Peak. Management drops the ball.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
There is a flip side to that coin.

Lets say I dont sheet that pkg up as EC, instead lets say I "go for it" and try to get down that snow-covered driveway to make service on it since its "more than likely" that I can deliver it.

What happens if I get stuck? What happens if I tear up the customers driveway...or slide a few inches and break my mirror on a tree branch?

My dedication to making service will be rewarded...with a warning or suspension letter for an "avoidable accident", as well as a condescending lecture about "safety" methods and a regurgitation of the ten point commentary.

Damned if I do, damned if I dont.

And as far as calling the number on the package...UPS does not supply me with a phone, it does not even offer to compensate me for use of my airtime, and does not allow any time for making phone calls as part of the delivery process. Despite all of that I still wind up using my phone for work purposes, but it is on my terms and under no circumstances will I ever allow use of my phone to become an expectation on the company's part.
Sober, using EC as a legitimate reason to not deliver is one thing. If there is any doubt what so ever about getting to the delivery point and getting back then EC how it gets sheeted.

Using EC when the weather is clear and the roads are passable is not ok.

I applaud the use of EC as a safety measure.

I despise the use of EC as a dispatch tool, whether by mgt or by a driver. Yes, I said by a driver. We all have at least one in our centers. The one who says "I don't feel like going down that road today, I won't bother calling the phone number on the pkg to try to make an alternate delivery, I will use the weather as an excuse" and sheets a package that more than likely could have been delivered as an EC.
We have a senior driver that does this occasionally. :angry:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The place has managed to stay afloat for over 100 years. Everyone should relax and keep accepting those blue and white envelopes each week.

The easiest thing for me to do....would be to stop giving a damn.

It would be really easy to just show up, clock on, shut my brain off, and do what I'm told...no matter how stupid or counterproductive that might be....then collect my paycheck, and go home.

I'm just not made that way.

Most of the complaints and frustrations I hear are not because people hate the job...its because they care.

The most frustrating thing about a UPS career isnt the hard work or long hours or harsh conditions...its the wasted potential. There are so many problems that would be so easy to solve if only there was someone with both the common sense and authority to solve them.

tarbar66

The easiest thing for me to do....would be to stop giving a damn.

It would be really easy to just show up, clock on, shut my brain off, and do what I'm told...no matter how stupid or counterproductive that might be....then collect my paycheck, and go home.

I'm just not made that way.

Most of the complaints and frustrations I hear are not because people hate the job...its because they care.

The most frustrating thing about a UPS career isnt the hard work or long hours or harsh conditions...its the wasted potential. There are so many problems that would be so easy to solve if only there was someone with both the common sense and authority to solve them.

In my opinion you win the prize today for the best post! I would guess there are at least 75,000 UPSer's that feel the same as you.

Why are most of the problems caused by someone trying to make a name for theirself with a new "Flavor of the Month"?

We have a simple business that too many people have tried to fix when it was not broken!

D

Dis-organized Labor

In my opinion you win the prize today for the best post! I would guess there are at least 75,000 UPSer's that feel the same as you.

Why are most of the problems caused by someone trying to make a name for theirself with a new "Flavor of the Month"?

We have a simple business that too many people have tried to fix when it was not broken!
I have been seeing this in management at UPS for 22 years and at the airlines for 8 prior to coming here . It is people that are out to make a few more bucks and they can't get them by doing what they are supposed to do WELL. So, they come up with all kinds of "Initiatives" that really add no value and they think it impresses the higher ups. Well, higher up, there are people like them that want to build their inner circle.
Those that "give a damn" in management are looked over because they are operating counter to the efforts of the jerks making stupid decisions. Not the case all the time, but frequently.

Been around many peek seasons and during everyone of them the company dropped the ball. The fun thing each year was seeing which area they would drop the ball in, but rest assured it would in deed be dropped. Most of the time I think it was above the center team mishandling the plans, but what difference does it make who is to blame. Screwed up is screwed up.

over9five

Staff member
Speaking of dropping the ball:

Every day we bring a delivery trailer to a mall that Package drivers deliver. Package requested that we leave the yard with this trailer at 7am sharp.

When Preload finishes early, they pull a lot of PCs out of the building so drivers can just jump in them and leave, missing the congestion.

Guess what trailer they blocked in with PCs with no keys in them?

P

pickup

Violations may result in:

1. A driver being shut-down (placed out-of-service) until he/she has accumulated enough off- duty time to comply with the rules. 2. Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) fines (driver or carrier) of between $550 to $11,000 per violation.
3. State and local law enforcement fines.
4. Downgrading of a carrier’s safety rating.
5. Federal criminal penalties for knowingly and willfully allowing or requiring hours of service

This is why they stress, be professional, know the rules.

I have a question, since the package car drivers are not c.d.l. drivers. Why are they subject to the friend.M.C.S.A's . Is an ice cream truck driver(similar size truck) subject to said regulations? Do you guys keep a log of your hours? One that can be shown to the D.O.T. on demand?

rod

Retired 22 years
I have a question, since the package car drivers are not c.d.l. drivers. Why are they subject to the friend.M.C.S.A's . Is an ice cream truck driver(similar size truck) subject to said regulations? Do you guys keep a log of your hours? One that can be shown to the D.O.T. on demand?

Good question. I know when the Schwans company places an ad in the paper for "route drivers" they say "must be willng to work at least 70 hours a week". What I do know is that I was sure glad we package drivers were limited to 60--thats plenty.

P

pickup

Good question. I know when the Schwans company places an ad in the paper for "route drivers" they say "must be willng to work at least 70 hours a week". What I do know is that I was sure glad we package drivers were limited to 60--thats plenty.

they can easily go to 70 hours in 8 days rule as opposed to the 60 hours in 7 days rule , as long as a dispatcher is on duty on sunday, even though they wouldn't need him that day but basically they can ram more hours onto you guys in the 5 days you work. Do you guys have the 34 hour restart rule as well?