Past employment verifications on drivers (DOT drug and alcohol testing)

bspe

Not to be rude but results of drug/alcohol testing while he was employed for UPS are none of your business!!

Actually, they are. Like I mentioned earlier, I am required by the US Department of Transportation Regulations to find out any prospective driver's drug and alcohol testing information for the preceding 3 years. These are not my company's rules....they are set forth by the US DOT and we have to follow them to the "T" or we are not in compliance.

Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't pulling an abstract of the applicant's CDL provide this information?

no

I guess you never heard of
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) Privacy Rule

It against the law for that infomation to be given to anyone.

Have the person a pre employment that your company pays for and then you will know the results.

Wrong.

If you REALLY knew what you were doing here, you would not be on an internet forum board trying to find out what you need to do!!

Companies that use The Work Number to verify past employment have another office that releases the drug and alcohol testing information. I'm just trying to find the central HR office that would take care of this.

I think that this guy, bspe is right. He is required to get that info. And bluehmdc, you might have missed the fine print when you put the signature on the piece of paper, but you probably authorized the employer to have permission for the results of your drug tests

And upstate ny, an abstract would not include the results of many drug tests. For example, a feeder driver gets randomly picked to give a urine test, he tests positive and is fired. That info won't be on an abstract.

Most big trucking companies put this info on a D.A.C. (can't remember what that stands for ) but it is sort of a central location for information on a driver, including failed drug tests. UPS, as far as I know, does not put this info on a d.a.c.

Finally, a voice of reason. D.A.C. was bought by USIS and then USIS was recently bought by Hire Right. They still call it a DAC report, though. Most companies still do not put drug testing info on the DAC reports....a few do.

UPSGUY72

Why don't you just get a DAC on the guy you want to hire. UPS isn't going to give the iformation out to you.

IF you called a person former employer and ask them about a person they are only going to tell you that the person did work for them and the dates. Because anything they say could open them up to a lawsuit.

P

pickup

Actually, they are. Like I mentioned earlier, I am required by the US Department of Transportation Regulations to find out any prospective driver's drug and alcohol testing information for the preceding 3 years. These are not my company's rules....they are set forth by the US DOT and we have to follow them to the "T" or we are not in compliance.

Boys, bspe is right. He (the employer) is forced to comply with the of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety(FMCS) Regulations , specifically in this case 40.25 and 391.25 (google and look them up and you will see that bspe is right)

I included a link to a job application for a carrier . On page 4 of the application, there is the authorization form that the prospective driver must sign.

There is a reason for these regulations, if John Truck driver is a cocaine addict and has half a brain, he will go cold turkey for more than three days and pass a preemployment drug test (he'll go cold turkey before he fills out the application) . He will drive for a new company and get busted eventually on a random dot drug test and will be fired. After he goes on another binge , he will go cold turkey and apply to a new company . By having this regulation in effect, the new company is required to ask the old company about any failed drug tests and the old one is required to tell the new one about it. If this regulation didn't exist, you can have a perpetual cocaine addict job hop everytime his habit is detected and the new company has no clue and hence an impaired driver is continually out on the road. With this reg,the driver will be on the sidelines for a few years.

Here's the link : http://www.colvilleinc.com/employment/dot/ApplicationDOT.pdf

oops , included my text within his quote, sorry

P

pickup

let me repeat myself because I buried my reply within bpse's quote:

Boys, bspe is right. He (the employer) is forced to comply with the of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety(FMCS) Regulations , specifically in this case 40.25 and 391.25 (google and look them up and you will see that bspe is right)

I included a link to a job application for a carrier . On page 4 of the application, there is the authorization form that the prospective driver must sign.

here's the link :http://www.colvilleinc.com/employment/dot/ApplicationDOT.pdf

There is a reason for these regulations, if John Truck driver is a cocaine addict and has half a brain, he will go cold turkey for more than three days and pass a preemployment drug test (he'll go cold turkey before he fills out the application) . He will drive for a new company and get busted eventually on a random dot drug test and will be fired. After he goes on another binge , he will go cold turkey and apply to a new company . By having this regulation in effect, the new company is required to ask the old company about any failed drug tests and the old one is required to tell the new one about it. If this regulation didn't exist, you can have a perpetual cocaine addict job hop everytime his habit is detected and the new company has no clue and hence an impaired driver is continually out on the road. With this reg,the driver will be on the sidelines for a few years.

defcondelta88

Wow, the amount of people who are wrong in this thread is astounding. Background screener here -

Companies that are DOT regulated are required by law to provide a completed DOT Drug and Alcohol questionnaire within 30 days of the request having been made. This cannot be done unless a specific form is filled out by the candidate for EACH employer, and that form must subsequently be sent to either Human Resources or in many cases, a Safety Regulation department. Without that form they cannot divulge information. Many positions are not DOT regulated, and not all employers do things by the books, so no, not everyone on earth has had to go through the DOT process, and not every employer ever does thorough background screening, meaning that some of you may have never had to complete the information release form as the employer never wanted it to begin with.

