Pay Off Mortgage?

Up In Smoke

Have your wife start a side hustle and use the house as a home office or 280A tax deduction. Pay your mortgage as a business expense against it.

Cheesypurpletees

Pay it off. Equities have had a nice run up this year. A little hedge against this possible “recession” over the next 12 months having the $116k invested in your home

Commercial Inside Release

Pay your mortgage as a business expense against it.
As I suspected. We know where to look, if you go missing.

Back in the late 80s, stuff like this was twisted into a big deal by glossy entrepreneurial magazines... Until the crackdown came. There is always a crackdown, eventually. Local governments are already squeezing their citizens... The Feds will, too. Soon.

Up In Smoke

As I suspected. We know where to look, if you go missing.

Back in the late 80s, stuff like this was twisted into a big deal by glossy entrepreneurial magazines... Until the crackdown came. There is always a crackdown, eventually. Local governments are already squeezing their citizens... The Feds will, too. Soon.
I believe 280A was signed into law in the 80's. My wife and I utilize it and the home office whenever the accountant says it's proper.

Up In Smoke

I could go back to having my own freelance writing business. I believe you can claim five years of losses until you have to stop.
Best side hustle that I have witnessed is a retired driver sets "For Sale" yard signs for a real estate company in our area. The company has 50+ agents and he gets $50 for each job. The best part is he deducts his truck, trailer, home (garage) and storage units.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Hookers and blow?
Average inflation rate over the past 30 years is higher than his interest rate. Realistically, the real inflation rate is much higher. Most predictions I'm hearing is higher for longer.

The peace of mind from not having a mortgage payment comes at a high opportunity cost.

Straight math, it's an easy decision, keep the mortgage. Measuring the value of that peace of mind is going to be different for everyone.

Average inflation rate over the past 30 years is higher than his interest rate. Realistically, the real inflation rate is much higher. Most predictions I'm hearing is higher for longer.

The peace of mind from not having a mortgage payment comes at a high opportunity cost.

Straight math, it's an easy decision, keep the mortgage. Measuring the value of that peace of mind is going to be different for everyone.
What happens if he's all invested in stocks in the market goes down 35%?

If he has a million dollars in his 401k he could take a 3% withdrawal right now, one in January 2024 and one in January of 2025 and probably have his house paid off and his funds would still have the opportunity to grow

But I do agree with you at 2.99%. there's no hurry to pay off the debt

MassWineGuy

Best side hustle that I have witnessed is a retired driver sets "For Sale" yard signs for a real estate company in our area. The company has 50+ agents and he gets $50 for each job. The best part is he deducts his truck, trailer, home (garage) and storage units.

I’ve got to look into that.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
What happens if he's all invested in stocks in the market goes down 35%?
Nothing if he doesn't need to take it out.
If he has a million dollars in his 401k he could take a 3% withdrawal right now, one in January 2024 and one in January of 2025 and probably have his house paid off and his funds would still have the opportunity to grow
There's really no reason to pay it off now or in 3 years. The market typically recovers from a recession within a year.

He can mitigate sequence of withdrawal risk with something as simple as a CD ladder while he keeps the vast majority of his retirement money in higher return investments.