part timers work harder than drivers so why arent they paid more than drivers?

U

upsmule

Title belongs under the thread..."heard any good ones lately" c'mon!

S

suprino

Saintteamo, what kind of medication is your doctor giving you?

J

johnkyblue

see their responses? we are of a lower class that deserves only to be spit upon.

Really, it isn't about how hard you work but how much responsibility you have. Drivers have a lot of responsibility, a truck, all the boxes in it, the company's image, etc.

Hard work should count for more though.

U

upslocal480

It all depends on where you work really. Some drivers have it made and others have it rough. A typical part-time loader or unloader in a hub works harder than the typical driver but thats only for 3.5 to 5 hours a shift. A typical full-time driver works 8-10 hours a day. Some of the routes are easier than others but over all a typical driver works harder. The ones that have the most time in typically have it made though. I dont work in a hub and the flow is very very low so its very rare for anyone on my shift to even have to work hard at all. When I worked in a hub some of the drivers and cover drivers I knew told me that delivering packages was harder on them than when they loaded trailers or unloaded but only cause it would be for 8-10 hours a day. They also said it depends on the rout you are on and some other things. From what I've seen working in a hub and in the center I'm at now it seems that hub part-timers do work harder but only for those short hours. It seems that in small centers like mine though the drivers work the hardest.

O

over9five

You're right. They work MUCH harder than us drivers. Why in the world they work soooo hard for sooooo little Ill never understand.....

Wait a minute... If they ARE working too hard for too little, Why DO they stay? Its only a part time job. Why not just quit and get a part time job somewhere else? Part time work is easy to find.

U

upslocal480

Its easy for you drivers and other full-timers to tell part-timers to go elsewhere because you are sitting pretty right now, but what other part-time jobs, besides other package company's, pays the same as UPS? If a part-timer goes to another place such as Fed Ex, Fed Ex Ground,etc. its just gonna be the same at those places. So where else? I've worked at two hubs including Fed Ex and a center now so I at least have some credibility to what I'm saying here and in my last post. From what I've seen and from what I've heard from friends and relatives that work in other locations (drivers and part-timers), part-timers in heavy volume hubs do actually work harder but its only for a short period of time. My friends that drive out of the hub all say that when they were part-time they had a harder time loading trailers but it was only for an average for 4.5 hours per night so when they compared that to driving they said their routes were USUALLY more strenuous simply because it was usually a 9.5 hour day of running and shifting gears non stop. A couple of guys said there is no way they'd load trucks for 9.5 hours a day even if it was for the same pay as drivers make. At my center there is NO comparison between working part-time and driving. The only strenuous job in our building is the poor guy that has to unload the trailers on preload every morning. LOL. But you all have to admit that in the big hubs there are plenty of loaders working there asses off getting buried under packages. I guess what Santteamo was trying to do was make a comparison such as when comparing a feather weight boxer to a heavy weight....Pound for Pound. Or in this case....Hour for Hour a part-timer in some hubs works harder or almost as hard as a driver.

P

proups

upslocal480: I agree in part with your observations. I've done both jobs, so I feel qualified to comment.

You are right that PT loaders/unloaders/sorters keep up a very fast pace for about 4 hours a day. Those that don't either work in the smalls sort, incompatibles, or they need to leave!

As for the driving job, that work is unsupervised, so it is a little different. No, I would not want to load/unload over 9 hours per day, but the driving job is by no means easy. The time allowances are tough. If you want to make it back to the building you really have to move from stop to stop. Try carrying 10-15 seventy-pound packages 20-30 feet from a dock to your package car stop after stop. Even with carts, etc...we have to pick them all up. To sum it up, you don't see many package car drivers that are out of shape.

No job at UPS is easy.

A

archibald

SOMEONE PUT HIM IN A TRUCK WITH A 10 HR DISPATCH FOR 5 DAYS IN THE SOUTH WITH HEAT INDEX'S OF 105. I LOADED 8 YEARS AND HAVE DRIVEN FOR 10, I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT, I HAVE BEEN RUNNING PEAK VOLUME FOR ABOUT 2 MONTHS NOW BECAUSE OF THE CUTBACKS DUE TO "LOST VOLUME" SO I WOULD ALMOST RATHER BE LOADING, ALL OUR PART-TIME COVER DRIVERS TOOK FULL-TIME COMBO JOBS TO GET OUT OF THE TRUCKS.JUST HAD TO VENT FELLA'S

D

dammor

Archi,

Likewise here. I have done both, and there is no harder work I have ever done than delivering a P-1000. Especially if it is packed top to bottom, front to back. Loading 3 trucks in 4 hours is not fun either, but at least they are close to the belt. I think that is the point some are missing. It is hard to understand unless you have done both.