That being said, UPS is a bitch to verify. I've spent the last week on hold and have been routed to the wrong department (automated employment verification line) multiple times. At this point I am simply closing out the report and mailing their corporate headquarters with a compliance notice.

This information does NOT fall under HIPAA, as you already sign a waiver when you are hired and complete drug screening. Read the paperwork you sign before making idiotic complaints - to some of the users in this thread. I used to audit medical practices and know HIPAA in and out.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Wow, the amount of people who are wrong in this thread is astounding. Background screener here -

Companies that are DOT regulated are required by law to provide a completed DOT Drug and Alcohol questionnaire within 30 days of the request having been made. This cannot be done unless a specific form is filled out by the candidate for EACH employer, and that form must subsequently be sent to either Human Resources or in many cases, a Safety Regulation department. Without that form they cannot divulge information. Many positions are not DOT regulated, and not all employers do things by the books, so no, not everyone on earth has had to go through the DOT process, and not every employer ever does thorough background screening, meaning that some of you may have never had to complete the information release form as the employer never wanted it to begin with.

That being said, UPS is a bitch to verify. I've spent the last week on hold and have been routed to the wrong department (automated employment verification line) multiple times. At this point I am simply closing out the report and mailing their corporate headquarters with a compliance notice.

This information does NOT fall under HIPAA, as you already sign a waiver when you are hired and complete drug screening. Read the paperwork you sign before making idiotic complaints - to some of the users in this thread. I used to audit medical practices and know HIPAA in and out.
You do realize this thread is 6 years old?

oldngray

nowhere special
You do realize this thread is 6 years old?

It looks like more evidence - don't do drugs. (it leads to necroposting)
necropost.png

Safety Director

After nearly four years and countless letters to our regional DOT office to report that we have been unable to verify employment, drug/alcohol and accident history on previous drivers that have worked for UPS...I have been able to secure the "direct" fax number that must be used to request such requests.

(877) 251-4409

Hope this pain I had to endure will be a blessing for other motor carriers that are faced with having to remain compliant when requesting previous employee history.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
After nearly four years and countless letters to our regional DOT office to report that we have been unable to verify employment, drug/alcohol and accident history on previous drivers that have worked for UPS...I have been able to secure the "direct" fax number that must be used to request such requests.

(877) 251-4409

Hope this pain I had to endure will be a blessing for other motor carriers that are faced with having to remain compliant when requesting previous employee history.
Finally I'll be able to sleep knowing this has been taken care of

Turdferguson

Just a turd

(877) 251-4409

giphy (31).gif

kokobug

(877) 251-4409

I created an account just to verify this information. and praise the Safety Director's actions.
if Uncle Sam is going to force individuals and small companies to jump through the hoops it needs to do the same to those who has lobbying power... SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS! ;)

Fax is - 877-251-4409
ACTUAL HR Phone # is - 1 (855) 877-4772
DOT Verificatations can be emailed to - [email protected]

THE WORK NUMBER DOESN'T release Drug/Alcohol information which the DOT requires!! Now to get this information from FEDEX!!! Grr...

542thruNthru

I created an account just to verify this information. and praise the Safety Director's actions.
if Uncle Sam is going to force individuals and small companies to jump through the hoops it needs to do the same to those who has lobbying power... SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS! ;)

Fax is - 877-251-4409
ACTUAL HR Phone # is - 1 (855) 877-4772
DOT Verificatations can be emailed to - [email protected]

THE WORK NUMBER DOESN'T release Drug/Alcohol information which the DOT requires!! Now to get this information from FEDEX!!! Grr...
giphy-73.gif

kokobug

@542thruNthru,
Maybe I'm dramatic lol, but as a bookend, the regs:

Title 49Subtitle BChapter IIISubchapter B → Part §391.23 Investigation and inquiries.​

(a) Except as provided in subpart G of this part, each motor carrier shall make the following investigations and inquiries with respect to each driver it employs, other than a person who has been a regularly employed driver of the motor carrier for a continuous period which began before January 1, 1971:

(1) An inquiry, within 30 days of the date the driver's employment begins, to each State where the driver held or holds a motor vehicle operator's license or permit during the preceding 3 years to obtain that driver's motor vehicle record.

(2) An investigation of the driver's safety performance history with Department of Transportation regulated employers during the preceding three years.

(b) A copy of the motor vehicle record(s) obtained in response to the inquiry or inquiries to each State required by paragraph (a)(1) of this section must be placed in the driver qualification file within 30 days of the date the driver's employment begins and be retained in compliance with §391.51. If no motor vehicle record is received from the State or States required to submit this response, the motor carrier must document a good faith effort to obtain such information, and certify that no record exists for that driver in that State or States. The inquiry to the State driver licensing agency or agencies must be made in the form and manner each agency prescribes.

