Part-Time Soup question????

dezzy

My hubby has been at UPS for 2 years for part time night unload and decided to go for part time supervisor and got it. he has to negoiate his salary, what can he expect to make an hour?

(yes he's completely full of himself, yes he's a prick too... small etc.. etc..)

what should he ask for?
Dezzy

tieguy

Banned
depends on your part of the world. Each area is designated a specific number loosely dependent on the cost of living. Have him ask the other part time sups what the starting wage rate would be.

trickpony1

depends on your part of the world. Each area is designated a specific number loosely dependent on the cost of living. Have him ask the other part time sups what the starting wage rate would be.

Gosh Tie, I thought it was a BIG secret what other management folks were making and it was grounds for termination to divulge such info.
Based on the comment "....he's full of himself, yes, he's a prick too...." I think he should ask for a $250,000 home, a Lexus SUV, 200,000 shares of stock and $80,000 a year. He should fit right in.

HazMatMan

Gosh Tie, I thought it was a BIG secret what other management folks were making and it was grounds for termination to divulge such info.
Based on the comment "....he's full of himself, yes, he's a prick too...." I think he should ask for a $250,000 home, a Lexus SUV, 200,000 shares of stock and $80,000 a year. He should fit right in.

Aren't you selling him short, Trick?? He deserves way more than that. I've had sups just like him come in and think they were going to change the world with their ideas and ways of doing things, (let's see, off the top of my head, one guy asked for a transfer, 2 guys quit, and so on and so on) He's in for a big fall, just wish I was there to see it....

HazMatMan

In the big city of New York, part-time sups probably make 1200 to 1500 dollars a month (that's gross folks, on both counts) that of course was inside info given to me by you guessed it, a part-time sup..

trickpony1

Does anyone see anything wrong with a management candidate "negotiating" his/her salary?
Is the company hoping the candidate will "lowball" his/her self below what the company is willing to pay?
Should a candidate "highball" his bid and let the company come down from that figure?
Why is there not a standard starting salary for the respective management candidates and merit raises are awarded from there?

Kinda makes ya wonder..........

HazMatMan

My hubby has been at UPS for 2 years for part time night unload and decided to go for part time supervisor and got it. he has to negoiate his salary, what can he expect to make an hour?

(yes he's completely full of himself, yes he's a prick too... small etc.. etc..)

what should he ask for?
Dezzy

2 years?? Makes 10.50 an hour X 25 or 30 hours a week (if he's lucky) going into part-time management, that's roughly 1200 gross a month as a part time worker (on the high end) he'll be lucky if he gets 1500 to 1750 a month....

W

westsideworma

2 years?? Makes 10.50 an hour X 25 or 30 hours a week (if he's lucky) going into part-time management, that's roughly 1200 gross a month as a part time worker (on the high end) he'll be lucky if he gets 1500 to 1750 a month....

in our area it ranges from 1400-1800 a month to start (so similar to yours hazmat man).

Dare I say it, I am thinking of it as well as I am back at school and can't keep a second job (well the one I have now anyway). I don't plan on staying at UPS too much longer after I finish my other degree anyway so I thought it might be the way to go. Believe me I am very cautious about it, I haven't made my mind yet but it seems to be the easiest choice out of all scenarios, I'll get more money for school and more money in general all from one place. This really comes into play now that they are talking of cutting hours again.

I know they really want to have someone who actually works there move up instead of the off the street hires...makes you wonder why no one wants it...unless you've read the horror stories I've seen on here and the other UPS board which really have me on the fence. Not to mention some of our own supes' stories. Our management are good people (no really) following subpar plans basically. I know most of them and respect (but don't trust) them.

On the hourly options, I am high enough on the 6-1 list but to be honest I wouldn't be able to pull off driving AND college (well a traditional college). I am considering saturday air driving though.

sorry to hijack your thread dezzy :blushing:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Westsideworma made a lot of good points. You get a raise, more tuition reimbursement, more of a mental challenge, and it also looks good on a job resume. The downside is you will be blamed for anything that goes wrong and will have a long wait if you want to become Full Time. I used to think about it myself, but convinced myself it just isn't worth it, especially the way things are run now.

tieguy

Banned
Does anyone see anything wrong with a management candidate "negotiating" his/her salary?

nope.

