Pay Change - PT Supervisors?

atatbl

will it be taxed the same since its a smaller check ../ i just ant it down to my usual 20% no this 23-24 range

No.... that is not how tax law is setup. If you want the most accurate calculations you will get for free go to paycheckcity.com and play around with the options.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

will it be taxed the same since its a smaller check ../ i just ant it down to my usual 20% no this 23-24 range

No.... that is not how tax law is setup. If you want the most accurate calculations you will get for free go to paycheckcity.com and play around with the options.

Atatbl gave you some good advice. After you go to the website that he suggested, you can then change your W-4 as needed most likely by increasing the number of exemptions that you are claiming. You can change your W-4 at upsers.com for Federal.

pkg handler

Atatbl gave you some good advice. After you go to the website that he suggested, you can then change your W-4 as needed most likely by increasing the number of exemptions that you are claiming. You can change your W-4 at upsers.com for Federal.

im trying to be more clear but its not working .. with the current rate im being taxed at 23.5 i would be losing money in this new scheme of being payed ../ but when i was being paid weekly as a union employee it was around 18-20 % taxed ...? so what I'm trying to say if i go back to my original taxed checks i will be profiting from this switch. The division manager went over it and said everyone would be making more , even a small amount but still not losing money. Like todays check i got today was taxed 23.5 percent..? compared to under 0 when i was being paid weekly if the same taxes are ebing taken out then i will be losing money under this new plan without the bonus at the end also

pkg handler

im at the site and it should show about 30-40 more per check then what im getting .. i have no deductions ..no united way ..actually have + 13 credits for benefits ..so i dont know whats the problem

drewed

Shankman
youre claiming a dependents? thats should be a lower tax
i dnt claim my self so my taxes are higher but still only about 18%
what im saying on the UPSers w-2 form thing it has an option to have an additional dollar amount taken out on top of your taxes

pkg handler

youre claiming a dependents? thats should be a lower tax
i dnt claim my self so my taxes are higher but still only about 18%
what im saying on the UPSers w-2 form thing it has an option to have an additional dollar amount taken out on top of your taxes

i got this from the upsers site :

Enter total number of Allowances you are claiming: 2 Enter Additional Amount, if any, you want withheld from 0.00 each paycheck

should i claim exemption from withholding also..?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

i got this from the upsers site :

Enter total number of Allowances you are claiming: 2 Enter Additional Amount, if any, you want withheld from 0.00 each paycheck

should i claim exemption from withholding also..?

OK, now I know what you are talking about. If you want less tax taken out, increase the number of allowances. If you would rather have a fixed dollar amount taken out each check, you would enter that amount in Additional Amount.

For example, I have 25% going to my 401k so to make sure that my take home stayed the same I increased my allowances to 7 for Federal and kept it at 1 for State. The lower taxes taken out weekly will be offset by the deduction of the amount that I contribute to my 401k which comes off of my gross income before any taxes are computed.

There are many calculators online which will let you input your individual numbers for your financial situation, but I would think that going from "2" to "3" for you allowances would do the trick.

ToledoTwi

Can someone actually post the information about the pay change? I have not yet received any information about it here, and they seem to be pretty mum about it.

UPS Lifer

I have watched a transition of the part time supervisor over the years. This does not surprise me at all. BUT, that does not mean I do not have empathy for the PT supervisor.

In the Pacific Region back in 1984, I was a FT supervisor, and the district decided to add 2 PT supervisors to the boxline operation and I was chosen for the "experiment". After that, PT supervisors were added to every preload & hub operation in the district.

These PT supervisors were the future FT management team. When I became a manager I needed a dispatching supervisor. I only needed this supervisor in the afternoon to help dispatch our heavy pick up operation. I put in a proposal that outlined all the benefits to UPS. My proposal was tabled for about 6 months and then it was revisited and another "test" was initiated. It was highly successful. This evolved into the part time employees who run the dispatch, answer the phones and manage the computer operations for the centers today. In fact these folks have evolved into PT supervisors.

During the last few years, I have watched how PT supervisor has evolved into what I call a "glorified hourly" position amongst most operations. I did what I could to maintain the status of a management position which requires leadership skills and the ability to make thoughtful decisions rather than mechanical routine supervision.

It was frustrating to see the change but at least I could insulate it from my own operation to a large degree. Many of my supervisors became FT candidates. I worked hard to instill career aspirations in these supervisors. My operation had 36 part time supervisors. Training and recruitment of supervisors was the biggest part of my job.

Another aspect of the evolution is the nature of the X & Y generation. Most of these people are not gearing toward a career with one company. These people want to live for today and have no desire to make sacrifices for one company. Company loyalty is part of the past. The younger generations have watched their parents sacrifice their lives away for big corporations and these generations want nothing to do with that.

I can not blame them. But UPS is highly adaptable and makes adjustments accordingly.

This is why you have seen the PT supervisor evolve into an hourly position. The only thing that differentiates this position from a union employee is the fact that a supervisor still can exercise discipline on a subordinate employee.

W

westsideworma

I have watched a transition of the part time supervisor over the years. This does not surprise me at all. BUT, that does not mean I do not have empathy for the PT supervisor.

