Partial Service Pension

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
By mid Sept you should have your 40 weeks but most people finish out the month. To get your vacation you had to work a day in Jan for my local too, It comes down to whether you want to work another peak to get that money.
I didn't even want to work til Sept. Union hall told me I would have enough hours for a 25 and Out by the second week of May, I worked til the end of May just to make sure. Think I got paid around 4 weeks of vacation or something like that. Some guys made a big deal of staying longer to get their full vacation payout or going through another peak just to get their sick and personals but I really didn't care, by the end I just wanted out of that place.

oldngray

nowhere special
I didn't even want to work til Sept. Union hall told me I would have enough hours for a 25 and Out by the second week of May, I worked til the end of May just to make sure. Think I got paid around 4 weeks of vacation or something like that. Some guys made a big deal of staying longer to get their full vacation payout or going through another peak just to get their sick and personals but I really didn't care, by the end I just wanted out of that place.
I thought I would have enough by August and sent in my paperwork to get things started. That is about the only way to find out real numbers. Easy to change the date to later when you get more information. I retired end of Sept. I finished out the month but no way was it worth working another peak.

Shiftless

My exit strategy started very early.

I never thought I would keep working for UPS. It was just a part job when I started. Needed to support my habits while going to my local Jr. college.

Then after looking around and seeing what a driver made versus working in some cubicle in an office and being able to work outside and on my own (so I thought) started to change my mind.

Once in and a driver, I had an older pkg driver who was getting ready to retire at 65 years of age. Taught me many things to survive right out of the gate.

Even after he retired and died 6 months later he sent a clear message to me! DONT wait to retire, get out as soon as possible!!!
Altho he taught me a lot while alive, his mantra when he retired was he was gonna sit on the couch, drink beer and watch football.
Sure enough 6 months later DEAD! But I got his message loud and clear from his passing! I left at 49, don't sit on couches and I stay friend - ing BUSY!

oldngray

nowhere special
Not all locals have Teamcare. Some (like those who still have UPS insurance) can retire earlier. Which confuses the hell out of the union if you try to call them and ask questions.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It is truly amazes me how many people (barring any real health issues) really can't afford to retire after even 25yrs at UPS. I went from making 115k a year in feeders to a little over 35k going back to part-time. Just had to make a few adjustments for changing conditions. Didn't loose my house or stopped doing the things I like to do. I still can afford to retire. Just a little note that you cannot get retirement healthcare benefits from Teamcare until the age of 55. This why I stayed this long given my past health issues.

We live in one of the more expensive areas of the country and when my wife and I sat down and dollared it all out we really only need around 35k/year and that's with extras, if we had to we could get by on quite a bit less. Some folks have more expensive habits I guess?

Shiftless

Not all locals have Teamcare. Some (like those who still have UPS insurance) can retire earlier. Which confuses the hell out of the union if you try to call them and ask questions.

Exactly ! I am one of those who has UPS insurance that still is the same as a working FT driver.

Altho I was 49 when I exited, I needed to be 50 to get health insurance when I retired. To do that I had for years been planning this exit so I saved as many days of vacation, personal, sick and any other savable source so that when I retired those days would carry me past my 50th birthday.

I had a payroll clerk who was the sweetest , sharpest person I have ever experienced in my years with payroll. She was able altho I had direct deposit have every day saved I had on the book put in as a separate paid checks. The stack of checks was ridiculous!

I understand not all regions allow the banking of days! If you are not yet ready to retire and have some time left, you should get your input to correct this in your Teamster region! WHY stay a day longer than needed!

Vette51

I was on disability a couple months, I wont have 40 weeks til late December. If I retire in November will I still get paid for vac time ?? I thought I would get paid out for 3 days x each month I worked 15 days. 24 days in my case.

Vette51

I thought I would have enough by August and sent in my paperwork to get things started. That is about the only way to find out real numbers. Easy to change the date to later when you get more information. I retired end of Sept. I finished out the month but no way was it worth working another peak.
You retired in Sept, how much vacation payout did you get and how long after you retired did you receive it ?

oldngray

nowhere special
You retired in Sept, how much vacation payout did you get and how long after you retired did you receive it ?
No vacation payout. My local you had to work at least 1 day in Jan to get the vacations. I wasn't sure about it and called and asked about where is my money. I got a firm nope you're out of luck.

Overpaid Union Thug

You can retire in September and get all your accrued vacation for the following year, but if you want to get paid out for your accrued 5 sick and 5 personal you have to work at least 1 day into the new year. This is in local 639, might be different in other places.
When I have plugged in all the numbers on the website it was pretty clear that I was going to have to work the peak season before my 30 year anniversary date in order to get a decent pension. Otherwise I would retire late summer/early fall before that peek as long as I was getting my vacation pay out for the following year. I’ll be willing to give up my one sick day that we get in the Southern to escape a peak season.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
No vacation payout. My local you had to work at least 1 day in Jan to get the vacations. I wasn't sure about it and called and asked about where is my money. I got a firm nope you're out of luck.

That doesn't sound correct..The year prior or your current year will have accrued hours to qualify for some vacation weeks.

Again when I went Part Time to Full Time I was not eligible for the 6 weeks vacation that I had as a Part Timer till I worked that 1st year as a Full Timer, then It was back to 6 weeks and 1 option.

In the Central..

quad decade guy

So, you couldn't "afford" to retire either(you kept working). So, it's not so truly amazing is it? So, while you criticize others, you are exactly the same.