Part-Time Sup or Keep Loading?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Driver positions are filled using a ratio of inside/outside hires. The ratio where I am from is 6:1, which means they have to promote 6 insiders before they can promote/hire and outsider. PT sups would be considered an outsider. If your goal is to become a driver your best bet would be to stay in the hub and let seniority take care of itself.

KidUPS

I would say to definitely apply for the PT position. But it truly depends on what you feel capable of. The PT Supervisor to driver route is I'm sure the harder route but the contacts, options and opportunities garnered from PT supervision can be priceless. As Upstate said, you can stay in the hub and let seniority take care of itself..which will take about 6 to 12 years of working in the hub as a package handler. Lets say it takes an extra year to become a driver as a supervisor. In that amount of time, however, you will have gotten certified supervision training, health and safety certifications, leadership training, a growth of business connects from division managers to FT supervisors (one might be running a center in the future and he might remember you talking about becoming a driver..bingo bango.)

Each has it's pros and cons. Just depends on the type of person you are. You can let time take its course or you can try and be more proactive about it. It actually works both ways as I have seen package handlers make tons of business connects just letting it be known that they want to be a driver and talking to managers and center manager as much as possible to get their name out there. And I've seen PT supervisors who want to become drivers not take advantage of some of the opportunities granted to them as management employees of UPS.