Participate In a Grievance! POLL

BigBeef42

Hey guys, i got a story...

Today we used a few dozen drivers-helpers due to a spike in volume.

Their was a sign up sheet yesterday to be a helper. I didnt know about it, therefore i never signed it, and i had no idea they were using 2 dozen helpers.

Im a UTILITY DRIVER and they never called me to help. I assumed they didnt need me today, which is the norm...

Do i have a Grievance here?

Vote 1 for yes

Vote 2 for No

Im one of the next guys in line to go FULLTIME and dont want to piss these guys off.

Future

Victory Ride
Think your right in the middle of a gray area....... happened to me a very long time ago......I was a casual for a few years, but they said they didnt need me for a driver for a day and would use me as a helper......was not a happy guy that day!

BigBeef42

Hmmm. Thats what im thinking too.

My center manager told me after-the-fact that they were so short handed and could have used my help. WTF

Less Runnin, More Stunnin

Future

Victory Ride
Hmmm. Thats what im thinking too.

My center manager told me after-the-fact that they were so short handed and could have used my help. WTF

Not sure if I would pursue the issue considering your pending status becoming full-time.........might think about letting this one go.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I haven't seen anything in the contract requiring them to call a driver in instead of using helpers. Just make it known you're ready and willing to drive, but there is nothing to grieve imho.

BigBeef42

Just talked with a guy who signed the driverhelper sheet.

The sheet was never posted in a physical location. The hub manager walked around and asked only a handful of guys to sign. WTF

Bottom rung

Your outside of a free period therefore cannot drive unless there are vacation days to cover and you're vacation coverage. If your close to going full time I'd just let it go. You'll be upset if you go friend/t and get dq'd over some b.s. because you couldn't pick your battles. Your new here and posted your situation. We've all seen it. Let your friend/t sup know you need hours and he'll look you up if need be. Until then lay low, win your bid, cash checks.

BigBeef42

Your outside of a free period therefore cannot drive unless there are vacation days to cover and you're vacation coverage. If your close to going full time I'd just let it go. You'll be upset if you go friend/t and get dq'd over some b.s. because you couldn't pick your battles. Your new here and posted your situation. We've all seen it. Let your friend/t sup know you need hours and he'll look you up if need be. Until then lay low, win your bid, cash checks.

Well said. Thats what i wanted to hear.

My shop steward said dont grieve it. So im treading lightly. Thanks bro

UPSGUY72

In my area.

Package driver helpers will be used from the Monday of the week
prior to Thanksgiving week until December 25 of any contract year.
Such employees shall receive $9.50 per hour for the life of the
Agreement. Helpers when required by the Employer will punch
his/her own time card at the beginning and end of the work day.
Helpers will be paid based on hours worked. Helpers will not be
allowed to do any driving work whatsoever.

Helper operating plans will be reviewed with the Local Union.

Current part time employees used to supplement helper needs will
be paid $ 11.00 per hour for hours worked.

Hey guys, i got a story...

Today we used a few dozen drivers-helpers due to a spike in volume.

Their was a sign up sheet yesterday to be a helper. I didnt know about it, therefore i never signed it, and i had no idea they were using 2 dozen helpers.

Im a UTILITY DRIVER and they never called me to help. I assumed they didnt need me today, which is the norm...

Do i have a Grievance here?

Vote 1 for yes

Vote 2 for No

Im one of the next guys in line to go FULLTIME and dont want to piss these guys off.
Tell your steward or business agent. Let them handle it and take the heat.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Technically I thought drivers should be exhausted before helpers are to be used.
I agree they should be, but my point is contractually they don't have to be. We have no language requiring that in the NMA. The closest thing we have in the NE supp is "Helper operating plans will be reviewed with the local union."

Future

Victory Ride
Think I would send a warning shot....tell steward to have a intense conversation with center manager about the issue....it won't happen again.....if it does then file official