Part time blues

M

Mike hunt

I have been with this company for six years. Most peak seasons have been very rewarding until this peak season. The so call union board we have, have said that they are looking out for us part timers and hype us up about full time opportunities coming soon. It's bull:censored2:, Tim and his board lied to us. I'm saying this because I'm here wanting to get more hours and willing to work this day shift that UPS has created in our nassau hub. There are other guys in my building who wanted to have extra hours and all of it was robbed by all these seasonal workers. What the friend$&k is going on Tim, why does it feel like im getting cheated out of a good peak season pay. My guys and I are angry and you lost alot of votes from us.
Do you bid on package car driving jobs? What's the wait for a full time package car job in your area?

804 member

A couple of years but some part timers keep getting sent back one day shy of making book but asked to come back a month or so later

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
My shift is only 4 hours soo yeah 6-9 is perfect for me. We are part timers, some of us go to school, some of us work other jobs that pay less and we would love work those 6 to 9 extra hours. Those extra hours helps out a lot. You are here making it look like we not getting paid for those extra hours. I did two doubles this peak and its all because the opportunities were taken from us from these seasonal workers. They aren't union, they are there for the month of December and then they are gone. What about us part timers, we want more opportunities, we want more hours, and we are sick and tired of getting constantly screwed over
What job is only 4 hours during peak?
My loader was working 7 to 10 hours a day in December.

M

Mike hunt

A couple of years but some part timers keep getting sent back one day shy of making book but asked to come back a month or so later
That's such a grey area. I definitely think it needs to be addressed in the next contract.

Coalminer2005

Don't let being part time ruin your happiness. Took me 9 years to get on full time. In the mean time, I worked another full time job, graduated from college and served in the military. I returned from combat in Iraq in 2006 to a full time job with the company. You've got the golden ticket and your time will come. Don't put all your cards in the company or the union. Rely on yourself.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
They also might not be using because of seniority issues. Driver helper they should be using you but they get pissed if you don't go everyday. You might be too far down the list on double shifter. They don't have to take everyone and if there are higher ups on the list their going to use them before you. So I don't know how far your down the list.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
What job is only 4 hours during peak?
My loader was working 7 to 10 hours a day in December.
With a preload, day, twlight, and midnight sort, there's no way you can get 7+ without working two sorts here. This year they hired so many seasonals there weren't many chances to double. In fact they were asking from top down seniority if people wanted to go home most days. In the past they've kept most seasonal hires on permanent after peak, I don't see that happening this year.

PT Car Washer

Today (Saturday) the hub had sups loading. When I asked about it the hub manager said "we exhausted the entire double shift list. Do you want to jump in?"

UPSGUY72

I have been with this company for six years. Most peak seasons have been very rewarding until this peak season. The so call union board we have, have said that they are looking out for us part timers and hype us up about full time opportunities coming soon. It's bull:censored2:, Tim and his board lied to us. I'm saying this because I'm here wanting to get more hours and willing to work this day shift that UPS has created in our nassau hub. There are other guys in my building who wanted to have extra hours and all of it was robbed by all these seasonal workers. What the friend$&k is going on Tim, why does it feel like im getting cheated out of a good peak season pay. My guys and I are angry and you lost alot of votes from us.

Your not entitled to work the day shift you have your shift your working on right know. If this is a peak only shift or a brand new permanent shift UPS can use seasonal or hire more PT to cover that shift. The only time your may be entitled to work another shift if they are short people on that shift and your name is on the double shift list.

Dragon

Package Center Manager

Creating a day shift is not extra work that is why you could not work it. UPS hired people to work this day shift. If they needed "extra" people to work this day shift for what ever reason then they could ask people to double shift. If all the full time positions are filled in the building and by contract, UPS does not have to create anymore.

jrh

get in touch with your BA and union hall and start asking management for their seasonal staffing numbers. I don't know the procedure for getting those records but there has to be a way, and someone somewhere must be auditing those numbers. Get the facts and you'll see whether they're within their rights or if they're hiring too many seasonals.

PT Car Washer

get in touch with your BA and union hall and start asking management for their seasonal staffing numbers. I don't know the procedure for getting those records but there has to be a way, and someone somewhere must be auditing those numbers. Get the facts and you'll see whether they're within their rights or if they're hiring too many seasonals.
I don't believe my building hired any seasonal PT package handlers this Peak. Not all the Peak new hires stayed but we all know about the PT turn over rate. New hire tours going through the building every week since January 1st.