(c)(1) Replies to the investigations of the driver's safety performance history required by paragraph (a)(2) of this section, or documentation of good faith efforts to obtain the investigation data, must be placed in the driver investigation history file, after October 29, 2004, within 30 days of the date the driver's employment begins. Any period of time required to exercise the driver's due process rights to review the information received, request a previous employer to correct or include a rebuttal, is separate and apart from this 30-day requirement to document investigation of the driver safety performance history data.

(2) The investigation may consist of personal interviews, telephone interviews, letters, or any other method for investigating that the carrier deems appropriate. Each motor carrier must make a written record with respect to each previous employer contacted, or good faith efforts to do so. The record must include the previous employer's name and address, the date the previous employer was contacted, or the attempts made, and the information received about the driver from the previous employer. Failures to contact a previous employer, or of them to provide the required safety performance history information, must be documented. The record must be maintained pursuant to §391.53.

(3) Prospective employers should report failures of previous employers to respond to an investigation to the FMCSA and use the complaint procedures specified at §386.12 of this subchapter. Keep a copy of the reports in the driver investigation history file as part of documenting a good faith effort to obtain the required information.

(4) Exception. For drivers with no previous employment experience working for a DOT-regulated employer during the preceding three years, documentation that no investigation was possible must be placed in the driver investigation history file, after October 29, 2004, within the required 30 days of the date the driver's employment begins.

(d) The prospective motor carrier must investigate, at a minimum, the information listed in this paragraph from all previous employers of the applicant that employed the driver to operate a CMV within the previous three years. The investigation request must contain specific contact information on where the previous motor carrier employers should send the information requested.

Also,
Title 49Subtitle BChapter IIISubchapter B → Part §382.405 Access to facilities and records.

(friend) Records shall be made available to a subsequent employer upon receipt of a written request from a driver. Disclosure by the subsequent employer is permitted only as expressly authorized by the terms of the driver's request.

Just playing by the rules boss.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
@542thruNthru,

Title 49Subtitle BChapter IIISubchapter B → Part §391.23 Investigation and inquiries.​

(a) Except as provided in subpart G of this part, each motor carrier shall make the following investigations and inquiries with respect to each driver it employs, other than a person who has been a regularly employed driver of the motor carrier for a continuous period which began before January 1, 1971:

(1) An inquiry, within 30 days of the date the driver's employment begins, to each State where the driver held or holds a motor vehicle operator's license or permit during the preceding 3 years to obtain that driver's motor vehicle record.

(2) An investigation of the driver's safety performance history with Department of Transportation regulated employers during the preceding three years.

(b) A copy of the motor vehicle record(s) obtained in response to the inquiry or inquiries to each State required by paragraph (a)(1) of this section must be placed in the driver qualification file within 30 days of the date the driver's employment begins and be retained in compliance with §391.51. If no motor vehicle record is received from the State or States required to submit this response, the motor carrier must document a good faith effort to obtain such information, and certify that no record exists for that driver in that State or States. The inquiry to the State driver licensing agency or agencies must be made in the form and manner each agency prescribes.

(c)(1) Replies to the investigations of the driver's safety performance history required by paragraph (a)(2) of this section, or documentation of good faith efforts to obtain the investigation data, must be placed in the driver investigation history file, after October 29, 2004, within 30 days of the date the driver's employment begins. Any period of time required to exercise the driver's due process rights to review the information received, request a previous employer to correct or include a rebuttal, is separate and apart from this 30-day requirement to document investigation of the driver safety performance history data.

(2) The investigation may consist of personal interviews, telephone interviews, letters, or any other method for investigating that the carrier deems appropriate. Each motor carrier must make a written record with respect to each previous employer contacted, or good faith efforts to do so. The record must include the previous employer's name and address, the date the previous employer was contacted, or the attempts made, and the information received about the driver from the previous employer. Failures to contact a previous employer, or of them to provide the required safety performance history information, must be documented. The record must be maintained pursuant to §391.53.

(3) Prospective employers should report failures of previous employers to respond to an investigation to the FMCSA and use the complaint procedures specified at §386.12 of this subchapter. Keep a copy of the reports in the driver investigation history file as part of documenting a good faith effort to obtain the required information.

(4) Exception. For drivers with no previous employment experience working for a DOT-regulated employer during the preceding three years, documentation that no investigation was possible must be placed in the driver investigation history file, after October 29, 2004, within the required 30 days of the date the driver's employment begins.

(d) The prospective motor carrier must investigate, at a minimum, the information listed in this paragraph from all previous employers of the applicant that employed the driver to operate a CMV within the previous three years. The investigation request must contain specific contact information on where the previous motor carrier employers should send the information requested.

Also,
Title 49Subtitle BChapter IIISubchapter B → Part §382.405 Access to facilities and records.

(friend) Records shall be made available to a subsequent employer upon receipt of a written request from a driver. Disclosure by the subsequent employer is permitted only as expressly authorized by the terms of the driver's request.

B3884D9E-1629-4370-AA1B-5B5805298E1E.png

542thruNthru

@542thruNthru,

Also,

I have no idea what you're even talking about or why I would even care if I did... Lol