Peak is here! How are you doing???

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In the management grind now 19 days straight without a day off....information flowing faster then i can absorb it all... plans changing daily....company now talking about shutting down all but a few hubs the day after christmas with no ground pickups that day....I need about 8 hours of quiet time to sit down and read and reread all the changing plans....tempers getting short......stupid management logic being applied as I constantly saw people using volume trends from the past week or month to predict this weeks volume levels...do they understand its peak?....todays is national free shipping day will it create a last minute surge on monday?....more information flowing..plans changed again.....voice mails off the hook......woa recieved two vm's in one day where the plans changed in each....air volume now getting heavy....woa equipment war over air trailers never seen that one before......ravens playing dallas saturday hope I stay awake....uh oh weather man using the dirty word for the east coast.... please no snow I hate delivering on xmas day......plans changed again.....customers calling wanting to know why their packages are late. Do they know about relaxed service?.....plans changed again.....have to train IE sups to help them learn how to help me.....deer accidents.....plans changed again.......two solid days of rain generated thirty red tagged trailers sitting in the yard with leaking roofs......plans changed again.......yard accidents increasing this month, district manager can't understand why apparently never seen peak congestion..conference calls to discuss the changing plans changed to a day earlier......contractors in the yard that looked like the soggy bottom boys.....plans changed again...corporate automotive actually thought they could simultaneously mandate a no red tags sitting/ no mechanics working overtime policy....plans changed again......dreamed about loading packages in a trailer have not done that in a while...dang plans changed again...sigh.........have a great peak everyone.:happy-very:

Aahhhh, Yes!
I miss the good old days in Ops. Not!

Got my own problems with pickup data in Europe ... Up at 2 am and worked till 9 pm 2 days this week (over 70 hrs for the week) but it is still tame compared to peak in package.

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
OMG seriously.......I'm so glad peak day is over. I just got my clock cleaned by 2000 packages in my area. Our building was only expecting 64000 packages total and we ended up getting 84000! My slide hasn't been that dirty since I was in my pt preload progression...

herbigharo32

Holding my own in small sorts :happy-very: It's really not that hard as long as you pace yourself. I know working on the feeder docks is much more difficult.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
We've had record snowfall in Spokane this year (again) and it has basically shut the city down. Once the roads are cleared (again) we have a huge turd to flush out, so our peak wont end till the first week of January. Well, at least now that the winter solstice is over, the days will start to get progressively longer from here on out!

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
Worked 10.25 hours today, hopefully tomorrow will be a little lighter, and Wednesday will certainly be! I also found out today that I don't have to drive Friday, and since I have seniority for Saturday air I'm going to take that day off. That's about the only thing I'll have the seniority for.... for a really really long time hahahah. Hope you guys are all hanging in there, we're almost through it! :) I'm ready to break out the Santa hat.

As a DH, I got 35 hours in last week, pretty cool. My Driver had 59.9 hours, I believe.

Today we had 330 scheduled stops, don't know how many packages, my driver put in about 11 hours and I put in 8. We had to drive slow because of the snow on the ground and ended up giving away about 70 stops to 2 other very cool drivers.

The big issue here in Chicagoland today was the cold - when I started at noon, the temp was -3 with a wind chill of about -25... the wind eventually died down about 6 pm but the temp was still about 0. Fair to say, pretty miserable conditions!

Peace out, Rod

97 stops
97+ packages (didn't even look at that stat)
315 miles
clocked in at 8:45, out 21:35

Pretty much a normal day for the last three weeks. Although the major difference in this and the last three months is the ratio of intown stops to routes. The routes are up by 50-75%

Oh I forgot to add, even though we started @ 8:45, we didn't get out of the building till 9:30. Why preload can't be wrapped up on Mondays is beyond my comprehension.

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Cold, miserable week. No worse than any year. Snow wise we have been super lucky, but that 0 degree stuff kills me.
Had a jumper a few times for 2 hrs, but not trained enough to help, actually slowed me down at times. Id rather be alone.
So nice to have it almost over, although, I still love PEAK. Leaving Christmas Morning for my first ever Christmas with the Grandkids, in warm sunny Wisconsin:whiteflag:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Cold, miserable week. No worse than any year. Snow wise we have been super lucky, but that 0 degree stuff kills me.
Had a jumper a few times for 2 hrs, but not trained enough to help, actually slowed me down at times. Id rather be alone.
So nice to have it almost over, although, I still love PEAK. Leaving Christmas Morning for my first ever Christmas with the Grandkids, in warm sunny Wisconsin:whiteflag:

Welcome to paradise. We should have about a foot of fresh new snow for you when you get up here. I'm writing a new Christmas song. It's called I'M HAVING NIGHTMARES OF A WHITE CHRISTMAS.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
well, yesterday, twilight shift (reload) ran from 4pm to a little past midnight. There's now a total of about 30,000 undelivered packages in Spokane. And they said that there was going to be no new snow accumulation today, but it's been snowing all day. Tomorrow it's suppose to snow another foot. That would make almost 3 1/2 feet of snow this year. Unheard of for Spokane. We have plenty of plows, but not the budget to use them to this degree. They ran out of snow plow budget in the first week of snow. They of course have to use emergency funds to keep the streets plowed. The weather this year has been anything but warm. I guess with global warming comes global cooling.

Last day of peak. Out with one trailer,back with one. Off the clock in 9.5 hours before the real weather hit. Off the rest of the week. Don`t get much better.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
163 stops 377 pkgs delivered, 30 stops 54 pkgs picked up. Only reason I got overtime this week was because of a safety meeting. Other than this I haven't worked over 8hrs all week. What peak?