Pay for thanksgiving

AssistantSanta

What is going on here is that the center manager is trying to keep his spending down by having the the drivers not at full rate drive at time and half.
And who does not want to have someone do the same task for less? It makes perfect business sense. Use the most expensive labor or else... someone will whine?

Greetings, also while on the topic of holiday pay. I'm a new holiday driver assistant.
I was told by my driver that I'd get a check in Wedsneday then he said I could go to the hub and pick it up on Friday...

I drove out there this morning and it was closed.
What's the deal with that? Is that procedeure or is my driver lieing?
I mean who get's paid 3 days after payday?
I got mines on Wednesday but the check was post dated Friday, so I don't know if it would have been valid before Friday. I'm going to deposit that check and the one the Friday before on Monday.

It sucks they dropped the ball. Call the helper coordinator on Monday to remind them to send the driver with your check on Monday. I don't know what else you could do. Temps have to pay union dues, but they're not given the whine button, err grievance privilege.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have direct deposit. I didn't even bother to open mine.

dilli, have you thought about going paperless? Your pay advice is available on upsers.com Thursday mornings. I have had paperless direct since they first started offering this option. If I ever need a pay stub I simply print it off of upsers. The only one that I would really need would be the end of year for my taxes.

I find it funny when I watch all of the drivers wait for the envelope carrying the paychecks to come down the belt on Thursday morning. We even have a few of the oldtimers who still get paper checks.

By the time I get to work Thursday morning I have updated my Quicken and paid all of my bills.

Thanks UpstateNYUPSer... But it was not open.. I drove to the hub where I had orientation as well as filled out paperwork.. They were not open, empty parking lots, no security, customer center closed.
This is in Chamblee, GA.. I'm not even sure when or if they'll be open today. It's nearly 20 miles one way.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thanks UpstateNYUPSer... But it was not open.. I drove to the hub where I had orientation as well as filled out paperwork.. They were not open, empty parking lots, no security, customer center closed.
This is in Chamblee, GA.. I'm not even sure when or if they'll be open today. It's nearly 20 miles one way.

I would be awfully surprised if anyone would be there today. When you call or when they call you Monday ask your helper coordinator to have your driver bring your check with him.

My assignment has been in a mall.. My driver brought my first check with him. I hope he brings it Monday.
I'm still not at all pleased about this.. We took these minimum wage pt jobs because we obviously needed the income..

I have children and need gas in my car, etc,. I should've been paid or made aware of who to call or where to go for my check. Im in day 3 of a 4 day weekend and have not been paid for the days I worked... Monday is not gonna change anything. It's just me back at ups slinging boxes with a check in my back pocket..& 40 miles of gas wasted.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
dilli, have you thought about going paperless? Your pay advice is available on upsers.com Thursday mornings. I have had paperless direct since they first started offering this option. If I ever need a pay stub I simply print it off of upsers. The only one that I would really need would be the end of year for my taxes.

I find it funny when I watch all of the drivers wait for the envelope carrying the paychecks to come down the belt on Thursday morning. We even have a few of the oldtimers who still get paper checks.

By the time I get to work Thursday morning I have updated my Quicken and paid all of my bills.
No, I haven't and probably never will. I have every pay stub since I started working for UPS and there has been a couple of times that having those pay stubs have been a huge benefit, as much as a year later. :happy2: ​It's just a 'me' thing.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
My assignment has been in a mall.. My driver brought my first check with him. I hope he brings it Monday.
I'm still not at all pleased about this.. We took these minimum wage pt jobs because we obviously needed the income..

I have children and need gas in my car, etc,. I should've been paid or made aware of who to call or where to go for my check. Im in day 3 of a 4 day weekend and have not been paid for the days I worked... Monday is not gonna change anything. It's just me back at ups slinging boxes with a check in my back pocket..& 40 miles of gas wasted.
That's true but it is a lesson learned. Sorry for the inconvience, I do understand how difficult it is.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
No, I haven't and probably never will. I have every pay stub since I started working for UPS and there has been a couple of times that having those pay stubs have been a huge benefit, as much as a year later. :happy2: ​It's just a 'me' thing.

