passed the test...air driver..what's the next step

UPS is so different than my employer...I work in a corporate office and my husband has been with UPS for 13 years now. he has been in preload all this time. He just passed the class and will be working as an air driver soon. what I want to know (and can't seem to get a straight answer) is what's next? when do you get a route? when do you finally get to be full time?
Full time depends on many things.

Bidding a route,won't be for a long time.

adriat

Tha is for all the responses. He did load trucks...but now drives that little car...eray or something like that! Lol...I think I get the general idea.

UPSwife0174

Here's our experience:
Took almost 12 years for hubby to get a full time position; he went from part time to full time, but in his case, it was a crummy listing that was essentially 2 part time positions that equaled full time; He worked as an air driver Mon-Fri 4:30-8:30 p.m., then Mon-Thurs he also worked in the hub sorting. He loved the driving part, hated sorting.

He was fortunate in that he went from PT to FT at the same time as moving to air driver, which helped him take the next step to full time cover (called "swing" in some hubs) driver. Going from air to cover took 2.5 years. Cover driver puts you one step closer to getting your own bid route, and was a little rocky last year. Being low man on the totem pole meant he got sent home many days. Three drivers retired in December, so I think he'll be working more solid hours this year. He's been doing this almost a year now, and there are maybe 5 guys below him now.

It IS very different from the corporate office i work in, so it took a while to wrap my head around it. It's definitely worth it in the end, but god they make you play the loooooong game to get there. The driver for our office said he heard it is a 19 year wait now from new UPS hire to full time bid route driver in our hub, and that sounds about right. Hoping he gets his own bid route in the next 2 years.

czalinsky

Question I started preload in 8/2010. I recently started Air driving during the week and will do Sat as well. I know I start at $13.50 now and with-in 2 years reach $26, but does anyone know how fast you get raises during this 2 year period? Or do you just go from $13.50-$26 in one shot... ???

T

Turdferguson

Question I started preload in 8/2010. I recently started Air driving during the week and will do Sat as well. I know I start at $13.50 now and with-in 2 years reach $26, but does anyone know how fast you get raises during this 2 year period? Or do you just go from $13.50-$26 in one shot... ???
Article 40 section 6 deals with pay for air work

By The Book

I think it's 12 mos.,18 mos.,then top scale. There are bumps and they are good ones. If you have a contract get familiar with it, knowledge is power my friend.

margaritaville

If he has 13 years hub experience he will bump down most of the air drivers a spot on the list when it comes to getting called in for ground help during the week. Which is up to 500$ in a day. So they are gonna be pissed haha.

I remember when i was an air driver for 3 years and this guy just started air but worked at the hub longer then me. So he kept getting called for ground help over me. I wanted him to fail cause he was literally costing me thousands a month by getting called in to help and they didnt make it down the list to me.

Unless he is lazy and doesnt want to help on weekdays. It blew me away that some of the air drivers above me would turn down 500$ for one day a work. Lazy as hell.

margaritaville

Well you dont work in the hub after a full day of driving. When you help out with ground as an air driver you still have to do your regular shift at the hub. And by the time you start your regular shift you are already at top scale overtime which is 50ish an hour to do some easy hub job.

upschuck

That's a lot of frog legs.
You plan on raising frogs? You are a good man.
upload_2015-2-3_21-4-53.png

You can get one of these a day.