Part time pay increase in the 2018 contract?

Could not imagine if PTers were making the same as drivers we would be swamped with applications. UPS is to stupid to do that tho, we could afford the best employees and not the crap we settle with.
When I started Preloaders made $.50/hr less then drivers. And the work was much easier for both drivers and PT package car drivers. 50 lb. weight limit and very few irregs.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Why would those part timers get involved? There is no motivation to. Over here, part time starting wage is lower than minimum wage. UPS has slowly degraded part time work into a crappy job that only hurts union involvement.

Or don't get involved. No chance for improvement. Their choice. Be heard or quit bitching.

Staydryitsraining

Long term part time employees should get a good bump in wages.

New hires generally last months, not years. Why should long term employees take contract concessions for essentially temporary employees who have nothing invested in their career here?

If UPS needs to bump up the starting wage to attract enough workers, let them. But it should cost nearly nothing in concessions.

A temporary PVD classification should cost UPS a concession of controlling peak hours. They will say they need seasonal PVD because we can not handle peak volume, and need it to control excessive overtime during peak. Fine...Then make all overtime in excess of 10 hours a day strictly voluntary year round.

If PVD is the solution for peak serge, then it is also the solution for peak serge excessive overtime!

Also PVD should cost...No forced 6th punches or forced holidays nationally.

They want PVD, then there should be a cost. We gave them SurePost free and look how large it has become.
We cant handle peak volume because they wont hire everyone who wants to work. They have a cut off number and once reached its hey well this is what we got make it work

MynameisNeigan

ive been a part time package handler in small sort at the cache facility for almost two years. My starting pay rate when I was hired 2/08/16 was $10.10/hr. When I hit my year I only got a 40 cent raise, will I only get another 40 cents when I hit my two years? Also with rumors of part time pay going up to $15/hr in the 2018 contract will that include the raises I've earned so far? Thank you in advance
Y’all got it good now, I started at $8.50. My first check was under $100.

the FTers are going to sell you out, like usual, and you'll get peanuts

Based on the crazy hours you work and the volume you have to process it makes no sense to get paid so little and only 3.5 hours if you’re lucky... The more I do the math it makes no sense to be a loader. The crap you have to deal with and you make around $168 a week???

You aren't wrong... but you need to look at why. In my hub, 80% of the pt'ers have under a years seniority. On top of that, the union (at least our local) makes absolutely no effort to engage new and/or part time employees. They've never met their stewards, never gotten a contract book, and, honestly, most don't even know what local they belong to. How can we blame them for not engaging in a vote when they have no idea what is going on... much less what is at stake? Add to that that most of them have no plans to stick around because the culture, environment, and the job sucks... I completely understand it.

You got it spot on we are treated like dirt work our asses off and make absolutely nothing! If you you kill yourself and do a good job you are rewarded by going home early and making even less...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
When your supervisor tells everyone you must punch out in the unload when finished it’s actually on them...
....no....it's on you.....when they tell you to go home (politely) tell them that you would like your daily guarantee.....pretty sure they will find something for you to do...
As much as it kills me to agree with him Dave is right... you are guaranteed that 3.5 hours...demand it!

john chesney

ive been a part time package handler in small sort at the cache facility for almost two years. My starting pay rate when I was hired 2/08/16 was $10.10/hr. When I hit my year I only got a 40 cent raise, will I only get another 40 cents when I hit my two years? Also with rumors of part time pay going up to $15/hr in the 2018 contract will that include the raises I've earned so far? Thank you in advance
I think at the end of the next contract you should be up to minimum wage

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Then you have no idea what it like to work in a Hub with hundreds of PT hourlies and Art 22.3 and Red Circle PT and FT employees. With new PT earning $10/hr working next to an Art 22.3 making what they make working next to a Red Circle PT making more then everyone else and taking the easier jobs.
When I work over 10 on Sunday sorts, it's making over 6x more than the part-timer next to me. $76/hr versus $11-12, unless they hit over 5 and OT for them, then it's more like 4-5x. Thank the union.

UPS Preloader

I was in the locker room the other and there were three PTers up there discussing this very thing. None of them knew about the 3.5/17.5 guarantees.

Here in New England, if they work their 3.5 hour guarantee, UPS pays in 4 hours of benefits, but if they give up their guarantee, UPS only pays in benefits for the hours worked.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Here in New England, if they work their 3.5 hour guarantee, UPS pays in 4 hours of benefits, but if they give up their guarantee, UPS only pays in benefits for the hours worked.
Why isn’t it 4 hour guaranteed... when I was pt. I always received 4, 5 or 6 hours depending on the time of year....it’s a joke

Yolo

I highly doubt the contracted staring pay will be raised to $15. Probably more like $12. $12.50 if we get lucky. I think it should be $15 but I don't see it happening.