UPS Will not be Dominant in the next Decade

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
The state of America, fecal matter for brains
5270167A-A4E8-4905-B344-BE58AED3910C.jpeg

Over70irregs

The sky isn’t falling here but I expect ups to have a rough next 5-7 years. We’re spending a ton of money on infrastructure that’s out dated, hiring a bunch of fulltime drivers, starting Saturday and Sunday delivery, this all costs big money. A recession in this time period would really hurt.
Spending too much. AMZN is going to leave Brown hanging, then we will be overwhelmed with infrastructure. Then Brown will blame (drum roll) US!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
We have drivers working preload and twilight sorts. Then being told to bring their browns with them in case they need to run a route later. What happened to no more then 90 minutes between sorts or 10 hours off.

In the Central, back-to-back shifts are required for the 90 minute gap to apply.

"Where the work of two (2) part-time employees is available back-to-back (ninety [90] minute gap or less), laid off full-time employees must take the work of two part-time employees."

Preload-Twilight wouldn't enjoy that provision.

H.E. Pennypacker

Mmm, Mombasa!
UPS leadership is foolish and have no concept of sound strategy. This is uncontroversial.

The reason why we're going to go down hard, and soon, however, is because UPS thinks it can play the cheap labor game with expensive union labor.

Instead of playing to our advantage: depth of service, we cut service (C.I.R.) and play to the competitor's advantage. A smart company would increase depth of service and force its competitors, by way of customer expectation, to increase their level of service beyond which their cheap labor-force can provide. For every service UPS provides its competitors must provide an offering.

UPS has totally lost control of the shipping industry by allowing cheap labor, and cost cutting, to become the rule. We have remained dominant in the dawn of cheap labor and half-assed service, but don't expect that to last.
Amazon can/will operate at a loss and their shareholders and investors accept that. How can expensive union labor compete against them by playing the game according to their rules?

Personally, I have spent the last three years investing in property, and other endeavors, so that in five years or so I can comfortably watch UPS crumble and its leadership and invertebrate minions commit suicide.
I kindly prompt all UPSers to do the same.
GM_20160824_103321.gif