Part Time Supervisor Questions

Hello,

I have been working at UPS for almost 4 months now, I am 20 years old and I am still going to school. Today my supervisor asked me if I am interested in becoming a part time supervisor. I am new here and want to hear all of your opinions. They told me that there is more of a growing opportunity for a career if I become a supervisor than if I stay loading, and this is what I don't understand. Im new and I don't know much, but it seems to me like the only way to go if i stay working at the hub is to become a driver, and honestly I don't want to be a driver for the rest of my life. Can you guys tell me some other ways I would be able to grow within the company? Is there something I can do after driving? Or is there a different direction I can go in?

My plan, or what I was thinking, was to become a part time supervisor and keep going to school for my engineering degree. But a lot of the posts here make it seem like becoming a part time supervisor is a terrible choice. I have seen 2 part time supervisors become full time since I have been working here, and it doesn't seem like a bad idea to me. But thats why I came here, and that's why I am asking you guys.

Thank you in advance! :happy2:

MethodsMan

Any kind of management job within UPS sounds like an awful idea to me. Too many things out of your control and too many hours.

Stay union.

browntroll

if you truly plan on leaving the company for an engineering job then do it, the pay raise might help with your school stuff.
now if you are asking about UPS as a career choice/long term stay union, and maybe think about why you are really going to school.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

To the OP-----stay in school and pursue the promotion. UPS supervisor will look very good on your resume.

There is a reason that they asked you, with only 4 months experience, if you were interested in becoming a PT sup.

All of you are telling me not do it, but none of you have answered one of my main questions :/

If I stay with the Union, how does it work for me to get a good career at UPS? And not a career as a driver. Can anyones please explain that to me? Im just trying to learn here and all of you guys treat me like an ass.

browntroll

All of you are telling me not do it, but none of you have answered one of my main questions :/

If I stay with the Union, how does it work for me to get a good career at UPS? And not a career as a driver. Can anyones please explain that to me? Im just trying to learn here and all of you guys treat me like an ass.
no wonder they want you as a pt sup it looks like yo fit right in with that attitude.
i can really draw a map/chart for you since im still pt and dont know. but im gonna take a guess.
pt sup>full time sup/lead> manager of some sort or so i assume since i dont see many sups promoted.
now for union
pter>air driver>cover driver>full time driver or you can skip the driver part and try/pray to get full time inside hub or combo job.
maybe ppl here can fix my little chart for me since i really dont know or care how the "promotion/career" thing works at UPS.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Try posting in the Partners forum if you want serious answers.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll

I think someone has already answered your question for you. But you're either delusional or in denial to accept what you don't want to hear. It's very hard to go anywhere as a pt supervisor, especially as quick as you think you can just get promoted out of the blue in just 4 to 6 yrs and land a ft job.

I think someone has already answered your question for you. But you're either delusional or in denial to accept what you don't want to hear. It's very hard to go anywhere as a pt supervisor, especially as quick as you think you can just get promoted out of the blue in just 4 to 6 yrs and land a ft job.

Are you a driver?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Fenando20. Things have changed since I wa a pt sup, 86-92. But if you are only going to stay long enough to get your degree, keep that as your goal. Once you get it apply to get into your field ft at ups, and if you get no reply, scoot your resumes out to other places. Don't let it get cold. It will always look good on your resume. Dont let them keep you hanging with promises, of a year down the road etc. Management changes like underwear, and you may get one to drag you along the ladder to the "top", or you may get one who keeps you in his harem, to make his life easier. Either way, as time goes on your degree gets old. Dont get old at UPS waiting.