Party after retiremment

barnyard

KTM rider
I would guess that a bit more than half of our recent retirees have thrown bashes for their retirement. I went to a couple of them and have had great fun. I used to own a photo studio and some clients were at a party for a retiring driver. We hung out, joked and had a fabulous time. The retiring driver said that he met me and talked to me a bit at the wedding, but I did not remember it.

Most of the bashes have been at local bars, the retiree has supplied hors de oeuvres and 1 think bought a keg of beer. Pretty much though, the guests have kept the new retiree in drinks for the evening. I am a clean and sober individual, but have still bought drinks for the retirees whose bashes I attended.

texan

I would guess that a bit more than half of our recent retirees have thrown bashes for their retirement. I went to a couple of them and have had great fun. I used to own a photo studio and some clients were at a party for a retiring driver. We hung out, joked and had a fabulous time. The retiring driver said that he met me and talked to me a bit at the wedding, but I did not remember it.

Most of the bashes have been at local bars, the retiree has supplied hors de oeuvres and 1 think bought a keg of beer. Pretty much though, the guests have kept the new retiree in drinks for the evening. I am a clean and sober individual, but have still bought drinks for the retirees whose bashes I attended.
Re "I am a clean and sober individual" I agree I do not like alcohol parties.

I want with all my being to not tell anyone, just put a two week vacation on my target time, perform
all the necessary steps before hand, and leave on the evening before my vacation start.

I will share with my management 1 minute before I am off the clock.

Nothing personal, no regrets, I just do not like emotional times or parties.

Did my best, goodbye, on with a new phase of my life.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Good for you TEX. Im sure there will be no emotionality when I leave. Was that even a word? My mgmt team will have a young gun to replace me. If I find the new job I am looking for I will give no notice, as I am told every day how useless I am to them. Im just a number on the screen thats always bad. Trust me, I will be more happier than them. Because I care, and they will lose that.
I will have a big fricking party.
Because at that time I will have entered a new phase in my life where a company appreciates my diligence, dependability, and awesomeness.
If not I will just disappear, never to be on the reports again.
Til then, Im here, deal with it.

barnyard

KTM rider
Our last retiree said she was going to be done that way. When the paperwork was finalized, she was too excited not to say anything. She started cutting down, talking about plans and all that. She did not have a party and was embarrassed by the 'trouble' that others went to. Whatever. She had a good career and deserved a pat on the back from bosses and coworkers.

At our center, management invites the retirees family and gives their spouse a gift for giving up their UPSer for all those years. Recent retirees also are invited and they invite the newest retiree to a breakfast the following week. Pretty cool tradition at my center.

texan

Our last retiree said she was going to be done that way. When the paperwork was finalized, she was too excited not to say anything. She started cutting down, talking about plans and all that. She did not have a party and was embarrassed by the 'trouble' that others went to. Whatever. She had a good career and deserved a pat on the back from bosses and coworkers.

At our center, management invites the retirees family and gives their spouse a gift for giving up their UPSer for all those years. Recent retirees also are invited and they invite the newest retiree to a breakfast the following week. Pretty cool tradition at my center.
It is not for me. I have no problem with all of that for others, but not me.

I have been to these gatherings, and could not wait until it was appropriate to leave.

I guess I am just a little different to others.

I am wet blanket I guess when it comes to parties and gatherings like this.

Again, what can I say?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
While I agree, you still did give half your life to a company in exchange for those things. And it was not about that, it was about how you spent your life, and he spent it at UPS, therefore a party is in order, send me the addy.

UPS did give me a party to which I invited people that had left the department (120 people in 2000 and now 40) and we had a good time.
My wife did not come but UPS sent her a live peace lily with a condolence card.
That was good enough.
Got my first pension check yesterday and that along with the healthcare plan was all I really wanted but the party was nice and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Did not cost me a cent.

kingOFchester

UPS did give me a party to which I invited people that had left the department (120 people in 2000 and now 40) and we had a good time.
My wife did not come but UPS sent her a live peace lily with a condolence card.
That was good enough.
Got my first pension check yesterday and that along with the healthcare plan was all I really wanted but the party was nice and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Did not cost me a cent.

Yea, well....its probably going to cost me my free health benefits!!

Thx buddy!

rod

Retired 22 years
I just realized that date is when the current contract expires. What if the new contract is somehow better for retirees than the present one? The details are one of the things that I am waiting for before I make my decision about maybe going out this year.

:rofl:

S

serenity now

i won't even let the people on my route know (when the time comes); i'll be there one day and then gone
"well, i guess that sumbeach is on vacation again" :raspberry-tounge:

pretender

Re "I am a clean and sober individual" I agree I do not like alcohol parties.

I want with all my being to not tell anyone, just put a two week vacation on my target time, perform
all the necessary steps before hand, and leave on the evening before my vacation start.

I will share with my management 1 minute before I am off the clock.

Nothing personal, no regrets, I just do not like emotional times or parties.

Did my best, goodbye, on with a new phase of my life.

i won't even let the people on my route know (when the time comes); i'll be there one day and then gone
"well, i guess that sumbeach is on vacation again" :raspberry-tounge:

I thought the same thing--I just wanted to sneak out without telling anyone. It has been done before, but it is almost impossible to pull off. If you want your benefits/pension to be seamless, you have to start planning a couple of months in advance. All it takes is one person to see you in the HR office, and the rumors start! Then you take a day off, and the sub driver tells all of your customers. I left last December, and I was at least able to keep it small--I belonged to a small group of CPU drivers, and we had coffee and donuts.

I was prepared for this because I had seen it in the past: During your last week, you will be a big deal--A couple of weeks later, (other than personal friendships) you will be forgotten. Not a big deal, just human nature...

pretender

Good for you TEX. Im sure there will be no emotionality when I leave. Was that even a word? My mgmt team will have a young gun to replace me. If I find the new job I am looking for I will give no notice, as I am told every day how useless I am to them. Im just a number on the screen thats always bad. Trust me, I will be more happier than them. Because I care, and they will lose that.
I will have a big fricking party.
Because at that time I will have entered a new phase in my life where a company appreciates my diligence, dependability, and awesomeness.
If not I will just disappear, never to be on the reports again.
Til then, Im here, deal with it.

Tooner--After reading your posts for the last few years, I just know that you are an exceptional employee. I can tell that you already realize this, but the most important thing is that you know in your heart that you gave your best. Also, you may just be surprised--my immediate supervisor gave me a card with a gift certificate. Instead of just signing his name, he took the time to acknowledge the effort I put forth over the years. As I said, I already knew that I did my best, and I didn't need the recognition. However, it was very much appreciated by my wife. As everyone here knows, it is tough to be a spouse of any UPS employee.

Notretiredyet

Was at a retirement party Saturday nite for a guy in our center who retired recently. Had a blast, good thing the wife came along cause I was in no condition to drive when we left. Took one of the rookies keys and drove him home too, made him pickup his car Sunday. The only tie that showed up was a former manager and stand up guy, yeah he took a bit of ribbing from some of the guys but it didn't get out of hand. Not one of our current management team showed, which was no surprise. It's nice to get those you work with on a daily basis together in a social way once in awhile.