Pay Change - PT Supervisors?

j13501

OK, I just talked to my HR rep a couple hours ago about this.

According to her, P/T Sups are going hourly.

Just as UPS has was critical about working over 27.5/weekly when the economy and volume were up, they have now been researching how much they are giving out to those who are not working 27.5 now that the economy and volume is down.

According to HR, those sups who work 27.5 hours each week should see no decrease in salary. However, those that are in operations which have seen significant decreases in volume (mine!), will see relative decreases in salary.

This feels like a huge slap in the face. For years, I worked every single week over 27.5 and never got a nickel of OT. Now the work is down and it won't even equal out.

It seems painfully obvious to me now that UPS was only paying us salary b/c they knew they could get away with paying us less, for more work. It was never about fair wages.

I'm pissed.

Your HR rep is wrong. The 27.5 hrs per week salary is still in place. The key reason is that as a supervisor, if you can finish your operation early or on time, you should not get your pay reduced for better performance. You do have to remember to put your hours into PTRS daily (as you do now)
Therefore, this plan pays you a base pay weekly. As other people have posted, your 1/2 month at peak will be added into weekly pay on a pro-rated basis. In a way, this benefits you, because at peak, if you work double shifts, you will get overtime anyway.
Part time supervisors are an important part of UPS. They make a big contribution, and I'm glad that the salary stayed in place so you are not hourly, you are still management- management that gets paid weekly.

atatbl

Your HR rep is wrong. The 27.5 hrs per week salary is still in place. The key reason is that as a supervisor, if you can finish your operation early or on time, you should not get your pay reduced for better performance. You do have to remember to put your hours into PTRS daily (as you do now)
Therefore, this plan pays you a base pay weekly. As other people have posted, your 1/2 month at peak will be added into weekly pay on a pro-rated basis. In a way, this benefits you, because at peak, if you work double shifts, you will get overtime anyway.
Part time supervisors are an important part of UPS. They make a big contribution, and I'm glad that the salary stayed in place so you are not hourly, you are still management- management that gets paid weekly.

You have a division or region?

ToledoTwi

From my understanding, here in Toledo, is that we are going to get everything that was told by the people on this board...however talking to HR, they said we will continue to maintain the salary wage, and not go over to the hourly wage. We usually put in more than 5.5 hours on a given day, so it seems to me the company is trying to be a penny pincher!

W

westsideworma

From my understanding, here in Toledo, is that we are going to get everything that was told by the people on this board...however talking to HR, they said we will continue to maintain the salary wage, and not go over to the hourly wage. We usually put in more than 5.5 hours on a given day, so it seems to me the company is trying to be a penny pincher!

I can't wait to read the information. However, if I'm not getting compensated for hours 27.6-whatever during peak next year (worked 45+ hr weeks 3 out of 4 weeks of PEAK last year)...forget it.

drewed

Shankman
I believe thats why the 27.5 was set up, because way back when they would have pt sups put in 40+ hours and still only get paid their salary (took it to court and won), so they instituted the 27.5 and over that is premium. Is there any senior person in management that can verify that?
Id say if they if they do away with the premium pay, theyll average out your salary based on 27.5 hours and pay that hourly wage to you upto 40. Granted its not premium pay but your still making bank and although this maybe "penny pinching" it could be a way to set up pt sups with more hours, it wouldnt show heavily on the books since you wouldnt be making a premium.

W

westsideworma

I believe thats why the 27.5 was set up, because way back when they would have pt sups put in 40+ hours and still only get paid their salary (took it to court and won), so they instituted the 27.5 and over that is premium. Is there any senior person in management that can verify that?
Id say if they if they do away with the premium pay, theyll average out your salary based on 27.5 hours and pay that hourly wage to you upto 40. Granted its not premium pay but your still making bank and although this maybe "penny pinching" it could be a way to set up pt sups with more hours, it wouldnt show heavily on the books since you wouldnt be making a premium.

I was going to say isn't that what the point of 27.5 was in the first place? Yeah no premium pay will suck (but lets be honest it was only 10% more than our averaged hourly rate). I will still make out alright I'm sure as I worked a ton during peak because it was there (the work). I don't mean stealing hourly work either unionites :wink2:

Zeptar

Safety Compliance Sup
To figure your weekly base pay, use the following formula:

semi-monthly salary x 24 (pay periods) divide by 52 (weeks) x 1.047 (one time increase of 4.7%) = weekly salary.