Is the company hoping the candidate will "lowball" his/her self below what the company is willing to pay?

company has a standard formula they work off of depending on the area, present income etc. There is usually a set figure offered at which point the applicant can ask for more if they feel they need to.

Should a candidate "highball" his bid and let the company come down from that figure?

Its a salary within a narrow range of what is available. Its not high stakes poker.

Why is there not a standard starting salary for the respective management candidates and merit raises are awarded from there?

There is and there are. And we do.

Kinda makes ya wonder..........

yea makes me wonder why you run your mouth so much on a subject you know nothing about. But then you did claim feeder drivers don't have to parallel park to qualify for their license.

trickpony1

Tieguy-
Bless your heart!

If you'll notice, all of my statements in my post were in the form of a question which might indicate that I don't know.....that's why I asked.

Once again you had to have the last word, a trend so engrained in you and yours. You could have had a decent post and stopped just before the final paragraph in which you claim that I don't know what I'm talking about and then further embellish your arrogance by injecting an unrelated fact about parallel parking during feeder school.

Our only hope is the ivory towers in Atlanta recognize your extensive efforts at being the staunch defender of all that is good, righteous and corporate and import you on special assignment. I'm sure they will be impressed.

Congratulations!

dezzy

still don't know what he's going to be making... i'll keep you all posted... thanks everyone... please no fighting over me...:wink:

Well, I was a part-time preload sup from 86-95. It is a great experience and you learn alot. But, things are different today. More focus on production and less on quality. Heads roll no matter what you do. So, get the experience and move on. I can't remember what I made then, but I will give you a thought on what I would want now. Part-timers make roughly 10 an hour on average. Part-time sups supposed to work 5 hours I think. I would ask for $20/hour to base your salary. So, I would say no less than $2000/month. I may be low on this.

good2me

Thought I'd just jump in on this one....yes, its my first post. I've been watching the message boards for a long time, but hadn't contributed a thought or perhaps another viewpoint until now.

First things first...Tieguy is right...the salary administration within our management ranks does not include negotiation. We have a clearly defined process for determining starting salaries of our management personnel. Nothing really secretive here, but in order to ensure consistency, there must be a very formal process for salary management.

Not sure if this adds clarity to the original post or if it just throws more confusion into the game.....

canon

Well, I was a part-time preload sup from 86-95.
Out of curiosity, is that a normal length of time to remain part time? I support anyone wishing to go into mgmt, no hard feelings on my part. But one of the biggest issues I've always heard from the sups is the ability to go full-time, even after completing a degree.

Some eventually take a driver job, some quit, some just continue to hang in there hoping for the best. I can think of 3 that made it into full-time, but i'm sure it's higher than that. I know they were all there FOREVER before they made it in. It's one of the worst jobs out there too imo, taking crap from smartmouth kids who don't plan on staying at ups anyway, know the turnover rate is high enough to allow them to do almost whatever, and that the union will back them top of everything. As if that weren't enough, the sups have to put up with mgmt too. I saw one female sup reduced to tears right on the belt in front of everyone. She ended up quitting that day.

I've had mgmt tell me that if you plan on going into mgmt, the way to do it is go into driving for a couple years, THEN put in your letter of intent.

tieguy

Banned
Tieguy-
Bless your heart!

If you'll notice, all of my statements in my post were in the form of a question which might indicate that I don't know.....that's why I asked.

Once again you had to have the last word, a trend so engrained in you and yours. You could have had a decent post and stopped just before the final paragraph in which you claim that I don't know what I'm talking about and then further embellish your arrogance by injecting an unrelated fact about parallel parking during feeder school.

Our only hope is the ivory towers in Atlanta recognize your extensive efforts at being the staunch defender of all that is good, righteous and corporate and import you on special assignment. I'm sure they will be impressed.

Congratulations!

No need my friend this is a freebie. Is the union paying you to make everyone feel miserable?:thumbup1: