Peak Miscalculation

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Obviously, FedEx has badly mis-calculated peak volumes, and it's much busier than planned. The strategy to deal with that? That would be no plan at all. No runners, no casuals. no cartage agents. Just work harder, be safe, take your breaks, and don't expect any more money.

And on December 27th, they don't want to even see you unless your station has a pile of Code 1's. Same old crap from the same dysfunctional leadership. Why would we expect anything else?

mungrin

Banned
Hell yeah.All week I come into work and there are no trucks available and we even rented 5 vans and still dont have enough, not too mention the trucks we do have are all broken down and junky.The truck i drove today was falling apart

FedExer267

Wow this sounds alot like Ground. Too much volume, work safe minus the breaks and lunches, work 14 hours with no breaks no lunches which is ilegal in alot of states the only thing they make sure of that its been 10 hours since we punched out. Definatley dont expect anymore money and well we have junky smog filled trucks 365 days of the year.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
BTW i am use to coming during peak and having to wait for trucks but never this early.

They've totally blown-it. And you're spot-on with the observation that it's never been this early. It will be interesting to see how management fails to respond to the situation.

mungrin

Banned
we have trucks that will roll down a hill in park with the e-brake on.I write them up constantly but they are still death traps.Fedex is just waiting for a lawsuit when someone gets killed by one of their deathtraps.

FedExer267

We have a few trucks in the building that have broken e-brakes the response is to leave it in gear. Yep thats so much better than fixing it. Its always nice to work for a company that values the delivery of a package more than ones well being.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
we have trucks that will roll down a hill in park with the e-brake on.I write them up constantly but they are still death traps.Fedex is just waiting for a lawsuit when someone gets killed by one of their deathtraps.

You should just refuse to drive it. If you do, and it rolls away, they'll blame you. Would you expect anything else? Oh, and we don't have enough PowerPads to go around either. More good planning. P-S-P, and FedEx Cares...not one bit. On Xmas Eve, while we're out humping pkgs, MT3 will be under Fred's desk while they all sip fine champagne and congratulate themselves on getting away with it for another year. Dave will be anxiously awaiting his turn to "congratulate" Fred.

LTFedExer

Sorry to say it hasn't been as dramatic here. Volume picked up, but nothing we can't handle. A few PM couriers have been late getting out, but not that bad and not everyday. My truck was pulled off the line by the mechanic for 15 minutes because a tire was bald and he wouldn't even let me use it for P1's.

FedEx Guy/FedExer267 - I have to say MFE has a point. I know I wouldn't be driving those trucks.

mungrin

Banned
Does anyone think we are getting a raise?My managers say that we definitely wont but my managers are usually wrong about anything and everything.We just had an audit today and i heard we didnt do too great.One of the things we did bad on was trucks being used that weren't signed off on by management or the mechanic.

Jenga!

"The strategy to deal with that? That would be no plan at all. No runners, no casuals. no cartage agents. Just work harder, be safe, take your breaks, and don't expect any more money."

I was hired along with well over 100 hundred other people to work at a FedEx facility through the holidays. When I showed up, along with around 70 other new workers, they gave us our work areas and had us sign in on a time sheet. We did a few short stretches and immediately went off to work.

There wasn't anything even slightly resembling a safety briefing during any of this. No "don't walk on the belts", no "don't wander through the work areas outdoors", not even a "don't lift with your back". There was no instruction on how to safe and efficiently use equipment. Employees unloading trailers were dropping walls because they couldn't reach packages near the tops of the walls. None of them were aware of what a loading stand was (at the time I wasn't aware that we had any available; I found a couple later on). For the most part I learned how to operate the equipment via trial and error. Hook two pieces of equipment up. Does it do what you were hoping it would? No? Try something else. Everywhere I went you'd see people bending over to pick up packages. They had no idea what safe lifting techniques were. At one point I saw a trailer that was being unloaded start to pull away from the dock. The two unloaders inside weren't very happy about the ordeal and the powered roller belt (is that the right term?) was wrecked as it dumped out the back of the trailer. I realize that this is the sort of thing that happens from time to time (it happened to me one time back when I worked for UPS), but it's pretty ominous that this sort of thing would happen on my very first day there.

Sorry about being somewhat vague. I don't want to give enough information to identify myself, but I am really concerned about what's happening at that warehouse. They're not even trying to prevent accidents. As far as I can tell there's no safety program, there's no training program. The supervisors are trying hard to keep things together, but appear completely overwhelmed. I just don't see how they intend to make it through Christmas without several major injuries, let alone the back injuries that they aren't even trying to avoid. What's happening there isn't safe.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
"The strategy to deal with that? That would be no plan at all. No runners, no casuals. no cartage agents. Just work harder, be safe, take your breaks, and don't expect any more money."

I was hired along with well over 100 hundred other people to work at a FedEx facility through the holidays. When I showed up, along with around 70 other new workers, they gave us our work areas and had us sign in on a time sheet. We did a few short stretches and immediately went off to work.

There wasn't anything even slightly resembling a safety briefing during any of this. No "don't walk on the belts", no "don't wander through the work areas outdoors", not even a "don't lift with your back". There was no instruction on how to safe and efficiently use equipment. Employees unloading trailers were dropping walls because they couldn't reach packages near the tops of the walls. None of them were aware of what a loading stand was (at the time I wasn't aware that we had any available; I found a couple later on). For the most part I learned how to operate the equipment via trial and error. Hook two pieces of equipment up. Does it do what you were hoping it would? No? Try something else. Everywhere I went you'd see people bending over to pick up packages. They had no idea what safe lifting techniques were. At one point I saw a trailer that was being unloaded start to pull away from the dock. The two unloaders inside weren't very happy about the ordeal and the powered roller belt (is that the right term?) was wrecked as it dumped out the back of the trailer. I realize that this is the sort of thing that happens from time to time (it happened to me one time back when I worked for UPS), but it's pretty ominous that this sort of thing would happen on my very first day there.

Sorry about being somewhat vague. I don't want to give enough information to identify myself, but I am really concerned about what's happening at that warehouse. They're not even trying to prevent accidents. As far as I can tell there's no safety program, there's no training program. The supervisors are trying hard to keep things together, but appear completely overwhelmed. I just don't see how they intend to make it through Christmas without several major injuries, let alone the back injuries that they aren't even trying to avoid. What's happening there isn't safe.

Your experience sounds very typical, but usually there is at least some attempt at pretending to do some training. This helps them blame you when you get injured doing something that they probably should have provided training on....like operating an extendo-belt, loading or unloading a FedEx CTV or non-FedEx bulk trailer etc. CYA is about all I can tell you to do, because if anything does happen, the liability will surely be shifted to you if at ll possible.

FedExer267

Yep that must be FedEx. Do yourself a favor and work safe if you get hurt they will screw you out of workers comp. Seen it happen to a few guys in my building already. FedEx is well known for disputing any injury. They throw you to the wolves and expect you to know what your doing and reality is alot of people dont know how to properly lift a box.

FedExer267

Yep even the ones where your sitting at a light and someone rear ends you. You shouldnt of been there. LOL!!! Time to start driving on the side walk.

DorkHead

We have a few trucks in the building that have broken e-brakes the response is to leave it in gear. Yep thats so much better than fixing it. Its always nice to work for a company that values the delivery of a package more than ones well being.

If they instruct you to drive a truck with a broken or malfunctioning e-brake, call the DOT after you leave the building to meet you on road

Catatonic

Nine Lives

If they instruct you to drive a truck with a broken or malfunctioning e-brake, call the DOT after you leave the building to meet you on road

A safe driver would never get out of the seat with just the e-brake on. You should cut the vehicle off, put vehicle in the lowest forward gear and apply the e-brake.
Try telling the DOT that you are only using an e-brake to secure an unattended vehicle ... that could be interesting.

LTFedExer

Negative. If it won't stay in place with the truck in park and the brake on, it's a transmission problem, not just an e-brake malfunction.

bbsam

Staff member
A safe driver would never get out of the seat with just the e-brake on. You should cut the vehicle off, put vehicle in the lowest forward gear and apply the e-brake.
Try telling the DOT that you are only using an e-brake to secure an unattended vehicle ... that could be interesting.

True. In fact, I'm not even sure an E-brake is required. It's one of my least favorite repairs because drivers inevitably drive off with the e-brake applied and burn up the shoes. Also, I believe the correct terminology is "hand brake" because it is not only for "e (emergency)" situations.