#payupUPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bizaddy

Call the Department of Labor wages division. UPS doesn't want any government agency looking into their business.
Thanks--this is really helpful! I knew it was against the law, but I didn't know what to tell my son he should do about it. When he's able to focus better, (tomorrow, I hope), he can get on the phone and call them.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
giphy.gif
tumblr_mm1lj66ET81s8lzgwo1_250.gif

bizaddy

Yes they will help scab workers just like teamsters if your son is in a right to work state which, it sounds like he is in. Son needs to speak to the steward no matter what, there is a contract in place that covers payroll discrepancies like the one you noted.

A "scab" is someone who is brought in to break a strike or who crosses a picket line to work when others are on strike. We come from generations of shop rats, so maybe I'm a little oversensitive, but he's hardly a "scab." It would be great if the contract was strong enough to prevent the company from hiring almost everyone at his Center on a temporary basis at first, but that isn't how it works. He is/was well on his was to being permanent and joining the union, but temporary workers aren't allowed to join--or at least that's what he was told. Thanks for the encouragement about speaking to the steward--I'll be sure to let him know, because he's been told before that the union won't help the "temporary" workers.

UPSGUY72

UPS Distribution Center of Howell, in violation of Michigan law, has not paid my son for over two weeks--and he's not the only one! He is supposed to get paid weekly, on Friday, and they are now two checks behind and telling him "maybe" they can pay him this Wednesday or "probably" this Friday. They won't take responsibility for the overdraft fees this has caused him to accrue due to bills that are automatically paid from his account and are uninterested in the damage this may be doing to his credit rating. One of his supervisors had told him that they might have a check for him tonight, (Monday) but he's home sick, so I said I'd go in to the Center to get it for him. Then he got a text saying no, once again they have no check. But now he's panicking because he's got more bills coming in this week and no way to pay the overdrafts he already has, and the fees are going to just keep accumulating. So I said I'd go in and ask what's going on.

Chris, the manager I spoke with, was dismissive and, in my opinion, rude--smirking and condescending throughout our conversation, stopping just short of eye-rolling. The problem was caused in the first place by an error in payroll and by repeated errors in the HR department--Chris never once apologized on behalf of UPS or offered any solution for making whole the damage or violation of the law. I don't know how UPS can get away with treating its employees this way. My son isn't a member of the union yet, because he's only worked there a few weeks (and now I can't see why he'd want to stay), so there's no one to protect him from these people. I've already loaned him what I can, and our rent is due soon, and we're really in a bind, now. I always used to think UPS was a good company, but I guess I know better, now.

How old is your son ? He needs to call his SUP or HR person and find out what going on sick or not better yet drag his A-- to work and talk to someone in person. It's time that he starts taking a little more responsibility for his future. Also he doesn't have to be in the union yet to ask a Steward for help about not getting paid. The only things that not being in the union yet means is that he is still a at will employee meaning they can let him go for any reason and the union can't fight for him to keep his job.

FYI This is why you don't live pay check to pay check... If your son is living pay check to pay check he needs to start living within his means or go find another job to go with the two he already has.

Last edited:

bizaddy

Thanks to those of you who offered the info about the shop steward and contacting the State of MI. These are useful suggestions that I can give my son--he hasn't been in a situation like this before, and he's already talked to his supervisor, that supervisor's supervisor, and so on, and they were all really frustrated with the situation, too--none of them had the ability to get payroll or HR to do anything for him. I appreciate those of you who took the situation seriously and who didn't care which one of us felt well enough to go ask questions at the Center and get on the Internet tonight, because the situation is getting really serious really quickly for us. Neither of us asked to be paying off big, unexpected medical bills, and right now we pretty much just sleep and work and worry about money. So this has thrown us for a loop. Now that I have some helpful ideas, I'm not going to check back on this thread, because the circle jerk happening here among some of you is just too depressing.

UPSGUY72

Thanks to those of you who offered the info about the shop steward and contacting the State of MI. These are useful suggestions that I can give my son--he hasn't been in a situation like this before, and he's already talked to his supervisor, that supervisor's supervisor, and so on, and they were all really frustrated with the situation, too--none of them had the ability to get payroll or HR to do anything for him. I appreciate those of you who took the situation seriously and who didn't care which one of us felt well enough to go ask questions at the Center and get on the Internet tonight, because the situation is getting really serious really quickly for us. Neither of us asked to be paying off big, unexpected medical bills, and right now we pretty much just sleep and work and worry about money. So this has thrown us for a loop. Now that I have some helpful ideas, I'm not going to check back on this thread, because the circle jerk happening here among some of you is just too depressing.

If he has talked to he SUP and HR person and hasn't gotten the problem fixed he needs to talk to his center manager (center manager) all that it takes is one phone call to fix the problem and ultimately the center manager is responsible.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I think you need to go above the local management's head. Is the Pope still here? Never mind. Like someone said, the last thing UPS wants is the govt involved in their business, and this is just the kind of thing some agencies would be willing to help out on. If the stewart won't help, keep going up. BTW, when you get up there, would you ask them about that leather Circle of Honor jacket they beat me out of back in 2001? Good luck.:clover:

PT Car Washer

I really hate to bring this up but since your son is still in his first 30 days kicking up a big ruckus and calling in sick is not going to help him qualify. He really is at the mercy of his manger if he wants to keep working. Rotten deal but that is the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.