Pay Off Mortgage?

MassWineGuy

Should we pay off our mortgage before retiring? My wife is retiring fully by August. I’ll keep working another couple of years or so, depending on how awful Express gets.

Payoff balance: $116,700
Monthly payment: $1,635 (increases periodically)

Current retirement funds: approx. $1-million, not including Social Security.

Should we pay off our mortgage before retiring? My wife is retiring fully by August. I’ll keep working another couple of years or so, depending on how awful Express gets.

Hats your interest rate?

AB831

I would and then I’d quit FedEx and get a job that doesn’t hate its employees.

Lates

With the interest rate that low you be probably making more money with it invested. But I’d get with financial advisor and they could go over the different scenarios.

Last edited:

Up In Smoke

Are you a contractor? If so, how is your business structured? Are you a LLC, S Corp, C Corp, partnership with your wife or owner operator?

Up In Smoke

Not an independent contractor. Wage slave for FedEx. My wife made the real money.
In that case, hold your mortgage and continue to fund your retirement while your working. I would look into placing all your wealth into a trust to protect it from extended care costs as you age.

DriverNerd

With a rate below three I'd pay it off as you go. How much of your mortgage payment is actually for the mortgage? If it's not an adjustable rate mortgage and you say it keeps going up means you are paying your insurance and taxes with it. Those are payments you're still going to have to make. If you're far enough along you're also probably not paying that much in interest per month. I know it feels good not to have a big debt payment every month, but with low rates and the fact you will still be working I'd let your retirement money keep growing.

Disclaimer: I'm not a financial advisor.

MassWineGuy

Conventional mortgage. Most of the payment goes toward principal, then interest and escrow. I pay my own home insurance.

Payments increase each time the town makes major expenditures.