Pay Edited From 20hr/ to 15/hr Without Any Notice

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
So the attendance bonus is chosen entirely at the will of the company.
You won't find any contract article on that that I know of.

You were also a seasonal, from the sounds of it.
So you were probably terminated and quietly rehired in the system, as happens every year with those that get kept after peak.

Also being a seasonal "at will" employee, you have basically no protections, or rights to the contract guarantees.

I know that's not the answer you want, but it's the hand you were dealt.
You get to choose to accept it, or try your luck elsewhere.

What they took away was MRA not attendance bonus.

Both of which are above and beyond the negotiated wage and completely at the company’s discretion.

Box Handler of Dallas

I have been reading threads on here about other people's pay being reduced, however, it appears that they were told in advance that it would happen and their would be an attendance bonus. For the week of January 16th, all of my hours showed that I was getting paid 20/hr, until they edited that today so I made 15/hr for the week of January 16th. Any advice on how I should handle this situation?
There isn't anything that you can do or handle about this. UPS put in the MRA in order to increasing staffing levels for peak. Peak is not over so UPS has removed the MRA. What you're quoting from the contract does not apply since your hourly rate did not go below what the the contract lists as the minimum for your job.
There are some hubs that are giving attendance bonuses. Like the MRA, those are purely at the discretion of UPS and can be amended or removed at any time.

Frank888

Good post and thank you for clarifying. I will not talk to my steward or business agent about that, however, do I have a case if they changed my pay in the time card viewer? I'm asking this because last week all of my hours were shown as 20/hr until today where it changed to 15/hr. Do I have a point there?

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Good post and thank you for clarifying. I will not talk to my steward or business agent about that, however, do I have a case if they changed my pay in the time card viewer? I'm asking this because last week all of my hours were shown as 20/hr until today where it changed to 15/hr. Do I have a point there?
No. They overpaid you for the week and corrected it before it hit paper. If they didn’t catch it, and you were paid at $20 an hour then you would owe that money back. They wouldn’t just shrug their shoulders and say “whoops! We overpaid you! That’s our fault, you can keep it.”

Frank888

interesting post. This is my first time working at UPS and I did not know that my pay could be reduced without any notice. I've worked other jobs before and they would tell me in advance.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
interesting post. This is my first time working at UPS and I did not know that my pay could be reduced without any notice. I've worked other jobs before and they would tell me in advance.
That’s the thing, they did let this information out. All the FT’ers here knew it was going back and it wasn’t even our money but for some reason the PT’ers just aren’t as informed. Especially if you’re new.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected

Definitely a dick move not to tell you. They were probably afraid if they told everybody they would all quit 😂

Jetboat1

Pay for showing up with a 100 bonus every week you work 5 days. Making taking a day off cost you 100 bucks. No bonus no show up 5 days. In fact its in part timers best interest to call in sick a lot and force the company to pay a bonus. 15 buck an hours for like 3.5 hours on Friday not in my best interest to show up.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
Pay for showing up with a 100 bonus every week you work 5 days. Making taking a day off cost you 100 bucks. No bonus no show up 5 days. In fact its in part timers best interest to call in sick a lot and force the company to pay a bonus. 15 buck an hours for like 3.5 hours on Friday not in my best interest to show up.
They would try to screw you and mark you no call

AKCoverMan

A lot of pro-management posts on here instead of pro-employee. How come they did not give me a new contract to sign? They could just reduce pay without any notice?
So did you actually sign a contract that said $20? I’m pretty sure the only contract that applies is the one with the lower, nationwide rate. In some areas UPS was not able to hire at contract starting rate so they offered a higher amount but they have no obligation to continue paying it. Not saying it’s been handled well I’m sure it hasn’t. But contract wise they can do it.

Frank888

I did understand that my pay would eventually be reduced, however, I did not know when it would be reduced. It seemed to me all of last week that I would get paid 20/hr and my time card viewer verified that for every day. Basically it was a retroactive pay cut and there was no advance notice.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
I did understand that my pay would eventually be reduced, however, I did not know when it would be reduced. It seemed to me all of last week that I would get paid 20/hr and my time card viewer verified that for every day. Basically it was a retroactive pay cut and there was no advance notice.

Time card viewer is often not accurate with pay rates. For example holidays etc. They still should have told you. But you can’t count on time card viewer reflecting your pay - it’s really only good for looking at hours. What matters is what is on the check.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
Article 22 Section 5
pointing-leonardo-di-caprio.gif

Commercial Inside Release

Timecard viewer not accurate is true... Until it is finalized on Wednesday.
That is when payroll runs adjustments, and magically, on Thursday your paycheck is pending in your account with (usually) the corrected amount. Paycodes outside your classification have to be adjusted by payroll. Usually, this situation works the opposite. The "bargaining unit member" works outside their classification, and expects extra pay, BUT OH NO! The correct payrate isn't showing in timecard viewer on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday... Oh, NO! Then if everything is inputted right, it is corrected to the right amount, and your pay is finalized and posted correctly.

This is exactly what happened to you, Frank888, but in the OPPOSITE way. Instead of adjusting your pay upwards, which is common, you are the lucky noob to get your pay adjusted DOWN.

BeachBoy

In my center, they had flyers advertising $23.50/hr. No disclaimer in fine print saying this was a temporary wage. I would think someone could argue the point that they have a duty to honor that agreement.
As of today, my center is still paying that wage to seniority pt workers. At the start of peak, they moved the new hires to $21.50, and they are still making that.
We are a very tight, competitive market with a high cost of living.

Superteeth2478

In my center, they had flyers advertising $23.50/hr. No disclaimer in fine print saying this was a temporary wage. I would think someone could argue the point that they have a duty to honor that agreement.
As of today, my center is still paying that wage to seniority pt workers. At the start of peak, they moved the new hires to $21.50, and they are still making that.
We are a very tight, competitive market with a high cost of living.
I really hope someone takes notice of that and is able to successfully file a lawsuit for it. It's highly unlikely that they'd win but it'd be nice to have the chance. It's pretty obvious UPS knows that it's essentially lying to people (or withholding information that would influence whether or not people will choose to work for UPS).