Pay for hours worked beyond the weekly guarantee (27.5 hours), but not included in overtime, will be paid at an hourly equivalent.

Overtime rules will continue to follow established daily and weekly thresholds, but will be based on actual hours worked. Vacation, D-Days and holiday hours will be included in your paycheck but will not count towards hours worked when determining overtime thresholds. In other words, any week that you have a D-day you will not get OT that week. (I was told by my supervisor that OT is now at a 5% premium instead of 10%. My sup also told me that when you get OT that you will be paid 5%premium for all hours work - I have my doubts about that statement.)

By my calculations and I could be wrong, part-time sups will earn $10-$15 less a 27.5 work week with this new pay change. Plus sup's insurance rates are going up. Screwed again by Big Brown...

TSup

I was going to say isn't that what the point of 27.5 was in the first place? Yeah no premium pay will suck (but lets be honest it was only 10% more than our averaged hourly rate). I will still make out alright I'm sure as I worked a ton during peak because it was there (the work). I don't mean stealing hourly work either unionites :wink2:

The raise you are getting on Jan 1st includes 2 things.....
1) Your half month is most of the raise
2) The old 10% premium is actually given to you as a .5% raise

You get you salary up to 27.5 guaranteed, then you will get your hourly wage from 27.5 to 40. Thyen you will get 1.5 after 40. Simple.....

Hasn't everyone been given the breakdown sheet and have it reviewed by your managers? We gave it to our PT Sups over a week ago

ToledoTwi

But wouldn't the sup be making more in the end, with 4 months of having 5 weeks of pay?

semi-monthly salary x 24 (pay periods) divide by 52 (weeks) x 1.047 (one time increase of 4.7%) = weekly salary.

Pay for hours worked beyond the weekly guarantee (27.5 hours), but not included in overtime, will be paid at an hourly equivalent.

Overtime rules will continue to follow established daily and weekly thresholds, but will be based on actual hours worked. Vacation, D-Days and holiday hours will be included in your paycheck but will not count towards hours worked when determining overtime thresholds. In other words, any week that you have a D-day you will not get OT that week. (I was told by my supervisor that OT is now at a 5% premium instead of 10%. My sup also told me that when you get OT that you will be paid 5%premium for all hours work - I have my doubts about that statement.)

By my calculations and I could be wrong, part-time sups will earn $10-$15 less a 27.5 work week with this new pay change. Plus sup's insurance rates are going up. Screwed again by Big Brown...

W

westsideworma

The raise you are getting on Jan 1st includes 2 things.....
1) Your half month is most of the raise
2) The old 10% premium is actually given to you as a .5% raise

You get you salary up to 27.5 guaranteed, then you will get your hourly wage from 27.5 to 40. Thyen you will get 1.5 after 40. Simple.....

Hasn't everyone been given the breakdown sheet and have it reviewed by your managers? We gave it to our PT Sups over a week ago

nope haven't received it haha

drewed

Shankman
I got mine on tuesday, it seems pretty simple getting a one time increase of 4.7% (for dec bonus) and .5 (in leu of premium) and i believe this is to be in addition to the 3% for your QPR. after 27.5 you get paid you hourly wage figure on wage over hours

pkg handler

right now im being taxed around 21-22 % each check

now when i break it down using the formula and I friend im using the same taxes then i will be making less then i do now .. :(

as a union employee it was 20% taxed mainly ..differed each week little but it was mianly 20%.. can i get it lowered or is that it ..?

KidUPS

I have heard nothing of this here in South Cal. Would the sups on the board who have had this reviewed be losing their bonus check for this year or next?

pkg handler

we will get this yrs heavily taxed bonus ..next year it would be figured into our weekly check now... if the tax rate im getting taxed at goes down to 20% then i will be making more instead of the 23.5 i am now ... my federal status on my check is s 01..anything i can do to lower these taxes at all.. or is this it . i seen a 3-4 % increase over 6 months

W

westsideworma

I guess we'll see. Our HR rep basically said take half of what you make a pay period now and thats what we'd get per week (plus whatever raise we get out of this whole deal)...but like I said, we'll see I guess. I think what you said is more likely because then it benefits UPS and not us. From the beginning I just couldn't see why they'd do this for no apparent reason. I'm all for having a weekly check, but if it means I end up making less...then forget it, dumb idea.