PART TIME PM AIR DRIVER

NinoBROWN7

Mr.brown
I won a PM air driver route...Any PM drivers give me the details on the job hows the pay? Was thinking about about tryna go full time instead...

opie

I won a PM air driver route...Any PM drivers give me the details on the job hows the pay? Was thinking about about tryna go full time instead...
Top rate is over $32/hr right now for an air driver. If you never were a air driver (Saturday air, EAMs etc) then you have to go through a 4 year progression. I'm not sure if the MRA raises apply to air drivers, otherwise you'll have to start at $15/hr. PM air driving is one of the easiest PT jobs at UPS. It is a great way to get experience as a driver without all the pressure and workload. Also you may have a opportunity to be an "air shuttle" to the airport, and also likely you will have days where they need you to come early (late air, driver help), so you can get extra hours. Any ground work performed, you get RPCD pay for all hours for that day.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

PM air driving is one of the easiest PT jobs at UPS. It is a great way to get experience as a driver without all the pressure and workload.
100% correct----you will become proficient on the DIAD and will gain area knowledge.
Any ground work performed, you get RPCD pay for all hours for that day.
If you are asked to do any ground work make sure that you follow up to make sure that you are paid correctly for that time.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Being an Air Driver is the best way to find out if you really want to go FT.
I was like you, twice I bid on FT routes only to find out they weren't for me.
When Air Exception Driver ( AM ) positions first started, nobody wanted them.
I decided to give it try.
First time I had a job where I was paid to go out and get lost.

NinoBROWN7

Mr.brown
Thank u fellas I'm just coming off a seasonal gig. This Saturday is my last day,i was doing 230 stops daily thats why im thinking of giving the full time thing a shot, they asked if I was interested. But for now I think imma give the PM route a shot .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thank u fellas I'm just coming off a seasonal gig. This Saturday is my last day,i was doing 230 stops daily thats why im thinking of giving the full time thing a shot, they asked if I was interested. But for now I think imma give the PM route a shot .
Your first post gave me the impression that you were an inside PTer. You should have taken the FT bid-----you are going to be extremely bored doing the PM air driver job which is a step backward.

NinoBROWN7

Mr.brown
Your first post gave me the impression that you were an inside PTer. You should have taken the FT bid-----you are going to be extremely bored doing the PM air driver job which is a step backward.
Anything beats working back inside I did 5 years in there. But yes there might be a chance for me to still say yes. The seasonal gig is ending for everyone saturday.

rod

Retired 22 years
Anything beats working back inside I did 5 years in there. But yes there might be a chance for me to still say yes. The seasonal gig is ending for everyone saturday.
WHAT? You mean they aren't keeping everyone on like they hinted when the hired them?

Overpaid Union Thug

I would take the PM air route if you have enough seniority then go full-time as soon as it’s available. In my building the PM Air route is one of the best part-time gigs we have. Some PM air drivers stick strictly to that job. Others will come in early and help out with ground if it’s available. Especially during peak when they will put as much groundwork in front of the pickups as they can. You could always refuse that and stick to the pick ups.

I would take the PM air route if you have enough seniority then go full-time as soon as it’s available. In my building the PM Air route is one of the best part-time gigs we have. Some PM air drivers stick strictly to that job. Others will come in early and help out with ground if it’s available. Especially during peak when they will put as much groundwork in front of the pickups as they can. You could always refuse that and stick to the pick ups.
Some air drivers with high seniority can turn the job into a FT income. $60k to $80k a year. No guarantees except 3 hours a day so don't go and buy that new truck. $32/hr top rate is pretty good but it takes 4 years to get there at under $20/hr. Could be over $35/hr after the next contract.

Can you point out where in the contract it states that?
Article 40. Actually we used to get it for the day but somehow it was negotiated down to hours worked if under 4 hours. Like today I just cruised around running misloads and LIB's for 3 hours after running air. I just left it at air rate since I would be at OT working car wash. $57/hr. And since they screw up pay all the time anyway, Last time it took a month to get driver pay but I also was running a route that day and deserved top Dollar. You have to pick and choose your battles.

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
What are air exception drivers considered in your buildings? Are am air drivers part of preload and pm drivers part of twilight? Are ALL partimers drivers or not lumped together? What happens in the event of a layoff or accident? Or no longer wanting to drive? Can they go back?

542thruNthru

What are air exception drivers considered in your buildings? Are am air drivers part of preload and pm drivers part of twilight? Are ALL partimers drivers or not lumped together? What happens in the event of a layoff or accident? Or no longer wanting to drive? Can they go back?
Exception air drivers are part timers that are qualified to drive. They are used on a exception basis and by company seniority. Preload or twilight can come in and drive by seniority. We have a few twilight air drivers that used to come into the preload and stand around waiting to use their seniority to drive.

I don't know what you mean by can they go back.

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
So are exception air drivers different from bid air drivers and early air drivers? My question is if you win a pm air driving bid and 10 years down the road you no longer want to drive. Can you go back into the building and work twilight again?

So are exception air drivers different from bid air drivers and early air drivers? My question is if you win a pm air driving bid and 10 years down the road you no longer want to drive. Can you go back into the building and work twilight again?
Bid air drivers have a regular start time and a regular route they drive while air exception drivers only work when needed and can be sent anywhere with no daily minimum hours other then your normal PT job. Yes you can bid off of air driving and only work inside the building. But unless you have a whole lot if seniority it will most likely be a cut in pay.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

You’ve sucked the part time teet long enough time to go fulltime or
Move on

Brown Wing

Sandbagger
Nobody in their right mind would want to go back inside after being an air driver.