting this thread, many of his issues are real and serious, and should be treated that way.

Tie, unfortunately, your responses, while humorous, make light of and do not address the issues at all, something I find disturbing as it reflects what the hourly see coming from management at work and you here. And I know you better than that.

It is a shame that there can not be a way to network nation wide between safety committee members and other concerned drivers to begin to see some real changes at UPS. Changes that would actually put some teeth and credibility to the process, and not something that is run by, and for the company.

JMHO

d

farmerbrown

thats my point apparently you think everything is a steaming pile of crap. And when you do for instance see something other then a steaming pile of crap you seem to ignore it or miss it. Good example the thirty dollaar seat belt upgrade. You sell that here like ups still has you driving horse and buggy when you have package cars now that have had many of the safety improvements drivers asked for. My point again you only talk about the crap you never talk about anything else. I'm tired of reading about your wifes hr company doing things the right way. Tell her to start a package handling service and then tell us how to run our safety programs.
the perspective you sell here is very anti company. you don't want to join any committees and fix anything no you just want to stand on the sideline and tell us how screwed up we are.

Focus here ok Tie! The point is that somne things are broke at our great company beyond the point of fixing. Instead of just finding another way to ridiculously spout the company line, let's have some inspired leadership and fix this mess. Please grow some cajones and take the same responsibility for Management that you hold the employees to. I just know you can if you try.

Focus here ok Tie! The point is that somne things are broke at our great company beyond the point of fixing. Instead of just finding another way to ridiculously spout the company line, let's have some inspired leadership and fix this mess. Please grow some cajones and take the same responsibility for Management that you hold the employees to. I just know you can if you try.

It goes both ways, the employee has the same responsibilty. If you just bitch about it, like many do, you just add to the problem.

soberups

It goes both ways, the employee has the same responsibilty. If you just bitch about it, like many do, you just add to the problem.
I live up to my responsibility. I have 21 years without a lost-time injury. When it comes to safety I walk the walk. I merely ask that UPS do the same.

soberups

Truth #2.....about the union forcing the company to start with automatics? Really. And you believe in santa and the tooth fairy as well. Get real. The auto deal was something UPS was getting ready to do anyway, and allowed the union to look tough and chauk up a win on a new and improved contract. Thats all.
Your post was 99% correct. I need to point out, however, that the '97 contract required power steering, not automatics. You are correct in that the company was switching over anyway, but this was because it was no longer possible to buy a truck chassis with manual steering, not because they gave a damn about us.
I am glad the language is there though...or some IE bean counter would have the bright idea to remove the power steering belt in order to squeeze another 1000 mile out of the front tires.

soberups

My perspective isn't anti-company. It is pro safety. I do not believe that our "safety committee" does anything that actually makes our workplace safer, and I am expressing that opinion here. I have specific, equipment-related concerns which I have submitted to our "safety committee" in writing, but those concerns are ignored because they fall outside the realm of what our "safety commitee" feels it is responsible for.

tieguy

Banned

Farmer brown you also need to focus. What you have here is too much crying about what you don't have and not enough acknowledgment that UPS has in fact solicited driver input and made a lot of changes to those package cars.
If anyone needs to grow the cajones it would be the folks who stand on the sidelines and cry like little girls. You need to tell those folks to grow cajones and give us some inspired leadership.

tieguy

Banned
My perspective isn't anti-company. It is pro safety. I do not believe that our "safety committee" does anything that actually makes our workplace safer, and I am expressing that opinion here. I have specific, equipment-related concerns which I have submitted to our "safety committee" in writing, but those concerns are ignored because they fall outside the realm of what our "safety commitee" feels it is responsible for.

Sober all thats a bunch of talk. Its real easy either stand on the sidelines and lob grenades or get in the game and fix it. Looks to me like you're a grenade thrower.

soberups

Sober all thats a bunch of talk. Its real easy either stand on the sidelines and lob grenades or get in the game and fix it. Looks to me like you're a grenade thrower.
I will be more than happy to get in the game and fix it. All I need...is authorization from the appropriate manager, and I will personally order the necessary parts to retrofit all the older trucks with 3 point seat belts. Are you that manager, Tieguy? Will you sign your name on the dotted line? Or will we just keep passing the buck around some more?

Griff

I will be more than happy to get in the game and fix it. All I need...is authorization from the appropriate manager, and I will personally order the necessary parts to retrofit all the older trucks with 3 point seat belts. Are you that manager, Tieguy? Will you sign your name on the dotted line? Or will we just keep passing the buck around some more?

No he won't sign anything. He will do what he normally does, deflect the blame and spotlight on the hourly and crawl back into his office. Once you really put him on the hot seat, like I do regularly, he will refuse to respond any longer. I'm still waiting for him to put an end to all my useless anti-company propaganda about automatic transmissions. I'll be waiting until the day that I die just like most issues that I've brought to the forefront only to have him redirect the spotlight like the coward he is. He is my personal whipping boy on this site and the only difference in real life would be that he'd have a tough time explaining to the division manager why a uneducated, thief, liar, lazy driver gets the best of him all the time.

New Englander

Griff...care to reply if you have filed a grievance against your Steward? Have you asked he no longer be the Steward for not following the contract you so openly defend here?

Or is there some excuse as to why you have not?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Your post was 99% correct. I need to point out, however, that the '97 contract required power steering, not automatics. You are correct in that the company was switching over anyway, but this was because it was no longer possible to buy a truck chassis with manual steering, not because they gave a damn about us.
I am glad the language is there though...or some IE bean counter would have the bright idea to remove the power steering belt in order to squeeze another 1000 mile out of the front tires.

Problem with the union putting it into the contract and claiming it as a won concession from UPS is that it is totally dishonest. And the poor schmucks that believe the union actually did something to get that into the contract are dreaming. What they actually did was got that into the contract because UPS could not even buy cars without power steering anymore.

So I wonder what they gave up in the negotiations to to "force" UPS to get power steering in the contract?

As for removing the power steering belts to save tires, I think if you will check with your mechanic, there should not be much influence one way or the other.

Might I make a suggestion? If you really want to make UPS face this issue head on, get involved in the committee. Then if the center does not fix the problem after it has been on the "list" of unsafe areas that need to be addressed, file the paperwork. Keep filing until something happens. And if the union does not want to actively go after UPS, then there are other options when the proper chanels no longer work.

I think you might be suprised at what you could do if you channel your energy into pushing UPS for a solution, instead of wasting it on the forum and some of the other posters. It might not happen all at once, but you will make a change, I promise. And if you want, I will help as I can.

d