Parting Of Ways

floridays

I think this statement is not totally off balance. I heard an older employee once say: " What Express does just in the tri state area alone in Pick up & Delivery is enough to turn profit for the entire operation. The rest of the country is gravy." I'm not sure it's a fact, but I'm also not sure it's total BS.
I'll call it
bsbullf.gif

floridays

There were major lawsuits that led to major significant changes in the contractor model that more clearly defined the powers and expectations of both parties. Sorry you missed the news.
I agree with that statement.

I don't however agree with the bulk of the rulings.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
There were major lawsuits that led to major significant changes in the contractor model that more clearly defined the powers and expectations of both parties. Sorry you missed the news.
And that in no way closes the case. Companies like FXG are gonna keep pushing their luck (at the expense of the contractor) until it runs out and Fred then will pull another classification (remember when IC became ISP?) straight out of his ass. Sorry you're too slow to catch on.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
At least they have a rational explanation for their delusions. So what's yours?

There's no rational explanation for their delusions. My only delusion was that you were an intelligent person. I don't really have an explanation, though you went out of your way to convince me that you weren't.

It will be fine

And that in no way closes the case. Companies like FXG are gonna keep pushing their luck (at the expense of the contractor) until it runs out and Fred then will pull another classification (remember when IC became ISP?) straight out of his ass. Sorry you're too slow to catch on.
They are pushing so many new responsibilities on us that should strengthen the model in a few ways. First, they are giving us much more direct control over things like hiring and the route planning. Second, they are making it so that there won’t be any small contractors left in a few years. The remaining contractors will probably average 30 to 40 trucks on road daily. The potential payouts for lawsuits will be less than a continued relationship with Fedex would be for contractors. They’ll get sued by terminated contractors, they’ll pay settlements and still be way ahead of an employee workforce.

bacha29

They are pushing so many new responsibilities on us that should strengthen the model in a few ways. First, they are giving us much more direct control over things like hiring and the route planning. Second, they are making it so that there won’t be any small contractors left in a few years. The remaining contractors will probably average 30 to 40 trucks on road daily. The potential payouts for lawsuits will be less than a continued relationship with Fedex would be for contractors. They’ll get sued by terminated contractors, they’ll pay settlements and still be way ahead of an employee workforce.
Indeed . I mentioned earlier that after having systematically eliminated the sole proprietors, the K-1 partnerships, and the LLC's leaving just the S-Corps and the C-Corps. In a few years all that will be left are well capitalized C-Corps . In order to weed out the absentee contract flipping speculators contractor contraction appears to be their only option. As for the workforce overall one fact will never change . You no pay, they no stay.....and many won't even accept the employment to begin with.