Pay Off Mortgage?

SmithBarney

Your money will earn more than the 2.99% you are currently paying.
Imagine you had 120k in a CD, current CD rates are almost 5.5%

So my advisor would say keep your money, keep paying normally.

Empty Pockets

The question seems simple when you just look at numbers, but the numbers do not tell all. How many of y'all suggesting to invest the money paid off your mortgage? Paying off 100 grand of mortgage is about a 100 grand savings over the duration of the mortgage. It is easy to say one way or the other but how many of you have been in that situation and chose? I was in that situation and chose to pay off mortgage and I am not a slave to the lender. Paying off your mortgage gives you a sense of freedom that you will never feel again, like "Chasing the dragon." The advice I was giving was exactly what I did and would do again. Talk to a financial professional. If it was such a good deal, everyone would be taking out second mortgages on their home to invest.

It will be fine

The question seems simple when you just look at numbers, but the numbers do not tell all. How many of y'all suggesting to invest the money paid off your mortgage? Paying off 100 grand of mortgage is about a 100 grand savings over the duration of the mortgage. It is easy to say one way or the other but how many of you have been in that situation and chose? I was in that situation and chose to pay off mortgage and I am not a slave to the lender. Paying off your mortgage gives you a sense of freedom that you will never feel again, like "Chasing the dragon." The advice I was giving was exactly what I did and would do again. Talk to a financial professional. If it was such a good deal, everyone would be taking out second mortgages on their home to invest.
You can’t get 3% on a second mortgage right now. Investing money at a higher rate of return than you borrowed it for is the foundation of the entire banking system. I’m pretty sure most banks turn a profit. Profit is good.

DriverNerd

The question seems simple when you just look at numbers, but the numbers do not tell all. How many of y'all suggesting to invest the money paid off your mortgage? Paying off 100 grand of mortgage is about a 100 grand savings over the duration of the mortgage. It is easy to say one way or the other but how many of you have been in that situation and chose? I was in that situation and chose to pay off mortgage and I am not a slave to the lender. Paying off your mortgage gives you a sense of freedom that you will never feel again, like "Chasing the dragon." The advice I was giving was exactly what I did and would do again. Talk to a financial professional.
A lot of people do indeed pay off their mortgages early. They like the feeling of no debt. It is still not a good long term investment strategy.

If it was such a good deal, everyone would be taking out second mortgages on their home to invest.
People don't take out second mortgages to invest because there's closing costs that are thousands of dollars.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
If they are sacrificing potential gains just for the feels of being debt free, yes. Taking cash to pay off a 3% debt right now is bad advice, they could gain more with virtually no risk when basic saving accounts are paying 4%.
The reason Dave Ramsey's advice is good for most people is because they won't invest or save the money if they don't pay it on their mortgage. They'll just spend more.

Artee

You can’t get 3% on a second mortgage right now. Investing money at a higher rate of return than you borrowed it for is the foundation of the entire banking system. I’m pretty sure most banks turn a profit. Profit is good.
Look how many people tried to pretend they were banks back in 2005-06. Borrowed money out of their 401k's, took seconds out on their homes, all to purchase another house or two. Gotta put that money to work. The one thing people forget is you don't get the same protections and bailouts from the government that banks do. Their risk is very little compared to yours.

By 2009 I had two co-workers who had well worth of a million plus in real estate in 2007, walk away from everything. One guy walked away from two rentals and his primary along with $250k he had taken from his 401k. Starting all over at 46 years old. Here he is at 60 and is making payments on his two bedroom condo and trying to save every penny possible so he can retire in a few years.

Artee

People don't take out second mortgages to invest because there's closing costs that are thousands of dollars.
What about the thousands of dollars a year people pay in interest on the primary mortgage, year after year, just for the privilege of having a mortgage.

Thebrownblob

Until I get the property tax bill I guess.
Don't pay your taxes, see how long that house belongs to you. Not exactly "freedom".
Lifetime of taxes, all you really own is the pleasure of giving the government money every year till you die and perhaps if the market is right, you’ll make some money if you sell it.

It will be fine

Look how many people tried to pretend they were banks back in 2005-06. Borrowed money out of their 401k's, took seconds out on their homes, all to purchase another house or two. Gotta put that money to work. The one thing people forget is you don't get the same protections and bailouts from the government that banks do. Their risk is very little compared to yours.

By 2009 I had two co-workers who had well worth of a million plus in real estate in 2007, walk away from everything. One guy walked away from two rentals and his primary along with $250k he had taken from his 401k. Starting all over at 46 years old. Here he is at 60 and is making payments on his two bedroom condo and trying to save every penny possible so he can retire in a few years.
Cool story. This discussion is about what to do with cash. Paying down a 3% loan when you can get 4% in a basic savings account or 5.5% in a CD is not anywhere close to buying real estate in terms of risk.

Commercial Inside Release

Those CDs come with risk... Be sure to read the fine print, which you'll probably have to beg to get. Fees, more fees, automatic roll over to some really low rate... And the worst, the 5.5% can be revoked on many.