In the Pacific Region back in 1984, I was a FT supervisor, and the district decided to add 2 PT supervisors to the boxline operation and I was chosen for the "experiment". After that, PT supervisors were added to every preload & hub operation in the district.

These PT supervisors were the future FT management team. When I became a manager I needed a dispatching supervisor. I only needed this supervisor in the afternoon to help dispatch our heavy pick up operation. I put in a proposal that outlined all the benefits to UPS. My proposal was tabled for about 6 months and then it was revisited and another "test" was initiated. It was highly successful. This evolved into the part time employees who run the dispatch, answer the phones and manage the computer operations for the centers today. In fact these folks have evolved into PT supervisors.

During the last few years, I have watched how PT supervisor has evolved into what I call a "glorified hourly" position amongst most operations. I did what I could to maintain the status of a management position which requires leadership skills and the ability to make thoughtful decisions rather than mechanical routine supervision.

It was frustrating to see the change but at least I could insulate it from my own operation to a large degree. Many of my supervisors became FT candidates. I worked hard to instill career aspirations in these supervisors. My operation had 36 part time supervisors. Training and recruitment of supervisors was the biggest part of my job.

Another aspect of the evolution is the nature of the X & Y generation. Most of these people are not gearing toward a career with one company. These people want to live for today and have no desire to make sacrifices for one company. Company loyalty is part of the past. The younger generations have watched their parents sacrifice their lives away for big corporations and these generations want nothing to do with that.

I can not blame them. But UPS is highly adaptable and makes adjustments accordingly.

This is why you have seen the PT supervisor evolve into an hourly position. The only thing that differentiates this position from a union employee is the fact that a supervisor still can exercise discipline on a subordinate employee.

the only reason I see this happening in my building is the hourlies don't push back. It seems if a supervisor knows they can get away with working they're going to do it (if getting ridden for numbers). If a supervisor has to work, we clearly need more people on the shift. I do not work unless there is an ANC and there is absolutely no other way around it. Are there times when I'm told to work by superiors or asked to work by hourlies? yes believe it or not it happens. However its extremely rare.

However Lifer, many PT supes would not consider a FT position at UPS, at least ones I've talked to. They don't like the corporate climate here (not that its any different elsewhere...or much different). The micromanaging is out of control. They tell us to take ownership of our areas yet we're barked at over the radio at how we should be running the area. If its "our" area then get out of our way and let us run it. I've gotten into a couple minor disagreements/discussions over this with a superior because he was asking me to do something that simply didn't make any logical sense and I refused to do so. It's my area, let me run it. My people respect me and know that I know the job and wouldn't suggest they do something unless it had a clear benefit to them or the entire team. We make our service and usually run scratch (cost plan wise), I don't feel the need for the seemingly needless instruction. Its not that I think I know it all because I know I don't, but do I know more about preloading than a superior who has admittedly never done it? I'd be willing to bet a years salary that I do.

Last edited by a moderator:

dodptsup

Since the pay structure is going to a weekly salary, and since that is dependant on a timecard being filled out in PTRS for each day worked, we can now be layed off without any pay guarantee. They could either rotate PT sups, with some being off one week a month, or a day or two per week, without having payroll issues.Of course this is all packaged as a change to meet our needs, but come on, when is UPS concerned about what employees want. When something like this changes, there is always an ulterior motive, and I think lay-offs are the motive

UPS Lifer

no,they could do that just as easy now.....youre salary is still guaranteed based on you logging your hours

drewd is 100% correct. You can get laid off either way very easily.

Hopefully, the volume will not drop dramatically next year - Of course it may seem to in January but the year to year comps will make the difference. You may see a shift in package type and service level.

Obviously everyone will be looking to see what happens and you need to prepare but this is a catch 22.

If everyone cuts way back in spending then the economy will continue to take a hit spend too much and you may find yourself in a debt situation you can't rectify easily.

So moderation is the key to spending and have a back up plan.

Don't forget - your best defense to getting laid off as a management person is to perform well. People who do not perform well will be laid off first if there is a need to lay off.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

...Don't forget - your best defense to getting laid off as a management person is to perform well. People who do not perform well will be laid off first if there is a need to lay off.

Lifer, not to sound naive, but are you saying that layoffs (if needed) within mgt are not based on seniority but rather based on performance? I assume that would mean that the center manager would be calling the shots for PT sups and perhaps the center manager's boss for FT sups. Thank goodness for Union protection.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
Once we go to weekly pay and no more bonus, we'll officially be what everyone already knows we are - glorified loaders.

Why would a PT sup deserve a bonus anyways? Most just play on the computer with the timecards at the end of each night and make up the start time schedule for the next week.

If anyone deserves a "bonus" it's the people doing the work.

drewed

Shankman
Lifer, not to sound naive, but are you saying that layoffs (if needed) within mgt are not based on seniority but rather based on performance? I assume that would mean that the center manager would be calling the shots for PT sups and perhaps the center manager's boss for FT sups. Thank goodness for Union protection.

I think it would come down to senriority due to (atleast up here) we base our work groups and schedules off of seniority. I would hope performance would have something to do with it but i dont think it would