Part timer worked in 2 locations 2 regional contracts, how to collect pension?

dyev

1993-2001 Mesquite hub/Plano center part time air driver. Teamster local 767 member, Texas. I believe the contract there was Central States, Southern Region.

Transferred with UPS in 2001 to part time in Spokane, WA hub covered under the jurisdiction of JC28. Left UPS in 2003.

Total 10 years continuous part time employment with UPS.

Now the western conference is telling me I have no pension from the years in Spokane because I wasn't vested for five years. I was vested for 7 years when I got there.

First question: With a total of 10 continuous years as a part time UPS employee, what is the earliest age I can draw the pension?

Second question: Can they really screw me out of 3 years of pension in the western conference because it's a different regional contract? Reciprocity? Dues paying union member the entire time.

Third question: Where do I get a complete detailed report of all the hours I worked each year at UPS?

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
1993-2001 Mesquite hub/Plano center part time air driver. Teamster local 767 member, Texas. I believe the contract there was Central States, Southern Region.

Transferred with UPS in 2001 to part time in Spokane, WA hub covered under the jurisdiction of JC28. Left UPS in 2003.

Now the western conference is telling me I have no pension from the years in Spokane because I wasn't vested for five years. I was vested for 7 years when I got there.

First question: With a total of 10 continuous years as a part time employee, at what is the earliest age I can draw the pension?

Second question: Can they really screw me out of 3 years of pension in the western conference because it's a different regional contract? Reciprocity? Dues paying union member the entire time.

Third question: Where do I get a complete detailed report of all the hours I worked each year at UPS?

Thanks guys.
Here's a thought call one or both of the locals you worked in

It's really not that difficult

First question: With a total of 10 continuous years as a part time UPS employee, what is the earliest age I can draw the pension?

Thanks guys.
Did you transfer or was you considered a new hire?

dyev

Contacted the Teamsters in WA, their answer was "Idunno Idunno".

They're the ones telling me my pension is -3 years. Because reasons.

rod

Retired 22 years
Off hand I would say you may be screwed but it would be best to call the locals and get it from the horses mouth. As hurting as most pensions are I'm almost positive they will fight you on it. The earliest age would probably be 62 or 65 but again---that is just a guess.

Off hand I would say you may be screwed but it would be best to call the locals and get it from the horses mouth. As hurting as most pensions are I'm almost positive they will fight you on it. The earliest age would probably be 62 or 65 but again---that is just a guess.
I can't collect my part time pension till 65

Transfer

I transferred under the provision that allowed part timers to transfer for educational purposes. I left Texas on a Friday and Started working in Spokane on Monday. Kept all UPS accrued benefits for 7 years seniority.
The only other thing that I can think of is

Is the pension from the union or the company
At least here UPS controls the part time pension

dyev

How hard are you willing to fight for a couple hundred bucks a month.

I'm looking to fight smart. A couple hundred a month adds up into a nice supply of kitty treats.

Plus I blew my knee out working for those people. Now that I'm older it's an issue. I'm not ready to give up by any means.

They know where the fine print is, I don't. Not to mention all of the contract changes since then.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
@dyev : with your years in TX, you are probably vested in the company's plan and eligible to collect at your normal retirement age (I believe that's set by Social Security). Write to: UPS Pension Plan/Retirement Dept 55 Glenlake Pkwy Atlanta GA 30328 for info. When you went to WA, you had to start from scratch in the Western Conference Teamsters Pension Fund; and apparently you never reached vested status. You are out of luck there. I hope you got a work comp settlement for the knee injury.