High interest savings accounts are starting to appear... 4% and you can deposit & withdraw at will.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Those CDs come with risk... Be sure to read the fine print, which you'll probably have to beg to get. Fees, more fees, automatic roll over to some really low rate... And the worst, the 5.5% can be revoked on many.

High interest savings accounts are starting to appear... 4% and you can deposit & withdraw at will.
Well, Discover is paying 4.15% on FDIC insured savings accounts, with no fees.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Your money will earn more than the 2.99% you are currently paying.
Imagine you had 120k in a CD, current CD rates are almost 5.5%

So my advisor would say keep your money, keep paying normally.

You'd tie up $120k for a difference of 2.51%? It's even less than that after factoring in inflation.

If I've got $120k and that takes care of the mortgage, I pay it off tomorrow. If I want I can invest what my mortgage payment was (and then some) into something that would throw off a hell of a lot more than a CD.

It will be fine

You'd tie up $120k for a difference of 2.51%? It's even less than that after factoring in inflation.

If I've got $120k and that takes care of the mortgage, I pay it off tomorrow. If I want I can invest what my mortgage payment was (and then some) into something that would throw off a hell of a lot more than a CD.
And be worse off than just investing the $120k to begin with. This is so simple, the fact that you are arguing for clearing a very low interest loan is strange. I took you for smarter than that.

DriverNerd

What about the thousands of dollars a year people pay in interest on the primary mortgage, year after year, just for the privilege of having a mortgage.
We're talking about mortgages with low rates vs investments. If you have a higher rate it would be best to pay it off sooner.

Gone fishin

If you pay off your house around retirement age 64,65,66 your retirement money should be about complete. Investing is mostly done.
Enjoy it

Artee

Cool story. This discussion is about what to do with cash. Paying down a 3% loan when you can get 4% in a basic savings account or 5.5% in a CD is not anywhere close to buying real so estate in terms of risk.
So you think you're making big money on the spread of the 3%, your paying in a mortgage and the 4% to 5% you're making in a CD? That's small ball chump change. Technically you are making money, but the juice just isn't worth the squeeze. Especially when you are retired. You want a mortgage hanging over your head once you retired? And then you're going to tie up the money that could have paid off your mortgage for 12 months in a CD for a 1% net return? Where do I sign up for that cool story 🙄

It will be fine

So you think you're making big money on the spread of the 3%, your paying in a mortgage and the 4% to 5% you're making in a CD? That's small ball chump change. Technically you are making money, but the juice just isn't worth the squeeze. Especially when you are retired. You want a mortgage hanging over your head once you retired? And then you're going to tie up the money that could have paid off your mortgage for 12 months in a CD for a 1% net return? Where do I sign up for that cool story 🙄
Math can be hard. Don’t feel bad, if you put your mind to it it’ll make sense eventually.

Up In Smoke

Math can be hard. Don’t feel bad, if you put your mind to it it’ll make sense eventually.
It's simple math. A 10 year mortgage for 120K will cost $1160.00 per month for P&I. That mortgage will cost you 19K in interest over the course of the 10 year term. During that same term your 120K in savings at a 5% yearly return nets you 98K in interest. That's a 78K net return on investment over 10 years or 8K per year or $666.00 per month on average. If you pay off the 120K and invest the payment of $1160.00 per month over the course of 10 years at 5% interest, your total interest earned will be 43K. By holding onto his current mortgage and letting his investment mature he will see a net increase in savings of 35K or $291.00 per month.

Artee

It's simple math. A 10 year mortgage for 120K will cost $1160.00 per month for P&I. That mortgage will cost you 19K in interest over the course of the 10 year term. During that same term your 120K in savings at a 5% yearly return nets you 98K in interest. That's a 78K net return on investment over 10 years or 8K per year or $666.00 per month on average. If you pay off the 120K and invest the payment of $1160.00 per month over the course of 10 years at 5% interest, your total interest earned will be 43K. By holding onto his current mortgage and letting his investment mature he will see a net increase in savings of 35K or $291.00 per month.
The problem is everyone situation is different. You assumed this person had a 10 year mortgage. Most people have a 30 year mortgage and the beginning balance is going to be much higher than $120k. Therefore the P&I is going to be higher.

You example is very simple. All you are looking at is interest. You are ignoring the $1160/mo investment every month for 10 years that the person would be making by not having a mortgage now. There is also more that can be taken into account, but that will vary upon person to person and their situation.

if you pay off mortgage and invest that $1160/mo for 120 months @5% you will end up at $173k.
If you don't pay off mortgage and put $120k into an investment that will pay you 5% for 120 months you will end up at $182k
So you made $9k more over the 120 months for an average of $75/mo
Now you have to subtract out the $19k in mortgage interest you had to pay
Suddenly I am better off by $10k. The gap would be even wider because the mortgage amount would have been even higher meaning the $1160 monthly investment would be more and the interest would have been more than $19k.