A

archibald

THANX DAMMOR, HAVING WORKED PART-TIME I DO RESPECT THEM MORE THAN AN "OFF THE STREET HIRE" WOULD. THE PROBLEM IN MY CENTER THAT STARTED BEFORE THE CONTRACT WAS DONE IS WITH ALL THE CUT BACKS THAT WERE DONE OUR MANPOWER IS DOWN AND VOLUME IS STEADILY RISEING. I HAVE WAY TO MUCH WORK AND MY LOADER IS LOADING WAY MORE VOLUME THAN HE SHOULD BE! I HAVE TO CLOCK IN AND HELP HIM AT LEAST 3 OR 4 TIMES A WEEK. PEAK IS GOING TO BE REAL NASTY AROUND HERE AND THE TIME TO TRAIN PEOPLE IS GETTIN THIN.MORAL IS NOT REAL GOOD THIS YEAR.
angry2.gif
}}}}

U

upslocal480

Keep in mind I specificaly said that in a typical hub on an average day, which excludes peak, a part-timer works harder or almost as hard as a driver but only for a small amount of time. I also specifically acknowledged that the drivers work 9-10 hour days and therefore works harder over all. Sometimes I think some of you guys just read parts of the posts and just respond in that way.
biggrin.gif

U

upsdwns

OKAY WE MAY WORK PART TIME BUT/...
DID YOU EVER THINK THAT IF YOU DRIVERS WHERE HALF WAY DECENT TO US THEY MIGHT HAVE BETTER LOADS IN THERE TRUCKS. THINK ABOUT IT.

U

upslocal480

I kind of know what you mean UPSDWNS. The drivers where I work now are for the most part pretty cool towards us part-timers but the drivers at the hub I worked at seemed to be different. The majority of them wouldn't even look a part-timer in the eye and would only speak if you forced them to. I always wondered what ever happened to the phrase "remember you roots." Those guys all had to wait 10+ years to get a driving job so its a wonder how they could forget their roots as a part-timer. Most of the average or older drivers at my small center now were only part time for 1-3 years before they started driving yet they are pretty cool. It seems backwards. Oh...there is also the part-time sups that were "Five for Oned" also. They are usually pretty happy. I guess its because most of them (at the hubs anyway) found a short cut into driving by being a part-time sup so not only did they wait less time to make the big bucks but they also are in a job much more secure than their old supervisor jobs. I guess I would be happy to. The only other thing I can think of to explain their treatment of part-timers is the fact that their jobs are not only hard but pretty stressful too. I guess we'll all find out one day. That is if we stick around that long.

F

feederdryver

UPSLocal480 --

Hi there, I just want to make a few comments to your opinion about how some drivers treat part-timers (those who have forgotten their roots). Let me say this, I did 10 years part-time before I went into Feeders. (Yes, I went out and got my CDL and skipped right over Packages) I work out of a HUB. I started out loading, strong-side/weak-side pick, and then after 3 years of all that I took the sort test and became a sorter. I even did a stint as an irreg driver. I unloaded once in awhile too. I also did On-call Air (weekly) and Saturday Air delivery/pickup. I finished my part-time years as a Secondary Sorter (our local center destinations). I was pretty much a jack of all trades. For the past 4 years now, I have been a full time Feeder driver. I have NEVER forgotten my roots and I help as many part timer loaders as I can . Sometimes I'll go find straps for them, or I'll help load (as long as they don't mind), I help them lift the over 70's , I even buy them cans of pop when its really hot. I do whatever I can to make them feel better about the hard work they do. Because I remember. And you know what..most of the other guys/gals who came over to full time from part-time do the same thing. They haven't forgotten either. But I will say this.. many part-timers give "us" the cold shoulder and they look at us as being "unworthy" to be full time. Some of them don't realize that we already did their job for years before they even got hired. It swings both ways 480. You have your good guys and your bad guys. Hell, I still get talked down from my fellow "veteran" drivers who never spent a minute doing part time work. And these old farts are the ones who complain the most about their jobs. They were hired right off the street into full time in the 70's and are spoiled rotten. I just ignore them now.. They will moan and complain up to the day they retire (if they ever do). Now, the ones that came from Packages are a bit more silent because they remember what hard work is all about. I wish more part-timers would stand up and be heard, but only about 1 out of 12 ever stick around for the long haul. Just remember, there are more employees going full time from part time now, than ever before. And once these baby boomers from the 60's and 70's decide to retire you'll notice the big change in attitude from the new full-timers. Of course you'll always have your 5 for 1 ratio hires (off the street full timers) who will always remain "spoiled". Maybe someday, we'll negotiate a language that says you can't be full time unless you come from part time, (but then again, how many part-timers are triple trailer qualified?) Heh! Oh well... hang in there it will get a little better over the years. And remember, we are all on the same team against the competition (FedEx) and the goal is to satisfy the customer as best we can. I'm counting on you to do your job in caring for that package just as you should be counting on me for delivering it.
Now is not the time for Full-timers and Part-timers to be squabbling over "who does more work".
If your here for the long haul.. then put in your time and you'll reap the rewards later. If your just biding time to finish college..then all I can say is "good-luck".
Later

U

upsdwns

HI, I wasn't trying to say the fulltimers dont work hard i'm married to a truck driver so i know what its all about I just saying a little respect both ways is what we all need. I have told quite a few people where to get off at at work and thats fulltime and part time. So we need to communicate.