Peak Season

brownrod

Peak used to be my favorite time of year. I would get some resi route with 200-250 stops. Until last year where I did a different route every day. Last year I finally realized why drivers hate peak. Crossing my fingers that I can get on a good resi route for this year.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
"You guys try to cram on the shelf"?? I guess the loader decides how many stops you have to make. Glad I don't load for you. You make more in a day, than I do in a week and still you fuss like my wife!

Great response, I like you too. Felt an urge to defend your opinion until I read this and then knew you could take care of yourself.

Since PAS there are no more custom loads. If the stinkiing label says it goes on the shelf, it goes on the shelf. Not the loaders fault. I loaded in the pre-PAS days and the drivers would tell me how to load the car. Listened, loaded and we had mutual respect. I feel for the loaders now.

If a loader can do better for you, show him/her. Let them know what they can do to make those pkgs stay put if it's possible. Most people do give a darn about the kind of job they do, even us inside grunts.

It's also true that drivers make big bucks. Yes, it's hard work but the money and benefits are certainly there. Don't crap on the loaders if they are doing the best they can.

Good posts. The PAS took the integrity out of the job as a preloader. It's now 4-5 even 6 car pulls! It used to be 2-3 cars, yet the preloader KNEW them streets, number sections, etc... almost like the driver!@

Those days are long gone.

honestly disgusting...preloaders do not care nearly as much as 10 years ago ..drivers AND managers massage loads prior to start times here.

Notcool

Don't post much just read but this had me cracking up. I am on twilight and for the first peak season there have been no new hires on my belt. We have got POUNDED the past two days I worked 7 hours on Monday. I have been there 5 years and still the lowest seniority on my belt. Glad to have a job but they are killing us!

Erich83

hey how many times can you call off b4 you get fired im a new loader pt and collect unemployment or a partial check... point is how many days can you call off b4 your canned and your not in the union..oh this is a nice part time job but i dunno about a career in the box loading feild my back is killing me

I can't stand elitist drivers. Maybe some skipped the load route and just got hired as straight drivers but the attitude and lack of appreciation for loaders is astounding. I especially love the drivers(minority) who complain behind the backs of union protected loaders instead of pulling them aside and politely giving them pointers. Yeah, the former is going to accomplish a lot.

You either simply don't understand or simply forgot what most loaders have to deal with during Peak. It is a chaiotic situation, loading 3-5 trucks, IREGs, people constantly missing packages, pulls, rollers, etc All of this on hopefully some sleep because of a 2:30 AM start time and a shift that will surely last 6+ hours.

The last thing anybody wants to hear is chirping from somebody who rolls in on a high horse at 8 AM.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I can't stand elitist drivers. Maybe some skipped the load route and just got hired as straight drivers but the attitude and lack of appreciation for loaders is astounding. I especially love the drivers(minority) who complain behind the backs of union protected loaders instead of pulling them aside and politely giving them pointers. Yeah, the former is going to accomplish a lot.

You either simply don't understand or simply forgot what most loaders have to deal with during Peak. It is a chaiotic situation, loading 3-5 trucks, IREGs, people constantly missing packages, pulls, rollers, etc All of this on hopefully some sleep because of a 2:30 AM start time and a shift that will surely last 6+ hours.

The last thing anybody wants to hear is chirping from somebody who rolls in on a high horse at 8 AM.

You tell 'em!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

hey how many times can you call off b4 you get fired im a new loader pt and collect unemployment or a partial check... point is how many days can you call off b4 your canned and your not in the union..oh this is a nice part time job but i dunno about a career in the box loading feild my back is killing me

Call in tomorrow and Friday and let us know what they say to you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree--I think drivers who were hired off the street are all jerks.

upsgrunt

My suggestion is go to work every day you are scheduled- on time. You asked UPS for a job, not the other way around. This is not the company or the time of year to be playing the games you are asking about.

stoni24

Sweet!! If nothing else, at least I gave us all a place to vent!!

One point..... custom loads, what all u 20 plus year guys want..

I do care about your load and making your day easier.. but please explain how I can custom load your car and load the other 3 by pas labels, while in a constant jog for 5+hrs. today my 4th car had 160+stops so my cars were junky. Most of my drivers are great people but 25% of you think ur loaders stand around all morning and load 1 car. amazing!!!

Erich83

why i was told job lasts till december 31st so say your welcome for me helping out :) why whats the company gonna do to me hunt me down

Erich83

My suggestion is go to work every day you are scheduled- on time. You asked UPS for a job, not the other way around. This is not the company or the time of year to be playing the games you are asking about.
why i was told job lasts till december 31st so say your welcome for me helping out why whats the company gonna do to me hunt me down? wow you guys are like in the SS or fanatics..

c23jmp

cjay
How many of you guys actually look out for your loaders at Xmas?meaning xmas gifts?my loaders works her buns off loading 3 cars with 1200 pcs,250-300 stops per car and no complaining.We hook her up every year for xmas and show her we appreciate the great job she does..

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How many of you guys actually look out for your loaders at Xmas?meaning xmas gifts?my loaders works her buns off loading 3 cars with 1200 pcs,250-300 stops per car and no complaining.We hook her up every year for xmas and show her we appreciate the great job she does..

My previous loader, who is now a corrections officer, was easily the best in the building and I had no problem with the $100 tip I gave him each year. My current loader tries but just doesn't compare. He is a long distance runner and I have offered to sponsor his entry ($40) in to our local half marathon as his Christmas tip.

One of the first things I tell new drivers is to take care of their loaders as they can make or break your day.