Those paystubs do come in handy once in a while! It got me another week of pension credits during our last strike. Was on vacation during one of the weeks we were on the picket line. After my annual call to the union to make sure my pension credits were correct, I discovered that UPS had shorted me that week. A simple grievance form and the paystub got them to fix the shortage. Had a coworker who didn't keep his paystubs lose that week of pension credit because he could not PROVE he was on vacation then!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
@ dilligaf... Thanks for your sympathy but what's the lesson I should've/should learn from this?
Plan ahead. :whiteflag: I'm not trying to cause a fight here. Maybe you should have asked ahead of time. Everyone knows that the holidays screw up many things. Mail delivery, garbage pick up, businesses being closed, payroll, etc. It's just part of day to day life. We got our paychecks on Wednesday. Why you didn't get yours, I have no idea. Your driver should have brought it to you. Have you worked for more than 2 weeks?

@ dilligaf.. Not looking for a fight.. This is week 3 for me. My driver didn't have my check last Friday and had to bring it to me Friday night. I Asked on Monday and he said we'd have them Wedsneday.
Well on Wedsneday morning he called me ( 4 times)while I was in the shower and asked if I could come in at 10.... It was 9:30. :sad-little: I oblidged and after my first hour I asked for my check and if he'd spoken to his manager about my " Orientation Pay" he gave me some mumble jumbo about what his manager said..

He then proceeded to say " We don't get paid until Friday" Then he told me that usually it's Wedsneday before Thanksgiving but it'll be available for pickup at the hub. I went all the way there to two empty parking lots and dark buildings... THIS is somebodies fault and it ain't mines..

Never in my life have I worked for a company that you cannot call a supervisor or manager/Payroll/HR directly.
We received nothing at orientation with names & numbers of immediate supervisors, emergency contacts, payroll dates & info, nor any list of nearby medical centers in case of injury.
It was just " Your driver will be your liasion" and will fill you in on anything you need to know.., yeah right.
:dissapointed:

As previously stated... I did my part and do not see where I could've done anything more based on what I've just explained.. If you know of anything else that could've been done then please enlighten me.

Thanks.. :whiteflag:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
@ dilligaf.. Not looking for a fight.. This is week 3 for me. My driver didn't have my check last Friday and had to bring it to me Friday night. I Asked on Monday and he said we'd have them Wedsneday.
Well on Wedsneday morning he called me ( 4 times)while I was in the shower and asked if I could come in at 10.... It was 9:30. :sad-little: I oblidged and after my first hour I asked for my check and if he'd spoken to his manager about my " Orientation Pay" he gave me some mumble jumbo about what his manager said..

He then proceeded to say " We don't get paid until Friday" Then he told me that usually it's Wedsneday before Thanksgiving but it'll be available for pickup at the hub. I went all the way there to two empty parking lots and dark buildings... THIS is somebodies fault and it ain't mines..

Never in my life have I worked for a company that you cannot call a supervisor or manager/Payroll/HR directly.
We received nothing at orientation with names & numbers of immediate supervisors, emergency contacts, payroll dates & info, nor any list of nearby medical centers in case of injury.
It was just " Your driver will be your liasion" and will fill you in on anything you need to know.., yeah right.
:dissapointed:

As previously stated... I did my part and do not see where I could've done anything more based on what I've just explained.. If you know of anything else that could've been done then please enlighten me.

Thanks.. :whiteflag:
You are right, it is someones fault. Not yours. I can't say why you didn't get paid Wednesday and you seem to have done everything possible to find out about your check. In my area, jumpers have access to mgt as well as their drivers. In fact most jumpers will work for several different drivers, sometimes in the same day.

We don't have direct access to payroll though. All payroll issues have to go through local mgt. I can offer nothing further. Sorry.

AssistantSanta

If you have a pay-stub with your employee ID, you can open up an account on UPsers.com (a site I learned from here, thanks browncafe)
Once you're there, there is a "direct deposit" option in "edit profile" button right next to Welcome (your name here).

You could also view your paychecks there that's already been generated even if you haven't received it. From there, you can decide if its something you should just wait or just wait until Monday or Tuesday.

Last edited: